Opinion on the US M-1917

Huntzalittle

I would like to get a gunsmiths opinion on using the US Rifle, 30 caliber, M-1917 (or as I knew it, the Enfield P-17 in 30-06) as the foudation for a belted magnum cartridge? I have read they are one of the strongest military actions, but are they strong enough to hold the magnums? What are the issues associated with such a conversion?
Thanks

Geoff Timm

Generally speaking this sort of conversion went out of style in the 1950s.

New magnum rifles and cartridges are available cheaper than the gunsmithing required to convert a 1917. Remember too, you are dealing with a rifle that is 90 years old or so.

Besides, if you take it to the range on Zero day, a collector will take one look, SCREAM BUBBAIZED! YOU BUBBAIZED THAT BEAUTIFUL RIFLE! and beat you to death with a cleaning rod. :D

Geoff
Who notes there are some reasonably priced magnums on the rifle market.

Harry Bonar

Yes, you can do that to your Enfield - BUT, if it's still military I wouldn't do it. It's worth fat more and harder to sucessfully to sporterize than most all military rifles.
You must fix the bolt - the bolt stop, grind the action, straighten the floorplate - just a whole litany of changes.
I'd get a Turkish 38 rifle and sporterize that or a VZ 24 Mauser - they are far more suitable.
Properly done by a professional the Model 17 is beautiful - A-Square used that action for their big game rifles and still does!
Harry B.

Eghad

If its a keeper I wouldnt think about converting it. I would probably find a Mauser action at Numrich Arms. Or you have a bunch of surplus mausers floating around.

44 AMP

Staff
Enfield conversion

As noted, this kind of thing went out of style quite a while ago, and by the 1970s was pretty much a thing of the past. Because you can get commercial rifles for what it will cost you to have the conversion done, if you can find anyone who is willing to do it today.

Got to have a 1917 in a magnum caliber? Go to the gun shows, lots of these kinds of sporters are turning up in the shows, because their owners are getting too old for hunting anymore, and young guys mostly want new rifles. I have seen two in magnum calibers in the past year, and they go pretty cheap (<400$). Even the most beautifuly done sporter conversions from yesteryear don't bring much money today.

50 years ago, a good sporter Enfield, mauser, Springfield, etc was worth 2 or three (or more) of the rifle in military trim. Today the situation is almost exactly reversed. Even if bubbaized, your 1917 would be worth more restored to issue condition than if you spent thousands having it professionally converted to a magnum. I'm not kidding, the way thing are today, and likely for the future, you could spend a couple of thousand to get a rifle worth less than $500 on the open market.

Huntzalittle

Safety is the concern

My question was one of concern as to the safety of that conversion, rather than should I "DO" the conversion. Even though a very strong action with some "fudge" factor added for adverse conditions, the action was still designed for a 30-06. Just wondering what time and experiences of the gunsmith has been over time on making that into a magnum cartridge?

I inherited a M-1917 chambered for a .30-.338 win mag probably 20 some years ago and I am sure it was probably made around the 1950's. Probably a wildcat version before the 300 win mag came out. The machinist that made up the gun was pretty good gunsmith and did benchrest shooting. I get it out of the closet every now and then, but way too heavy for anything I need.

grizz007

these 1917 are among the strongest of receivers if that is your question. Wonderful big bores can and are still being made to this day. I have two 1917's if you will a sporterized Rem 1917 .06 and a Rem Model 30 which is in the .338-06 chambering. May be for some a heavy carry but for me it feels mighty nice in my hands. Build a 458 Lott if you a mind to on that action.

good shooting

el Divino

mine was rebarreled to 300 win mag almost 15 years ago, If I own another one and was going to rebarreled I will pick 416 Taylor

James K

Member In Memoriam
We reworked a lot of them for the .308 Norma Magnum*, which came out in the 1950's and, I was told by the Norma rep, was specifically intended for rechambering the M1917 to a magnum caliber. Other conversions have been the 7mm Rem Mag, the .338 Winchester and others. The action is strong enough and should be safe with any reasonable pressures.

(Note that the M1917 did not have any "low number" problems like the M1903 did; the receivers were nickel steel from the beginning.)

*That "30-338" may actually be the .308 Norma Mag; lots of folks forget about it and think the rifle is for a .30-338 wildcat.

Jim

Dan Brown

Rechambering M 1917 30-06=> .300 Winchester, or .300 weatherby?

It appears that the M 1917 in 30-06 can be safely rechambered to .300 Winchester magnum. Might it also be rechambered to a .300 weatherby magnum?

