Opinions of the Sig 522 rifle

Huskerguy

I have always liked the looks of them. Now looking seriously at one. I can pick one up for $450 and mags are $19.50. I like the feel of the rifle but don't want a jammer or something that shots all over the place. What has been your experience with this rifle?

CWO4USCGRET

To me...

the Ruger SR22 feels like an overweight Ruger 10/22 wearing an aluminum 4 sided tactical front stock...as heavy as it is, it is also overpriced, in a Ruger sort of way. I didn't dislike it; I just don't like it enough to buy one.

I do have a few of the EBR Rimfires; I have the Walther made, Colt named, Umarex imported M4s, the S&W M&P 15 .22, a GSG5 Pistol, and a Professional Ordnance Carbon 15 .22 AR. I also have a "standard" Ruger 10/22 and a US Shooting Team Ruger 10/22 Race Gun. I am looking to get, next week, a Sig 522 to round out the collection.... I haven't had the chance to shoot the Race Gun or the S&W yet but the others are all good shooting rifles. Here's a few photos to leer at:

carbon_15.jpg

Professional Ordnance Carbon 15 .22
colt_ar_22.jpg

Colt M4 .22
s_w_ar_22_1.jpg

S&W M&P 15 .22 AR
ruger_race_gun_2.jpg

Ruger Race gun

Huskerguy

Ruger

I have several 10/22 models. Frankly I was pretty excited about the SR22 and then I saw one and was immediately disappointed. It looked like a 10/22 with some dressing around it. If I wanted a 10/22 I would just buy one - which I did several times.

I like everything about the Sig, its feel, weight, balance but have never shot one or been around one being shot. So I am trying to get some opinions on the rifle.

Glocker89

I bought the sig 522 about 2 months ago. I put maybe 350rds through it and it was not a fun 350rds. The gun kept on having failure to fires. It wasn't the ammo. I used all types of ammo from cci to the crappy Remington. It didn't matter. About 10 out of the 25 would fail to go off most of the time. Also after about 200rds when I opened up my 522 to clean after I was done shooting the bolt group just shotout of the gun. It broke and the recoil spring flew onto the other room. So I had to wait 2 weeks for sig to send me the new parts for the bolt. Even then afte I got it back together with the new parts kit from sig the 522 didn't work any better. One thing that really ****** me off was the fake gass block was lose and it woul slide back and forth about a half and inch or so and the handgaurds slid back and fourth everytime I pick up the rifle or shoulders the rifle. So when you put it up to your shoulder the handgaurds would pull back. There is nothing you can do to tighten the fake gas block down so the handgaurds wouldn't move. So after all the problems I just said screw it and traded for a s&w m&p 15-22. It's a much better rifle all around. Still no problems with it after 350ish rds. Plus I Moded it out. You can't do mods on the sig. There are a 100 reasons I would suggest the 15-22. Hope this helps.

Quentin2

CWO4USCGRET, after you have had time with the S&W M&P 15-22 I would be interested in how it compares with the Colt/Umarex M4-22. I've heard complaints about the Colt/Walther but to me it looks the most like a true M4. Does it accept a standard AR carry handle or is it a lighter airsoft style?

No complaints on the Colt? Is it reliable and feels like a quality firearm?