Opinions on a chest holster

E.J.W.

I'm looking for a well made leather chest holster for when riding the ATV.
It will hold a 6" DA revolver. I have hip holsters but they interfere with the ATV seat when getting on and off and generally are low enough to allow mud to get on the gun. If anyone has experience with or uses a chest holster that is well liked I'd appreciate a comment or two on it.
Thanks.
E.

E.J.W.

Thanks for the reply. I looked at them online and it did look like good quality. Our local Cabelas does not stock them but I can get free shipping to the store. I might order one to see what it looks like in person.
Thanks.
E.

hartcreek

I do not know what your ATV riding consists of but I ride my dirt bikes on some pretty nasty ground when I hunt and I have no problem just using a Hunter holster and a leather carpenters belt or gun belt carried bandoleer style.

E.J.W.

Hartcreek,
Thanks for the suggestion. Our riding is mostly trails in the woods with creeks to cross and some steep hills to climb on our 300 acres. I did try an old Uncle Mikes holster with a nylon strap but had issues keeping it tied as there was no buckles on the strap. A belt of the correct length was not to be had in the house, but that may be a workable solution. I'll be seeing if I can get a cheap belt at Walmart to re-test that setup.
Thanks
E.

RIDE-RED 350r

I'll second the Diamond D. Guides Choice chest rig.

I have one for my S&W 460v (5" bbl) and love it! Not a cheap rig by any stretch, but I believe you get a solid product for the money.

redrick

I'll 3rd the Diamond D Guides Choice Holster . I just got mine this past fall , right before hunting season . It is very well made and very adjustable . The only con I will give it is , when you first get it , it is very tight , much tighter fitting than any other leather holster that I have and I have many . I almost thought it was made for a different gun . It does break in pretty quick .

AxlMyk

I have my Fathers' USAAF holster. Might find something at a surplus store.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1479 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1479 (Small).JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 173

michaelcj

Try El Paso Saddlery for a well made Tanker style holster. I have one for my 1911 and my godson has one for his Colt SAA. Well made, comfortable, and affordable.

wogpotter

My big concern with a chest mounted holster would be violating rule 2
(2. Always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.)
or rule 5
(5. Never point the gun at anything you don't intend to destroy.)
Most chest rigs I've seen point the muzzle somewhere near your elbow!

RIDE-RED 350r

wogpotter: OK, what about shoulder rigs?? Some point the muzzle straight down, others point the muzzle directly behind you and potentially right at someone walking/standing behind you.

I think it's fair to say the most any type of holster points the muzzle at or very very near some part of the body. I would estimate that there really isn't a holster out there that carries in such a manner that the muzzle is pointed in a "safe" direction. Even hip holsters.. I'm sure an AD from a 44mag in a hip holster has a high likelihood to be quite unpleasant.

But IMHO, it's a non-issue. Handguns don't fire by themselves. Don't carry a revolver with the hammer cocked, and carry your autos in the proper carry config, cocked and locked, or de-cocked depending on the type.

JERRYS.

if its going to be subjected to abuse/neglect during trail riding fun on a 4 wheeler, I'd go with a nylon uncle mikes or similar. there are plenty to choose from, they are low cost, and you wont feel bad after it gets beat up/dirty.

9ballbilly

I use a Simply Rugged holster with the optional chest rig for backpacking. It works great for me as it rides comfortably under the pack's shoulder straps and waist belt.

Might be worth a look.

RIDE-RED 350r

What about shoulder rigs?? Well, your previous post suggested that chest rigs are inherently unsafe due to the direction the muzzle is pointed when the weapon is in the holster. I am aware that this isn't about shoulder rigs. I was using it as an example that most, if not all holsters will carry a handgun in a manner in which the muzzle is pointed in a less-than-safe direction. That's the only point I was making.

Of course, it is a matter of personal preference as far as what type of holster a person chooses. You do not favor the chest rig, and that is fine. But I believe that your assertion that the chest rig is inherently unsafe is false.

E.J.W.

I think I'll be ordering a Simply Rugged "loaded" holster and the chest harness. I spoke with Rob there and really like the idea of one holster that could be worn on a belt either strong side or cross draw and also used with the chest harness when preferred.
I do appreciate all the replies as I did not know about Simply Rugged before now.
Thanks again.
E.