Opinions of the STI Total Eclipse

Cerick

I'm looking for an off duty carry gun to have with me for my upcoming career as a police officer. I wanted a double stack 1911 but and was considering the Para Hawg series but after reading reviews about the poor reliability of it, I was turned off. Then I found the STI Total Eclipse 2011 and wanted to know more about it. Does anyone own one or have you shot one? What is your experience with it and is it worth the big bucks or would a Para Hawg that was sent out to a gunsmith for reliability work do the trick. Also what would be a good IWB holster be for a double stack subcompact 1911 be. The comptac MTAC and the crossbreed supertuck don,t have a fit specifically for this gun.

shanzlik

I have tried some of the full size 2011 models, and if I had the $ I would already own one. I haven't had the chance to try a compact 2011. Their website says the Total Eclipse is a double stack version of the Shadow. I carry the Shadow daily and highly recommend it, and I wrote a review of it on here recently. Wish I could tell you more about the TC specifically.

The only downside to the 2011s I have heard is that the magazines sometimes take some tweaking to feed 100% reliably. Not sure if that was factory or aftermarket ones.

For holsters, try checking with some of the vendors at this link.

http://stiguns.com/Holsters.php

shanzlik

Tucker Gunleather makes leather holsters for the full size 2011 according to their model list, so you could also check with them.

scorpion_tyr

I've got a Para Big Hawg. The finish is absolute crap, and the gun needed a break in period, but after that's it's fed everything without any problems.

If you don't care about dings and scratches and you're willing to deal with breaking it in, go with the Para.

If you want 14 or 15+1 in .45 ACP check out the FNP-45. It'll save you some cash and some headaches at the range.