Opinion on Remington 700 SPS Rifle

1tfl

My brother was going to buy a used 308 Winchester rifle for hunting.
He had about $400 to spend on the rifle.

Today I found a new Remington SPS in 308 Winchester for about $540.
I thought I would give him the difference between the two and have him get the Remington instead. Both my father and I have several Remington rifles and have been very happy with all of them. The 308 caliber would be ideal for his use and both my father and I load this caliber so ammo cost would be low compared to another caliber.

We have not purchased a new Remington rifle in about 15 years so we have no idea what they are like these days.

Any opinion on this rifle?
Your opinions and comments about this rifle would be appreciated.

smsil_700sps.jpg

LukeA

That price seems a little high. I picked up a lightly used 700SPS in .30-06 with a Leupold VX-1 on top for $500.

Mine only weighed 7lb. 11oz. with the scope on it. I found that a little light so I filled the buttstock with shot.

jman841

I have the SPS Varmint in .308 and it is very nice but the QC isnt the best these days. I had to send it back to get the feed ramps fixed. But a very nice rifle. The SPS is a 24 inch barrel and a light barrel for hunting, the varmint is a 26 inch heavy barrel. Both are in the same price range, i believe the varmint is a little more expensive.

all in all a great rifle. The coating is a bead blasted black coating that i actually like, however, it makes the bolt not as smooth as the stainless steel or blued versions.

Also, there is nothing wrong with a winchester rifle if it is in good condition.

For hunting you don't need pin point accurcy.

beerengineer

I haven't shot one...but I have one on layaway at my local gun store. Getting it the second week in July. Its a .22-250. Cant wait to try it out on our local ferel hog population. I'm told one well place round behind the ear and hodzilla is DRT!!

davlandrum

I have the stainless in 30-06, and am totally happy with it. Mine was a package deal with a Leupold VX-II and a hard case. I can't remember the price, other than I thought it was a good deal at the time...

Rifle is more accurate than I am, easily staying around 1 inch@100 yards with any commercial ammo I shoved through it (I don't use mil-surp, so can't vouch for that). Recoil pad is sweet.

Obviously, the .308 is the correct caliber given the situation. I have nothing in .308, so 30-06 was the right choice for me.

I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

Swampghost

I picked up a SPS in .243, LN w/cheapo 3X9 scope in a pawn shop for $275. I shifted the scope to a .22LR and topped the Rem. with Nikon. A winner all the way around.

Palmetto-Pride

I just recently got a 700 SPS .308 Varmint (26" Heavy Barrel) and mine has been great it shoots 1/2" MOA or better when I do my part. $540.00 doesn't seem to bad for NIB.

Dipper2

4th send back I have seen on this forum in 2 months

2 Senderos
another 700
and this one from above "I had to send it back to get the feed ramps fixed."

Until Remington wants to make them they way they used to (my friend has a Mod 700 BDL 6mm from 1980 that still drives tacks at 400), I will buy Savage.

Swampghost

As a manufacturing engineer I really like Savage's concepts. All of the recent articles have been ++. I'm going to have to buy one just to see for myself.

Maybe another .243? Happy Birthday to me!

ronl

I have the SPS varmint in .308 an it shoots pretty well. I loaded 5 bullets up on Sat. and only took those 5 with me to my friend's range just to put a little pressure on. Had a full R-L wind gusting 5-10. First 4 went into 7/16" group with the last one opening it up to 11/16". This was at 105 yds. It is a decent rifle but the stock is a piece of junk. Think I'm going to put a Bell and Carlson Medalist on mine, but my friend thinks I'm stupid because of how well it is shooting now. He might be right.

BUY A SAVAGE.
They have it all over Remington now a days

2 Senderos
another 700
and this one from above "I had to send it back to get the feed ramps fixed."

Until Remington wants to make them they way they used to (my friend has a Mod 700 BDL 6mm from 1980 that still drives tacks at 400), I will buy Savage.

That's why I now buy savages and other makes more committed to providing a consistent product that performs... My last two rifles have been savages and both are sub-moa easily... My remington 700 CDL .243 shot 6 inch groups at 100 yards out of the box... It's most likely going to need a barrel to make it shoot...

jman841

I got my M700 SPS V back today. The action is smoother, not sure what they did though. The feed ramps are STILL scratching the brass heavily. I guess i'll just live with it. Not a very happy customer.

Palmetto-Pride

This is a pic of a 100yd 3 shot group I shot today with my 2009 700SPS Varmint .308 I can get 1/2 MOA all day long, but this one is around .20" my personal best ever. I hear a lot about Remington QC not being good these days, I guess on mine they got it right.

scan0005.jpg

riggins_83

I have a Remington 700 SPS Stainless 30-06, love it. Quite accurate, too with 180 grain Winchester CXP3.

Three words of wisdom...
BUY A SAVAGE.

I'd have to agree Savage are more accurate overall.. but the Remingtons kick less and are easier to handle based on the stock design. When I'm hunting I don't need a target rifle. We'll see how this changes with the new accustocks!