Opinions on a -LIGHT- .38 Special load

Sevens

I'm making loads to feed a 97-year old Hand Ejector/4th Change and I'm really wanting to make a very nice, easy load but using the components that I have on hand. That means I don't intend to chase down any full wadcutters... but I still wish to make some of the LIGHTEST rounds I can make.

Tested some last weekend:
.38 Special, 158gr Dardas LSWC over 3.2gr Bullseye

These worked just fine and please don't get the idea that I think they were too "hot." Obviously, nothing of the sort. In fact, I actually shoot a lot of .357 Magnum for pure enjoyment (out of OTHER guns), so it's not that I'm recoil sensitive.

What I'm saying is... even the 3.2gr Bullseye load pushing 158gr LSWC seemed a little bit "HEAVIER" than what I'm looking for.

Published load data goes no lower than that.
Well known loads exist with a lighter charge of Bullseye, but all of those are for use with a target wadcutter of some nature that's eating up all of that space in the brass.

Suggestions for me to make a 158gr LSWC any softer for use in this nearly century old revolver? I am going to have to be buying and trying Trail Boss to go lighter?

Thanks for any comments, ideas, or even some Quickload results! ;)

zxcvbob

I wonder if there's any .38LC load data available?

With lead bullets, there is very little danger of underloading a fast powder like Bullseye. I would try 3.0 and maybe 2.8 grains.

Nick_C_S

I know you want to use components on hand. And I did too. But finally, I decided that if I really really wanted to create a true cat sneeze recoil round, I had to buy components dedicated for it.

38 Short Colt; 100g DEWC; 1.8g Bullseye. About 630 fps.

Last edited:

SVTCobra306

Another for trail boss! Even under a 158 grn semi-wadcutter it feels like a .22 mag. I use 3.5 gr for target loads, they are nice and accurate for bunny farts.

reloader28

I'm with Nick.
I had some 103gr LFN with 1.5gr Bullseye in 38spl from a 357.
No recoil whatsoever, but at 15yds the bullet bounced of the plywood target and landed at my feet. Literally.

I didnt go any lower with the load.:eek:
A couple grains Bullseye should do nice in a normal 38spl.

MR_X

Another for Trail Boss. I use it for my 45 ACP for competition use. The lack of muzzle rise makes it easy for target aquisition.

MR_X

Trail Boss comes up regularly. I just got 4# Fromm Bass Pro shop. Just got to keep an eye on it. I know where I can find some right now but not cheap.

mikld

With the components you have, I too suggest a light (3.0) load of Bullseye. Suggesting another powder ain't the info you wanted, but if you happen to run across any Trail Boss, buy it. Another thought, a smaller bullet (I know it ain't what you have available, but home casting is fun, relatively in expensive to start, no "shortages" of bullets, and fun). You can cast a bunch of 125 gr. RNFP bullets that will work great in your gun as well as 148 gr. wadcutters, 105 gr. and 140 gr. semi-wadcutters, 90 gr and 150 gr. round nose, to name a few...:rolleyes:

Wish I could find some ( Trailboss ) been looking regularly at 3 LGS's for over a month

BTW... MRS. CAS loads are 3.5 grains of Trailboss under a 130 grain cast bullet for both the revolvers & carbine... this are mid level loads you could easily go lower

MR_X

3.5gr of Trail Boss behind 200gr bullet would barely make my slide cycle properly, even with a 12lbs recoil spring. I had to go up to 4.1gr to get it to cycle properly with the same spring.

I haven't tried Bullseye yet. Got a few lbs but in the middle of moving. Very curious how it would do with 185gr bullets.

Sevens

Well, I may just have to snag some Trail Boss if I see some, then! ;)

And Nick, appreciate your suggestion, but I guarantee I never go that route. I want a light load, but I would like it to be more than a primer pop! :p And digging up goofy brass and odd bullets, naaaa, too involved for what I'm looking for here. But just as when you posted that thread, I do find it interesting and noteworthy. Perhaps "never say never" is appropriate. :)

Nick_C_S

And digging up goofy brass and odd bullets, naaaa, too involved for what I'm looking for here.

Yeah, it became an odd obsession. A vision quest. :D

It was more than just odd brass n bullets. 38/357 dies can only do the resize/decap work. A 9mm does the flaring. A 9mm seater will work for the loading, but can only do a taper crimp. I probably (uh definitely) should have called it good at that point. But nooooooo I had to have a roll crimp. Well that requires a specific die available from RCBS - to the tune of something like $130 - ouchie.

Like I said, it was an odd obsession.

steveNChunter

2.7-2.8 grains of Clays under a 158 gr LSWC is a bunny fart .38 special load. Should be pretty accurate and clean, too. I've tried Clays with jacketed bullets in .45 acp and .38 special and it makes a good light target load.

3.1-3.2 gr of Titegroup would probably yield similar results if Clays can't be found. Never tried Trail Boss so I don't know how light these two powders are compared to it.

clemsonal

Accurate #2 is also a good choice. I use 3.3 with a 158 Nosler HP. If it's sunny, you can see the bullets going through the air.

bedbugbilly

I use 3.0 gr of BE with a 158 gr LSWC and it works well. I shoot them out of my "vintage" Smiths and Colt. They are a good target load out of my Smith 6" 1920s Target Model as well as my 1910 Colt Army Special 6". Also work great in my 1956 Smith 4" Combat Masterpiece, 1952 M & P 5". If you think the 3.0 gr of BE is still too heavy - drop back to 2.8 gr of BE.