Opinions on a smith 649 & 638

lee40215

Looking at getting a revolver for coat carry this winter. These 2 smiths are what I’m looking at like to keep the da/sa instead of dao. Don’t have any revolvers mainly all semi auto. Thoughts on these or other suggestions.

Dan-O

Don’t think you could do much better. One is all steel, the other is steel and aluminum.

I’d lean more towards the 638 for your stated use. It’s also got a shorter barrel so it’ll clear your pocket easier.

Ingramite

Great choices.

Mine are way more accurate than I am. Or in other words, I'm the weak link, not the short barrel.

What you have going against you today is the shortage of .38 spl ammo. The recoil is sharp too. So between expensive and scarce ammo and a recoiling pistol that's not a lot of fun to shoot it will take some dedication to practice to a level of proficiency with any snub nose revolver.

burrhead

I'm a fan of the ol' humpback. Except for a couple of old 22-32s, they're the only J frames I own and consider them to be the best of the small 38s. I have a pre-lock 638 that I carry if I need to be discrete and with practice it's very shootable. YMMV but I like the plain old wood service stocks.

Good choice.

Carmady

Of the two I'd go for the 638, but since you're open to other suggestions I'd go with a 9mm LCRx which has the exposed hammer spur. The Hogue Bantam boot grip would help with pocket carry.

LCRx with regular grip

Attachments

• LCRx.jpg
    LCRx.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 31

Doyle

I'm not a fan of S&W's "shiny coating" on their aluminum revolvers. I've seen too many cases where it flakes off. I think the "4XX" versions with the black anodized coating holds up better.

reppans

Another fan of the humpbacks - I own both and they’re my only J-frames. Both are great, but the .357 649 is probably my favorite handgun period. The weight and SS have a more solid/quality feel to it, the additional weight makes 38s and +Ps more accurate and a pleasure to shoot. 357s are not a whole lot of fun, but you get used it and I like having that option to theoretically offset the capacity disadvantage. If I pocket carried, then the 638’s weight advantage would count more, but for AIWB and OWB where my belt carries it, the additional weight is worth it to me.

lee40215

Picked up the 638 should be here in a couple days. Still gonna look for the 649. Looked hard at the ruger stayed away because of the hammer didn’t want anything that Might hang up

burrhead

Like I posted earlier, I'm a fan of these pistols but there is something of a learning curve. I suggest you start off with some light loads like wadcutters or lighter weight bullets. Also use a high grip; I grip high enough that the little hammer nub just slides under the web of my thumb. You'll get better control that way.

Don't get frustrated if you're not very accurate with it at first. Keep practicing and soon you'll be banging out those 158s at 15 plus yards and putting them where you want them. It'll put a smile on your face.

lee n. field

Looking at getting a revolver for coat carry this winter. These 2 smiths are what I’m looking at like to keep the da/sa instead of dao. Don’t have any revolvers mainly all semi auto. Thoughts on these or other suggestions.

steel vs. light alloy -- whatever floats your boat. I have both, carry both. Light is very convenient, very pocketable. Heavy is more pleasant to shoot.

Choice of grip (and there are a myriad options) helps with shootability.

Shrouded hammer is your choice. My preference is a factory bobbed DAO hammer.

442 & 642 (enclosed hammer .38 snubs) are very common, S&W "bread and butter" .38 snubs.

Last edited:

CorvZ061

I've had a 642, enclosed hammer, and it was a great shooter but I prefer an exposed hammer, So naturally I picked up a 360, 357 scandium framed 357 mag. It kicks like a mule with full house magnum loads, but not totally unpleasant you just wouldn't want to shoot them all day. I've never met a J frame that didn't shoot far better than one would expect it to.

shurshot

I love my 642, but it's not the easiest gun to shoot accurately. Violent recoil though with +P's... be ready for a handful.
If you have large, deep winter coat pockets, or are open to either an IWB or OWB holster, I would suggest a 4" model 10 S&W .38 Special. The extra weight will easily absorb some of the recoil if you use +P's . That extra 2" of sight picture that the 4" offers makes a HUGE difference with accuracy, at least for me. And you have 6 shots instead of 5. Just a thought!

JERRYS.

I like my 649 but my wife likes it more and has some laser grips on it. for pocket carry revolvers I've found my 342PD Ti to be the better of the choices though only beating the 642 by about 4 ounces if that matters to you.

Attachments

• 81725239_679932025874405_298558174770757632_n.jpg
    81725239_679932025874405_298558174770757632_n.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 27