Opinions of pump action (gallery gun) .22LRs?

croyance

So I'm looking at .22LRs to learn rifle with, but I'm thinking it should be fun while still being resonably accurate and hopefully easy to clean. Nice to know that it is me and not the gun that is off, I have enough stuff to clean, and fun just encourages more practice.
I was thinking of a bolt action, but it turns out there are a few pump .22's in my area available. One is a Winchester, another a Browning, I think a Remingtion, and some others.

Is this something that I can expect some reasonable accuracy with? Are there models that were just plain bad? Any particularly good models to look out for?

Thanks for your help.

sid201

my 22 colection...

includes a Remington572 pumpaction I've found it to be pretty acurate(better than me anyway)

dmckean44

A bolt action will be more accurate but the pump will be more fun to plink with.

I love the semi-autos though, 22LR are great for practicing rapid fire without spending a ton on ammo. I have a Taurus Model 63 (gallery style), Browning Buckmark Sporter and a Ruger 10/22. The first two are a lot of fun but the Ruger was a headache. I eventually changed out enough factory parts with aftermarket parts to make it as accuate and reliable as the other two though.

Drue

My .22 plinker is a Remington Model 12 pump rifle and it is a lot of fun to shoot. It is not drilled and tapped for a scope but the iron sights are fine for cans, mud clods, clay target fragments etc. It would work on small game within the shooter's iron sight range.

It takes a little more effort to clean a rifle with an enclosed receiver rather than a bolt action and the barrel can't usually be cleaned with a rod from the breach. To throughly clean the action, the rifle would have to be disassembled but for for "normal" cleaning, the crud can be cleaned out of the action with Q tips. The barrel can be cleaned from the breach with a bore snake or using the patch-on-a weed whacker-filament method.

The only .22 pump guns in current production that I am aware of are the Remington 722 and the Taurus copy of the Winchester 1890. There are a number of others that show up on he used market. I am not aware of any significant differences in performance between the various models of the .22 pump rifle. I would select one based upon availability, appearance, condition and price.

Drue

maas

i own a winchester model 62. it was my great grandfathers and though it dosnt look pretty it shoots great. if you can find a mechanical sound one at at good price buy it. dont rule out a nice leaver there fun plinkers too

Attachments

• ruger 024.jpg
    ruger 024.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 67

croyance

Are manuals available on-line? Since some are discontinued and all I have found have no box, knowing how to field strip is a concern.

870 wingmaster

Well I have a remington 572 pump, A ruger 10\22 semi auto, And a CZ 452 bolt action and I like them all but without a doubt my CZ bolt action I like the most!!!! I use that more than the others. I wouldnt say one is more fun than the others, I just like the accuracy and the CZ bolt action has it!!!:)

FirstFreedom

The Henry H003 pump and the Rem 572 pump will both feed shorts & longs, in addition to LR rounds, if ya like that sorta thing. I do. I don't know of any others that do this reliably. I don't believe the Win 62s or Taurus clones of same will feed them. Pumps are the fastest, funnest repeaters out there save semi-autos, IMO. My Henry is very accurate with Rem subsonics, of all things. Looks like they discontinued the regular Henry pump, and only offer the cowboy style octagon bbl ones now - shame because the standard ones are light, short, handy dudes (18 or 18.5" bbl).

I believe the old model 12 Rems will slamfire, if that's your thang. (i.e. just hold down the trigger and work the pump for super fast semi-auto). Be careful, because you may not be intending this - take your finger off the trigger when you cycle.

dispatcher

Taurus

The Taurus Model 62 is a slick little pump action. I have the 18.5" barrel and it's a superb plinker. The price is okay- around $200 and it has good fit and finish. I almost went for the stainless, but the blued carbine was so pretty I had to go that route. When I have it out, every one that sees its wants to pop a few through it.
I have a couple of .22 semi autos that are good guns and are a joy to shoot, but the pump is just old time fun.