Opinions of the Bersa thunder 40

DBski

Does anyone have any Experiance with this model? It is the full size, 13 rd capacity. What about reliability, accruracy, ergonomics? A dealer here has one for $365 otd. I'm being tempted. Let's hear from the owners of the Bersa 40 on their opinions.
Thanks in advance.

WVfishguy

I have a full-size Bersa Thunder .40. Mine is black matte. The nickel finish looks great - I wish I had got that one.

$365 is a good price for a new Bersa .40. You get a lifetime warranty with a new Bersa, but I do not think it is transferable if you sell it (I may be wrong on that).

I love this gun. I can shoot it quite well. The weight makes recoil is very manageable, and the .40 cal is, in my opinion, the perfect pistol caliber. It's nice to have 13 rounds per mag.

I have big hands, so the Thunder .40 fits me well. If you have small hands, I'd forget the full size Bersa. Get the Compact model. For me, the ergos are perfect for both.

Warning: Bersa is NOT a high-end pistol which will be perfect right out of the box. A serious break-in period is needed. You should be prepared to fire at least 300 rounds out of that puppy. Likewise, dry-firing and working the controls loosens the pistol. Mine's smooth as silk now.

In other words, Bersas works better if you shoot them a lot and play with them. :p If you just want a gun to buy and store it until needed, buy another brand - or get a revolver.

Mine used to occasionally lock the slide back with a round still left in the mag. I found I was limp-wristing quite badly when that happened. If you hold the pistol firmly, like it should be for follow-up shots, FTF's cease. I fired 4 full mags rapidly last week, with no failures.

Buy your extra mags from Eagle Imports, and get 'em quick. They appear to be getting hard to find. There are no after market mags I know of.

All in all, Bersas are a great alternative to pistols which cost 2 or 3 times as much. I plan to get a Bersa .40 Compact in the future.

Check out http://bersatalk.com/ for more info.