opinions of 000buck in 12ga?

CCCLVII

I have the opportunity to buy a large amount of 000buckshot for about 1/2 the price I see online.

The ammo is Federal premium 000 buck 12ga 3 inch.

I have never used 000 12ga. Any opinions? Is it worth buying?

44 AMP

Staff
Personally, I've never tried 000 buck, 00 has always done what ever I wanted buck shot to do. Also, I don't have any 3" 12ga so no interest in it.

That being said, a quantity of Federal factory ammo at about 1/2 the usual price is worth buying, in these ammo starved times. IF it doesn't float your boat, someone else will jump at it, and you could, potentially make a profit....

000 buck (or for that matter 00 buck) is not for the recoil shy.

bamaranger

kicker of a deal

Agreed that any ammo at 1/2 price at this point in time is a worthwhile investment....heck, half price ammo anytime is a good deal!

There is little doubt that ten 000 buck pellets on target will be very effective.

Be sure and consider that the three inch 12 ga cartridge is a real kicker and recoil will likely be significant enough to effect the delivery of follow up shots a bit depending on the size and skill of the shooter and the gun in question.
The 3 inch shell is rarely mentioned in the defensive role for that reason.

As a game load for coyote, deer and hogs, I could see it being useful. The 3 inch shell is routinely used for waterfowl and turkeys (with smaller shot size of course) so it is not unmanageable for experienced shooters selected applications.

105kw

In the 80s, when I hunted deer, and feral pigs in South Carolina, 000buck in 2 3/4 shells was very popular.
I can't say it was more effective, but the group of hunters I was with swore by it. The only brand I ever saw was Remington. Both 00, and 000 took deer and pigs down quickly. And a 2 3/4 hold 8 pieces of 000, compared to 9 pieces of 00.
And yes, it kicks hard, but in our county, Buckshot was the only legal choice for hunting.

kenny53

Half price may be just too good to pass up. I would buy it because you never know when you may need it.

GE-Minigun

I attend a machine gun shoot a couple times a year, which is about the only place I can shoot my SBS’s. With that said, couple years back (before all the crazy prices) I purchased close to a dozen or so cases of #4 shells from a guy that wanted it gone…$35-40 a case…I have/had no use for it whatsoever, but figured I could blast it at the shoot. So, to me if the deal is “that” good and I had a place to use it, I’d get it, just for the blasting ammo if nothing else.

deadcoyote

I personally like 000, especially 3”. It’s hard to come by so I haven’t bought it in a long time. I live very rural and have a lot of issues with mountain lions and bears on my property. For that reason my typical go to firearm if there’s a problem at night is a shotgun loaded with 00 or 000. It’ll work well for decent sized animals and two legged issues alike.

I do agree with the above though, I wouldn’t necessarily want to just fun shoot 3” 000 all day. Then again I’m the guy who just bought cases and cases of BB and BBB steel waterfowl ammo from an estate sale because it was so cheap. I do hunt geese but this will be a lifetime supply.

gwpercle

000 in a 3" 12 ga. will be a hard hitter ... for a good price it might be worth investing .
I wouldn't shoot enough to warrant buying a lot ... a couple boxes .
Have a good recoil pad ... " for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction ! "
Just saying they kick !
Gary

RMcL

12 Ga. three inch Federal Premium 000B

Some observations:

Average weight of pellets 62.8 grains, (10 pellet ave. Federal Premium 000B pellets).

Pellet diameter: .35 inch measured

The short factory shot cup holds 8 pellets. The remaining two pellets in the load are not protected by the shot cup. (Unless Fed. Prem. has made running changes that I'm not aware of)

I have found, with tight chokes, this load tends to fire tight 8 pellet core patterns - with the remaining two pellets in the load, flaring out of the usable pattern rather quickly beyond 25 yards.

Your "mileage" may vary...

Last edited: