Opinions on a Smith and Wesson Ladysmith

Dano4734

I am going to get my 35 year old daughter a good carry gun. She doesn't like semi autos
I am thinking of a. 38 lady Smith.. Any thoughts
Thank you.. Dan

DaleA

If I type fast I might be able to be the first one to recommend a very good web site that covers this topic and several others about gun owner ship too.

https://www.corneredcat.com/

The best thing would probably to let her decide and pick out her own gun. If it's her own choice she might value it more and then you don't have to take the blame if she doesn't like it...win-win.

To your specific question I like the Lady Smith just fine, I wish I would have bought one (or two) when they were readily available new.

Here's a nice picture of a model 65.
http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-re...l-65-m65ls-question-about-trigger-hammer.html

Last edited:

gyvel

The Ladysmiths are just a name put on certain models. You could do just as well with a Model 36 or 60 or a standard Model 13 or 65.

Last edited:

old bear

Dano, the Lady Smith name was really marketing hype, to attract female buyers. That being said, I have one Lady Smith, a M 65-5, it's a high quality revolver, but no better than any of my other S&W products.

rodfac

That corneredcat web site is a good one; brings up viewpoints and issues that elude some of us males. As pointed out above, let HER make the choice...and I'd add, don't show her only models you're interested in. Do get in a range session before buying...it's easy to make a bad choice if you don't.

Revolvers are always a good choice in my opinion for anyone not interested in guns as a hobby, but more as a tool for self defense. DA trigger pulls can be heavy, but gunsmithing and/or spring changes can cure that particular bugaboo. Lastly, a too light gun, with a short barrel may not be a good choice. A range session before purchase will help sort that out as well. J-frames are just enought smaller to accomodate as smaller hand size if that's a consideration too.

Rod

lee n. field

I am going to get my 35 year old daughter a good carry gun. She doesn't like semi autos
I am thinking of a. 38 lady Smith.. Any thoughts
Thank you.. Dan

Looking at it, there are a bunch of things with the Ladysmith label. Which one in particular?

Beyond "not liking semiautos", how familiar is she with handguns?

The first g00gle hit for me was a short barrel j-frame snub. Maybe not the best choice.

If it's this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_%26_Wesson_Model_60, I'd like one.

Dano4734

Lady Smith

Thanks folks, my daughter is a newbee but taking professional lessons at the range
She wants a little snub just for carry, so I noticed the lady Smith by Smith and Wesson

lee n. field

She wants a little snub just for carry, so I noticed the lady Smith by Smith and Wesson

Yep, any quality snub should do. It doesn't have to have a "girly" label on it.

The neat thing about revolvers is that new grips can completely change the way a gun handles. I personally found the default rubber "boot" style grip that my S&W 642 came with to be painful, and replaced it with something larger and more to my liking.

BTW, "a little snub for the little lady" is maybe not the best way to go, for someone not terribly familiar with guns.

Last edited:

Dave Chuppa

I would take her to a Range wear you can rent what you can't barrow and let her try as many guns as she can. I have bought a few guns that guys by for someone els without them shooting them first.

tallball

A snub 38 special if she is okay with the recoil.

A snub 32 H&R magnum or 327 magnum if she isn't.

I much prefer hammerless for carry.

springer99

If she plans to carry that snubby in her purse, then I'd suggest you look at one of the S&W models made in SS or steel, NOT the very popular aluminum frame models like the 442 or 642. A model 36, 649 or 60 would be a better choice. They only weigh around 9oz or so more than the aluminum frame models and are the same dimensions, but are much nicer to shoot due to the increased weight.

carguychris

I would also recommend looking at the Ruger LCR. I can shoot the LCR substantially better than an Airweight Smith despite having much less trigger time overall. :) Additionally, the LCR is available in .327 Federal Magnum (6 shots, can fire lower-recoil .32 H&R Magnum) and 9mm (cheaper ammo than .38Spl and reloads fast, although the shooter must deal with moon clips).

FWIW it should be mentioned that IMHO full-power .327 Federal Magnum isn't necessarily a low-recoil cartridge in the truest sense. Yes, "it's only a .32" and fires lightweight bullets, but it operates at HIGHER max pressure than .357 Magnum. Tests indicate that its recoil impulse actually falls somewhere between .38Spl and .357Mag and muzzle blast is substantial. Additionally, all of the .32-caliber revolver cartridges suffer from spotty availability and generally high prices (assuming you don't handload).

Howdy

So I guess it would be a little presumptuous of me to mention that this is a Ladysmith. Seven shot, 22 Long, made from 1902 until 1921. This one is a 3rd Model Ladysmith that shipped in May of 1910.

Ladysmith%2002_zpsmjgndpsf.jpg

To see how small these were, here it is with a Model 36.

Ladysmith%2003_zpsn1bsnhry.jpg

Anything else using the name Ladysmith is an impostor.

Jim Watson

There were J and K frame Ladysmiths. I don't know what the present lineup has. But the K frame is much more "shootable" if you don't mind the weight.

Early on the new production Ladysmith .38s had a "frosted" finish, burgundy laminated wood grips, and a reduced rebound spring.
That last item will reduce the DA pull a bit. But you can get them for any S&W revolver.

They made Ladysmith 9mms, too. I knew a woman who bought one of those on the strength of the advertising. It was still tough for her to handle. Not just racking the slide but the DA first shot.

Dano4734

Smith

She is little but tough, black belt, iron man competitor and former nfl cheerleader
I ggave her and her husband my model 29 44 mag as they live in alaska and she nailed the target. Hated the recoil but I said it's only for bear emergency. She has her mind set on a snub that can handle +p

verdun59

Try the Ruger LCR .357 model and shoot .38spl. The extra ounces makes it much more pleasant to practice and shoot.

2afreedom

I love revolvers and think.they are a viable carry option. Keep in mind though that most inexperienced shooters will have trouble shooting a snub accurately. I would strongly encourage looking at a 3 inch barrel in whatever caliber you choose unless the lady is a crack shot. If you go with the shorter barrel just realize it make taje some practice to be accurate.

Vet66

Well, I know that a 3" K frame LS is sort of large for a Young Lady to carry, perhaps there are smaller versions on a smaller frame. I'm sure the knowledgeable will chime in.

Lady%20Smith%2065_zpsxrv6iazk.jpg