Opinions on accuracy

Nozler

First and foremost: Do to certain medication that I take, I can't hold a pistol as steady as I would like to be able to. Plus, I am at school now and I can't have my firearms up here with me so I cannot practice as much as I want to either. The gun that I would grab if the alarm went off in the middle of the night (at home) would be my .40 USPc. I could hit a person within any distance I would be shooting in our house but not without having a completely clear shot (ie. no hostage type shooting or obsure targets). I just went to shoot over the summer (by this point it has been over a year since I last shot) and I had trouble keeping the hits on a human target at 10yrds. So my current protection plan involves only shooting at 5 or less yrds or just use the threat of firepower for home protection.
Now to my question:
Would I benefit from the use of a full-size (read heavier) handgun. I think my family's next gun purchase, I get to decide this :), is going to be a WC KZ-45. This will be sometime from now. I do know that practice is what makes the biggest difference and I will when it is possible to do so but overall do you think this will be a good move?

JohnK

Hello Nozler, first off don't even consider using the handgun as just a "threat of firepower" you need to either be willing and able to use it or find an alternative.

Have you considered getting a short light shotgun until you're off the medication (I hope it's not something long term!) and can shoot your handgun more accuratly? Even a little 410 is a devestating defensive weapon at short ranges you'll have in your house.

I know for sure, but I don't think you'll find a heavier gun of all that much help. I would expect practice to make a much larger difference. But to find out why don't you go to the range and rent something heavier? Or see if someone there is shooting a heavier gun and will let you try a few rounds? I've found that most people are very willing to let others shoot their guns, especially if you offer a trade of letting them shoot yours.

blades67

I would suggest you spend that money on a couple of shooting classes. If you're on this medication long term, a good instructor should be able to help you find ways to improve your skills while you're on it. You could then adapt those lessons when you no longer need to be medicated.

Depending on the medication, you may be better off locking up any guns you have and get a well trained dog. It's the same principle as not carrying a gun after you've had a couple of beers. It's something to consider anyway.

Hello Nozler,

Try bracing the gun or your hands against a wall or post if the range allows this.

With a semi-auto, you have to make sure that the wall doesn't interfere with the travel of the slide.

I hear that the .40 has a "snappy" recoil. This can distract some shooters and cause a flinch.

You may be better off with a .38 Special revolver. Police trade-ins can be found in the $135-$165 range in good condition.

Good luck, and let us know how you do next time out.

-Mk.IV