Opinions and information, please...

Powderman

Well, I'm back from Camp Perry. I went to shoot in the Nationals--and I am VERY upset, to say the least.

My scores exactly reflected my levels of preparedness--with all the OT I had to pull from August to April, it was kinda low, as you might expect.

Thus, I got mad--and now, I'm seriously out to kick some butt. I fully intend to win my class--at the very least--the next time I go. I also will make the President's Hundred--and hopefully will be DX , or DM before I go.

So, here's the question...

Anyone with experience with the Hammerli 280 pistol? Thoughts? Impressions? I handled one for the first time, and was very impressed with its feel--it seemed to weld itself into an optimum position, and the sight picture was rock steady and clean. The trigger pull was silky-smooth. I'm on the brink of getting one at a REALLY good price.

Jim Watson

Not being a bullseye target shooter, the only thing I know about the P280 is that it is not made any more, replaced by the SP20 about 1998. I have READ that it was not profitable even at Hammerli prices because of the cost of custom carbon fibre composite construction.

Are parts available? Will it shoot a lifetime and not need any? I don't know, but you should.

Glennster

We've got a local guy here in Elkhart Indiana that shoots 290's with his 280, but this guy's a machine. I think he'd shoot 290's with anything!!!
He loves the gun and claims he shoots better with it, if I remember correctly, his scores actually did improve when he got his 280.
Good luck with whatever you do!!!!!

10s&Xs

"My scores exactly reflected my levels of preparedness-"

I'm not sure how you prepare for 30mph gusts of wind, other than having someone randomly push your arm off-target right before the targets turn :)

Never shot a Hammerli, but you sure see plenty of them on the line. Don't think you can go wrong with one, especially if it fit your hand as well as you describe.

4EVERM-14

The p280 that I fired years ago was nice, shot well but didn't fit my hand.
The hot tickets now are FWB AW93 [resembles the 208 Hammerli]
Morini CM22M
Pardini SP
They're all pricey but they can shoot.

Last edited: