Opinions from steel kahr owners

'75Scout

I have owned a Kahr PM40 and wasn't pleased with it. I prefer all metal to polymer framed guns and I believe the polymer used by Kahr is subpar. Plus it wasn't 100%. I had about a 25% FTF rate and that was really offputting. I sent it to the factory for what was supposed to be a quick fix, well it took 2 1/2 months and it was almost 100% when I finally got it back. So I sold it.

However I loved the size, trigger, looks and the way the gun fit my hand. All those attributes and the fact that the steel Kahrs get much better reviews makes me really want another one. But in 9mm and all steel. I would like to get an MK9 Elite and maybe later a K9 Elite. I would carry the Kahr mostly iwb but will also pocket carry if it isn't too heavy. I'm looking for a very compact gun a can carry when I don't/can't carry my Sig 220.

So to anyone who owns/carries a steel framed Kahr in any caliber/size what do you feel about yours? Also I already did a search and have ready many posts, but I want to know what any new members or people who haven't responded to the other posts have to say.

I say get it. The Kahr MK9 is awesome. I own the Kahr MK40 Elite and I am considering getting the K9 as a home defense gun. I like everything about my MK40 Elite. :)

Seems like there has been a ton of interest in these Kahr pistols lately. I find myself responding to posts about them alot. Here is a range report I did on mine the first day I had it.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224798

attachment.php

Dfariswheel

What trouble you hear about Kahr's usually involves the polymer models.

I just can't say enough good things about my stainless steel K9.
It's NEVER, EVER jammed, or even acted like it was going to jam, and I broke it in with some horrible old 1960's Egyptian 9mm SMG ammo that didn't work in anything else.

It's reliable, accurate, and is the first auto defense gun that I've really felt was reliable enough to trust my life to.

'75Scout

Peguin, thanks for the link to the range report. And the pic of your elite makes me want one even more. The elites just look so smooth and really look well built while the PMs and Ps feel like toy guns.

And the reports to the K and MK series has been so much more positive that I'm not as nervous about reliability as I was when I purchased the PM40.

Charles S

I love my K9. I have shot two concealed carry classes a night hangun class and a tactical handgun class with mine. Very reliable, very accurate. Great gun.

attachment.php

9mmsnoopy

I have a pm 9 and so far am loving it, hopefully the love will continue. Have been to countless gun shows and dont think ive ever seen a steel kahr, all they ever have are the polymer models, only steel ones i ever saw in person was at the NRA show, not for sale.

If i could find one, i might have bought it instead of the pm 9.

Mosin44az

The "stainless" finish on my K9 Elite went bad very quickly; ugly discoloration on the front strap and under the tang. Very displeased with THAT development.

Some Kahr models have a Black Diamond T finish, which might be better. Don't know if the MK series offers this. I would think about it.

Mosin,

You were not able to clean the discoloration from your kahr? Isn't it a solid stainless body like my MK40? It should clean off with the proper cleaner. Which cleaning methods and products did you try?

Mosin44az

The ones I usually use; Hoppes products mostly. It was as if my hands were imbued with some strange ability to induce a chemical discoloration in the Kahr. This has never happened with any other gun. Cleaning made NO difference, it just wasn't a "stainless" finish as advertised. I have since sold it to a buddy, who didn't care about the stains (I sold it to him at a loss, natch). If you've got a cleaner to suggest I will pass it on to him.

dajowi

I was originally going to get a Sig 239. I was disappointed when I picked one up. Heavy and didn't like the ergonomics. Saw a Kahr K-9 at a gunshow and picked it up - WOW. The DAO trigger was new in as far as semiautos were concerned since I like SA type weapons. However since I was considering it for a new CCW piece everything else about the gun was perfect. Got mine with the black diamond coating and night sights. Although still getting used to the trigger, 700 rounds later and nary a FTF or FTE or any problem whatsoever. The accuracy is great. Damn few posts have any complaints about the K-9.

Charles S

Charles is that the new Comp-Tac Infidel IWB? If so how do you like it?

'75Scout,

No, actually it is the Blade Tech IWB holster.

http://www.blade-tech.com/In-the-Waistband-IWB-IDPA-APPROVED-pr-820.html

After several thousand presentations and several classes I must say I am very happy with it. It is very secure, conceals well, and is very fast.

I do have the Comp Tac C-T.A.C. that I am also very happy with.

http://www.comp-tac.com/ct_ctac.html

I think the C-T.A.C. is a little more comfortable, conceals better, and is thinner, but I am faster with the Blade Tech.

I don't think you would go wrong with Comp-Tac's products, but I also recommend Blade Tech as well.

Good luck.

Mark G.

K9 & P9 Covert here. Both have functioned flawless. With a good holster & belt the K9 is very manageable to CCW. My K9 was a NYCPD model with the 1/2 inch trigger pull. I had a gunsmith put a 3/8 inch trigger (elite trigger) and it is much better. The P9 Covert is a much better carry pistol & you can use the same holster for either. The polymer problems have been with the PM series. Very happy with both pistols.

'75Scout

Yeah Charles the C.T.A.C. is a great holster. I had one for a Glock 26 I had a while back and man was that a quick holster. I plan on getting some more Comp-Tac products, but I'm going to use BladeTech pouches for my on-duty gear.

longspurr

K40 here. If it has ever had a malfunction I don't remember it. Using reduced loads I won a "belly gun" match at our local bullseye club with it. :D After the match they decided the 3" barrel gave me too much advantage over the 2.5" revolvers and said not to bring it back. LOL

Trebla

'75SCOUT: I had a new K40 with over 2000+ rounds thru it and it never malfunctioned!! I put the first 550 rounds thru it (which was the break-in period) without cleaning or lubrication. I cleaned it and lubed it took it back to the range the next day and put another 550 rounds thru it with no problems. Once I new it would feed any ammo without problems I began to use as my EDC. The only reason I don't have it anymore is because I traded it for a nice S&W 13.