Opinions: Olympic Arms AR-15s

jakester

Visited the Olympic Arms website and noticed their PCR4 Rifle Kit sale. What is everyone's opinion on Olympic Arms' AR's? The price seems very fair and my limited research points to their rifles as good quality (in recent years). I have been told they have some of the best barrels for accuracy. Any owners out there to share their experiences? I am looking for a "starter AR" for limited class IPSC competition. Please don't respond with the "top-of-the-line" X-brand as the only way to go. As with many others, I shoot competition on a budget.

TargetShooter2

Oly Receivers

Hello,
I have 4 preban Olys , only one of them had a tight magwell
alittle sanding and it was drop free perfect . i also have a Oly SUM
and no problems with it either . for me Oly rifles are keepers if you get one that has a bug in it Fix it and move on . i also have ARs by Bushmaster/and have built a couple out of PWA lowers as well . Good luck & Good Shooting

TargetShooter2

chink

I have not had any problems with my Oly AR. there was alitttle issue this weekend, when my friend was shooting it, but it probably more related to my not cleaning the gun in a while or the mag or ammo.

You also have to love their naming convention. Someone once told me PCR = Politically Correct Rifle.

you gotta love it

Bob Locke

I own a PCR4 (and yes, it DOES stand for Politically Correct Rifle :D), and have been nothing but pleased with it. I will say that it had a tight chamber on it when I first got it, but I sent it back to them and they fixed it for me. Been 100% reliable ever since.

Kharn

I have a PCR-4 upper, and my girlfriend's dad has another (custom lowers on both). Great uppers, but CLEAN THE CHAMBER! My girlfriend's dad only brushes the bore to clean his rifle (all of his other guns are for straight walled cartridges), and wont listen to me when I try to explain why he gets FTEs after ~200 rounds of rapid fire and no chamber brushing. His chamber might also be tight, but he is too lazy to send it back for repair.

Kharn

CWL

Olys are fine rifles, they just cut a few corners by not finishing them as nicely as Bushie or Colt. If you hold them next to each other, you'll notice the difference. Doesn't mean they can't shoot.

Oly makes their own barrels which is a plus, they are cut to very tight tolerances so you will have problems cycling out-of-spec ammo & reloads.

Oly has a lifetime warranty, but it will take half your life to get servicing done.

motorep

A friend of mine has an Olympic Arms Ultra Match. It shoots 1" groups , at 200 yards. I've used a couple of their barrels with good results.

jakester

Thank you for your responses

I have placed the order for the PCR4 rifle kit as well as one for a T3MX Maxhard Receiver. Sould take delivery in a couple weeks. Very excited as I have not fired an AR15 since my Army days with the M16A2. That was in September of 1990, Saudi Arabia, three rounds of my 40 round basic load to verify zero before our outing into Iraq. Still remember the factory zero placed me in a quarter-sized hole about 2" left and low.