Opinions on 44 SPL Ammo?

mountainclmbr

I keep a 44 SPL Charter Arms revolver stashed in a convenient location at home. Which load do folks prefer? I currently have Cor Bon 165 JHP with the box stating velocity of 1125 FPS (but, with what barrel length?). I also have Federal 200 lead semi wadcutter HP. What is opinion on both of these and is there anything else I should try? This gun shoots everything pretty well.

Archie

.44 Special

In the Charter Arms five shot .44 Special, stout loads are a real chime ringer - the shooter's chimes, that is! The recoil of the CorBon loads may well be more than you want to deal with. Additionally, deforming ammunition (hollowpoints and other expanders) may not expand so well out of a short gun that does not develop the advertised velocity shown on the box.

I would opt for a somewhat light, flat fronted bullet at moderate velocity. Something like a 160 to 180 grain full or semi-wadcutter at 800 - 900 fps.

For non reloaders, the Federal 200 grain SWC is probably a good choice provided the recoil is not abusive. The factory loaded 'cowboy loads' might be a good choice as well.

A carry gun that intimidates the shooter is not recomended.

Webleymkv

I am personally partial to the Federal grn LSWCHP as I like the weight and all lead construction. Truthfully though, most .44 Spl defensive loads are good. I'd reccomend staying away from the 165grn Cor-Bons in the Charter as it's not the world's strongest revolver, Winchester 200grn Silvertips, 200grn Speer Gold Dots (these are nice because you get the same bullet in the cheaper aluminum-cased CCI Blazer), and Cor-bon 200grn DPX would all be good choices if you prefer a jacketed round. Honestly, when it comes right down to it, a 240grn LSWC like Winchester or Magtech Cowboy loads wouldn't be a bad choice if you want the extra weight (expansion is iffy from a snub .44Spl anyway).

mountainclmbr

My Charter Arms Bulldog is one of the earlier models, purchased by me around 1983. It was made in Stratford, Conn. I have fired thousands of rounds through it and never had a problem or sign of loseness or stress. Some loads were pretty heavy hand loads too. The recoil never bothered me with this small gun. I may give the Cor Bon DPX copper bullets a try. I had not considered those!

CraigC

The 200gr Gold Dot is also a very good bullet. Winchester's 200gr Silvertip is one of the most accurate factory loads I've tried. Give them a try. Those swaged hollowpoints are also very effective on flesh.

dispatcher

I feel very comfortable with 240 grain SWC's in the ones covniently placed in my house. Two Charters from the 80's.

KC135

The Cor Bon expands just fine out of my S&W 296. If you want a load with less recoil, the Winchester 200gr Silver Tip also expands well from my 296.

Do a search in the 'Test Bed' forum at www.stoppingpower.net

orionengnr

CCI Blazer with Speer Gold Dots have a good reputation in the .44 Special.

When I owned/carried 44 Spl(s), this was the load I carried. Used to be affordable, too :rolleyes:

The CorBon DPX is developing a pretty good reputation in all calibers. Not cheap, but very predictable and consistent expansion regardless of intermediate barriers.

Ozzieman

Hope this picture came out

I have had trouble in the past.
This is what I carry in my bulldog. Winchester silver tips.
These were fired through a heavy jacket and water.
They maintained 9+% of there weight and the smallest expanded to .72 inches. Note the sharp edges, there sharp as a knife.

mountainclmbr

I see that Double Tap just came out with a 44 SPL load using a 200 gr Speer Gold Dot bullet. The velocity is something in the 1100 fps range out of a 5-inch barrel.

these are what I carry in my air weight...

attachment.php

Chesster

In my old 3 inch CA Bulldogs, I feel comfortable with anything but the 246 RN leads. I prefer the Fed. LSWCHP. I have used Silvertips, SWC, Gold Dots, CorBon and cowboy loads.

Stainz

I keep GA Arms .44 Special loads for PD in my 296 and it's HKS #CA-44 speedloaders, which also fit my 696. As I have speedloaders to fit all of my DA revolvers filled with SD ammo, my #29 speedloaders also carry that ammo for my 629s. It is about the same (~$22/50) as the Al-cased Blazers with the same bullet, I'd rather get the GA Arms version - you gain a nice once-fired Starline .44 Special case. I've chrono-ed them at the same velocity, too - from a 2.5" 296 (805 fps), 3" 696 (835-840 fps), and 4" 629 (875-880 fps). Speer claims full opening at 800 fps in gelatin, while a famous forum poster has shown .75"+ OD expansion in brisket. Some others posted the same for ballistic gelatin. The boot-gripped 296 will say howdy when you light them off - my 296 has launched ~ 2,100 of them.

Note... I did try some of my usual well-crimped 240gr LSWCs (740 fps from my 3" 696.) in my 296. By the fourth round shot, that fifth one's crimp was straightening out. If it had been a six-shooter, it'd have likely jammed on the sixth round. The greatest length increase from 'crimp-slippage' in a 200gr GDJHP, mine or GA Arms, was .002" - acceptable. They should be fine in a CA Bulldog. Note: I had an Al-cased Blazer burst in my 696 - after over a 1,000 such were shot. No more for me! My homebrews were the Speer #4427, same bullet, over a mid-point, from Speer's data, 5.7gr Titegroup in a .44 Special case for 804 fps from the 296. I believe it is one of the purpose-built low speed/snubby rounds.

Stainz

PS Speer designed the #4427 for .44 Special use, with full opening by 800 fps and not to exceed 1,000 fps. They have higher velocity-rated .44 GDJHPs - for .44 Magnum use - where a 200gr 1,100 fps round would fall (ME = 536+ ft-lb!).