Opinions of the Winchester Model 70?

Ian0351

I am considering one of these I found very lightly used, but am curious if the company that produces them under license is worthy of Winchester's "American Classic" reputation. I believe it is a 'Model 70 Classic' as it has a Walnut Monte Carlo stock, Stainless barrel and Iron sights. Caliber is .30-06 Springfield and barrel looks like 22 or 24 inch.

What is a decent price? It has an ok-ish Bushnell 4-12 on it and again, is VERY lightly used.

GeauxTide

I gave my son a 2002 Model 70 Classic for Christmas. I bought a 70 Classic to replace it. FN started making them again in 2008 in a SC plant. The quality is still excellent. A rifle like that deserves a Leupold scope. Gunbroker still has some listed. The walnut/ss had 24" barrels and were manufactured in CT.

Snakum

Love the feel, fit, and finish of the FN Model 70s. And they should shoot even better than my USRAC Black Shadow (MOA out to almost 400 yds benched).

Killer rifle. I want one, myseff. :p

Ian0351

Thanks... any rifle I buy for deer will end up with a vx-3, when I can afford it. I am iron sights guy so any scope will be a major adjustment for me.

MC One Shot

I bought a new Model 70 in 30-06 in '08 and I love it. It is factory bedded and is an excellent shooter. I have no regrets. IMHO it is better than previous rifles. I would have liked to have seen them put iron sights on them as well.

Fat White Boy

About 7 or 8 years ago, I bought a Model 70 at WalMart in .270, my son at the same time, got one in .300 WinMag. Kind of a Black Shadow style with a synthetic stock and a Simmons scope. The only thing we replaced were the scopes with Nikons. The .270 is incredibly accurate, the .300 is no slouch, either....

skoro

I got the new Model 70 Featherweight back in September. I'm very pleased with this rifle. I mounted a Weaver Classic V scope and it's now one of my favorites.

Texased

I had a model 70 Classic LT 30-06 Wood Blue in LEFT HAND! I let it go and regretted it. I just found one and will have it inbound this week. I feel when it comes to the operating system it is a simple trigger with a proven action design. I say get it and make it yours with custom work or leave it stock. I'm sure you will be pleased. I got a Ruger with CRF and its a good rifle, however it's just not the same feel as the Model 70...Good Luck

L-Ray

Bought myself a Christmas present this year, a Model 70 Super Grade 270 WSM with a Leupold 4.5-14 50mm scope.

Fit and finish on the mod 70 is great and the wood is absolutely beautiful. Been too cold to get it out and shoot it.

Dougw47

Model 70...

I looked at a couple at B&S Guns in Garland, TX...they ran $775 to $975 new.

Wish I had one. I think they are pretty good.

hagar

Believe me, the rifles coming from FNH are every bit as good, and probably better, than Winchester produced themselves.

gak

+1 to Fat White Boy regarding the "economy" Black Shadow types. I also own a Wal-or-K Mart-sourced package Win 70 .270. Even with the cheap Simmons 3x9 it came with, it's always been a tack driver. That's been my experience with a variety of Post 64 push-feed 70s, right up through the XTRs of the 80s and 90s and my ca 2006 controlled round feed (Pre 64 type action) Featherweight was the same.

Last edited: