Opinions Of Pentax Scopes???

Davis

Pentax scopes are generally made by Burris. They used to be carbon copies of Burris-line scopes with the Pentax name on them. Now, they are slightly different. So, everything you have heard about Burris you can apply to Pentax.

Davis

TheFacts

Pentax scopes are generally made by Burris. They used to be carbon copies of Burris-line scopes with the Pentax name on them. Now, they are slightly different. So, everything you have heard about Burris you can apply to Pentax.

That`s interesting because I thought that all Pentax products were made by Ashasi (spell check) Optical which is a Japanese based firm. From what I have heard about Pentax optics, they rival anything turned out by Nikon and that`s gotta be saying something.

Curiosity yields evolution...satiety yields extinction.

gfen

I'm a Pentax camera owner (135 and 645), and I'll tell you that they do have the finest Japanese optics out there (still, the Germans tend to be better). More than that, they also have the best coating in the industry. I believe in both regards, they're better than Nikon.

As for their rifle scopes.. I don't know who makes them. I've heard rumours of Pentax rebadging them before, which seems somewhat strange, but I guess anything is possible. I wouldn't be surprised to find some other factory grinding lenses to Pentax specifications, and someone else assembling the product. I suppose one way to determine who makes them is if they're badged with the Pentax trademarked coating, SMC.

I've never used a Pentax scope, but have been using Pentax cameras and lenses for years. My current digital slr is a Pentax, which I bought, primarily, because I'd accumulated a lot of Pentax lenses over the years.

If you really think that Pentax has "the finest optics" in the world, check around to see what the pros use. You won't find any Pentaxes.

gfen

I did say outside the Germans. ;)

The reason that professionals no longer use Pentax 35mm gear is because Canon and Nikon have built up a huge professional support group, whereas Pentax does not have such a thing. Furthermore, Canon and Nikon have a much more complete lens system than Pentax does. Since the LX has fallen by the wayside, Pentax has been pursuing hobbyist shooters in 35mm, leaving the professionals to use their 645 and 67 camera lines.

So, that said.. which professionals are you talking about? ;)

Zeiss and Lietz may make better lenses, and Zeiss' T* is as good as SMC, but those are both German manufactures, not Asian.

gfen, off topic.

The Gamemaster

Buy what ever your budget allows.

Don't worry about what other people say so much.

The rifle scope industry has changed in leaps and bounds in the last 10 years that any manufacturer that charges more than $300 for one of their scopes makes a quality product that you can trust.

My best advice would be to tell you to buy one and take it out and try it.

If it works, keep it and if it doesn't take it back and get a refund.

Comparing rifle scopes to camera lenses is like comparing apples to oranges.

A camera lense just has to take a picture.

A rifle scope has to be able to show you the target. Put the cross hairs in the same place everytime you point the rifle. Move the cross hairs a exact amount everytime you turn the screw x amount of clicks.

If it doesn't have a click - stay away from it because I have no faith in any scope that doesn't have a positive stop click adjustment.

HiltonFarmer

Buy what ever your budget allows.

Don't worry about what other people say so much.

The rifle scope industry has changed in leaps and bounds in the last 10 years that any manufacturer that charges more than $300 for one of their scopes makes a quality product that you can trust.

I second that. I'm looking for optics for my .308 Savage. I've printed off several spec sheets just like others have done in the past and still can't make up my mind. :confused:

I guess knowing what you'll be using the optics for specifically would help your decision as well. Go with your needs and then your wallet.

HiltonFarmer

Davis

This was posted on Optics Talk by koshkin. It is a given over there, that beginning 3 years ago, the Pentax scopes were made by Burris. There is no better source on the web for scopes. Koshkin writes:

"There have been a few discussion here and there regarding the difference between Pentax and Burris scopes. I've been scouring the net for information on that and on the new Gameseeker scope line. Not sure if anyone except me still cares about this, but here we go. Presumably, this comes from a PentaxUSA division manager:

Pentax and Burris scopes (except for Gameseeker) are the same.

Burris makes mechanicals here in the US, and Pentax makes the glass in Japan.

Various Pentax Lightseeker scopes are the same as Burris Signature Select and various Diamonds and are made here in US.

Pentax Pioneer and Whitetails Unlimited are the same as Burris Fullfield II. Burris Fullfield II and Pentax Pioneer are, for the most part, assembled in Phillipines out of the same components as the scopes assembled in US. Some Burris Fullfield II scopes and all Pentax Whitetails Unlimited scopes are assembled in the US out of the same components as the Phillipine assembled scopes. Hence the price difference between otherwise identical Pentax Pioneer and Pentax Whitetails Unlimited.

When moving production to the Philipines, Burris took their Colorado factory and moved the machinery to the Philipines and trained local workers, so this is not the case of subcontracting. This is a Burris-owned factory.

As for the Gameseeker scopes, from what I've been able to find out, they are made in China. I am not sure who makes these for Pentax though (or if it is a Pentax facility in China). Presumably they are desinged to be just as good as Nikon Buckmaster at lower price point. Once they hit the market I'll buy a couple and play with them. Maybe I'll even challenge cheaptrick to a Buckmaster agains Gameseeker comparison test."

Davis

As an aside, I bought two Nikon Monarch 3-9-40's through Riflescopes.com for $218 each. You don't have to go above $300 to get a really good scope.

Davis

As an aside, you could probably count the number of pro photographers still using film on your fingers and toes. I really like my digital Pentax, but they don't make professional-level digital cameras. I guess that makes it "sort of" a trick answer, huh? :)

Real photographers aren't "groupies." They can afford whatever they think will do the best job for them. They use Nikon and Canon.

BUSTER51

I have never heard of anyone who bought a Nikon Monarch that wasn't happy. at the price they are a no brainer ,I a'm sure you will like it .:D

robc

Yeah, get that new Zeiss Victory. It's only about 4 grand... :eek: I'd have to sell one of my kids.

stillGHILLIE

Pentax are excellent scopes. I think the Gameseeker and Lightseeker lines are the best buys in their class. I have one Gameseeker and two Lightseekers, and are 100% happy with them

stillGHILLIE
(formerly GHILLIE)

rahtreelimbs

I've spent a fair amount on my firearm/hunting interests in the last 12 mos. If I could a Zeiss Conquest would be the choice but the funds just aren't there. That is why I am looking into the Gameseeker line!

Brad Clodfelter

I don't keep up with the Pentax scopes, but I can tell you that all the Pentax scopes I looked through were exceptionally bright. Any Pentax scope costing say $300 bucks or more is going to be worth it.

I will also tell you that the guys saying to buy a Nikon Monarch are right on the money. I have a Nikon Monarch 3-9x40mm. It's probably the brightest scope I own.

The Weaver Grand Slam series is another winner.

The Bushnell Elite 4200 and 3200 series are super scopes too. The 4200 being their top of the line.

Then there is always Leupold. They are probably without doubt the most popular scopes on the market. They hold their value as well.

Any of these scopes would please me. And I ain't easy to please.

If I were buying a hunting scope, the Nikon Monarch or the Bushnell Elite 4200 would be my choice.

If you ever want a great target scope, the Weaver T36 is hard to beat.

Brad