Doyle

One thing to note about the 1917's if you need to change the barrel. One of the manufacturers (I think it was Eddystone) screwed the barrels in super tight. Removing the barrel on one of those without bending the receiver is sometimes difficult if not impossible.

kraigwy

First rifle I ever built was a 416 Rigby on the Remington M-1917 Enfield, in the late 1970s. The only problem is I made it a bit on the light side.

If you ever fired the 416 R, you'd understand light is not good.

Anyway I think its one of the best out there for converting into the long magnum shooters.

In the last couple years there's been a push for the 338 Lup. in a sniper version. Yes there are a few actions and rifle makers who produce the 338 Lup but they are expensive.

The 338 is a necked down 416 Rigby case and requires the long action. If you want to build such, and dont want to go in debt on the action, the the 1917 in my opinion is the best option.

But if you want to build a Rigby, unless you are a heck of a lot tougher then I am and don't mind a rifle that kills on both ends, take my advised and add a little weight.

koginam

The P-14 or P-17 work well for big bore magnums. Since you are building the gun you can substitute the P-14 bolt for the P-17. You may have a problem finding a magnum mag. box but their are some out their, I turn my actions to the Rem. 700 contour so I have a good supply of bases to use. Barrels can be a bitch to remove but heat works wonders on them. Of course if you have a lathe you can just cut a grove in the barrel next to the receiver.

HiBC

Someone stated that all versions of the P-17 are of good heat treat.I would not necessarily accept that without further research.Seems like I recall there was some variations in heat treat,and some overly hard,and brittle,ones.I don't have a Hatcher's notebook anymore,but that is where to look.Maybe Eddystones?
I remember being told all the P-14's were good.

IMO,They are a collectible specimen,and military trim is the most practical direction.Brownell's sells a fine CZ action in .416 Rigby size for cheaper than you can gunsmith a P-17.Also,The Montana Rifleman makes a M-70 win clone in the $600 range.It can be had in .375 H+H /.416 Rigby size

If you A) can get a p-17 mil trim action for $150,and B) Can get someone to sell you skilled shop time for $50 an hour,you can buy 9 hours work for that P-17.

They CAN be a slick,elegant action,but there is a long list of work to be done to them.

Also,to me,the one reason to choose the Enfield is the .375 H+H cartridge length.

I just sold my last P-14 action to a fellow who wants a .375.It was already sporterized.

There is only one good reason to build one on a P-17

That is,nothing else will do for you,and it does not have to make sense!

phishisgroovin

I know this is an old topic, i wanted to add to it anyhow.
heres my sporterized m1917 eddystone enfield.
I dropped it off today at Mike Palazzo's house in Covington to have it drilled and tapped for a scope.
Its already bubbad, was like this when i recieved it from my uncle as a christmas gift three or so years back.

Cant wait to take it for a hike in the woods Deer Hunting on the 14th of next month!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 100_0260 (Large).jpg
    100_0260 (Large).jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 1,066
  • 100_0265 (Large).jpg
    100_0265 (Large).jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 1,038
  • 100_0262 (Large).jpg
    100_0262 (Large).jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 1,066
Last edited:

phishisgroovin

got mine back.
WOW, got a phone call from Mike Palazzo this morning. ALREADY have my Scoped Sporter back in less than 24 hours!
I am all set to go hunting now! :D
100_6873.jpg

Harry Bonar

P17

Sir;
Yes, they make fine rifles - A-Square uses the action for their rifles although Col. Alphin has a new action on the drawing board!
Barrels are in very tight with square threads (the simplest to cut) and either in insertion or removal some cracks occur in some of the P17 actions. I think it has occured in both manners. The way about removing a P17 barrel is to lathe or hacksaw a little bit forward of the shoulder (action face) and I've found that the barrels come right out! The same in setting up the barrel - it doesn't need to be put in by an 800 lb. gorilla! Snug it up good and tight but no need to overdo it.
To check your action for microscopic cracks either magnaflux it or use gasoline and watch it dry - any cracks will show up but magnafluxing would be best.
They need little modification for most cartridges but A-Square is the best rifle made for dangerous game.
Harry B.

Ivan

I am not sure if this is prohibited here, but a friend of mine has a converted M1917 he would like to sell. It has about a 1.25 inch thick target barrel on it. Just a word of warning though, it will need to have the scope mount holes re-drilled or enlarged because I don't think they are all in line. Caliber is .300 Win Mag.

- Ivan.