• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Opinion on possible Petition

AR-10

It has been asked in the Revolver Forum whether it would be possible or prudent to create some sort of on line petition here in such a way that members could "sign" it and then send this petition to Smith and Wesson.

The gist of the petition would be a call to action on the part of Smith to begin proceedings to dismantle the agreement.

Is this possible? Would it create a hardship for Rich? Just asking because I have no idea what would be involved with creating such an electronic document.

Would we be just as effective flooding them with thousands of copies of a generic snail mail form?

I have e-mailed Smith in the past with no response back. I believe lots of others have done the same. Is there a more productive way to "get in their face" in a positive fashion?

C.R.Sam

If carefully written and edited.......I like the idea.

Possible also that a few of our knowledgable writers can hammer one out and put it on a host site other than TFL. Then threads could link to it. Both here and on other sites.

We have a vast pool of writers, ex writers, editors, ex editors etc as members. Some of them can even spell, sume times.

I think it needs to be written at least as carefully and all encompasing as the infamous and onerous "Agreement".

Sam

AR-10

I have been regretting this thread from the time it was four hours old.

I don't think hosting it on this site is a good idea for various reasons, none of them political.

The basic idea has some merit, although I do not know whether or not it would have a positive effect. I really have no idea of the mechanics involved in creating such a document. That was the reason I asked. To get some idea of whether or not it was feasable.

Sam's idea of putting it on a page somewhere else and getting other gun boards to link to it would possibly generate enough signatures to get some attention. I realize that there are in excess of 10,000 members here, but the active membership is less than that. The number of willing participants is a percentage of that lesser number.

I did not intend to put Rich on the spot. Just kicking around an idea.

C.R.Sam

We shall leave no good idea unkicked. Bad ones get thrashed. We gotta get someone with the talant and fire to jump on it.

Mike I ???

Sam

Last edited:

AR-10

Very kind of you. I will contact a few members and we will find a way to get the ball rolling.

Anyone with suggestions may post them here, or PM or e-mail me. I won't get much done during A.M. hrs., as I cannot drag my monitor to work with me.

I'd be more than happy to write the body of the Petition.

I'm going to pull some things together this evening to get started on it.

AR-10 -- Great idea. I'm glad we were able to convert you.

Caeca -- Thanks for the offer. Greatly appreciated.

If no one has any objections, when this thing gets up and rolling, I'm going to call in some favors from former coworkers at NRA to try to get this in Random Shots.

I'm also going to try to float the concept of a "status" article for Rifleman.

I really had little interest in getting back into any form of "gun writing" other than what I do here and a couple of other Websites, but some things are more important than what I want to do.

This is one of those things.

contender4040

positive input

At last some very positive input to try to control our future gun rights!
I am in support of the petition and any way it can be implemented.
Would suggest that if we get something going on TFL, we get the message posted in all of the forums such as general, revolver, pistol, shotgun, etc....after the message is posted in each of these forums advising them what we are trying to do and requesting them to come to this section(or the political section), we have the moderator lock down the request in the other sections to keep the response coming to this one section on the petition issue.
I suspect that from the amount of traffic on this section that we are on, very few people ever bother to visit it and would be unaware of a petition here unless we have it posted in the other sections making them aware of this important issue.

C.R.Sam

Mike......as usual, you have risen to the occasion. Thank you sir. I apologize for the "tweek", subject too serious for that.

Caeca Invidia Es.....cool, thank you too.

To allothers who have and who will help......cool.

Potential there for a monster that they can't ignore.

Sam

Will Beararms

This is just an idea but what if a form letter was mutually agreed upon on a word file that could be downloaded by all and then we could input our names and addresses and snail mail it to Smith? A pile of paper can't be deleted.

If the word file would have to be read only, then why not just have Blank lines in the return address section and we could write or type the info in?

I love e-mail but the visual image of piles of mail coming into Smith with the same purpose in mind makes me believe we could not be ignored.

Good points Mike. We may disagree on Smith but if I were in a battle, I'd want you in my foxhole.

LilJoe

I agree with Will. E-mail ca be scanned before being sent to the proper PC inside of S&?.. They could figure on key words of the letter and then just delete them as they come in. Most Corps do it on their mail server looking for those famous four letter words. For once the snail mail would be the best. Maybe they better think about hiring in the mailroom soon? LOL

Borf

On the downside, printing and mailing is more work. Which, sadly enough, means you will probably get far fewer people replying.

Adding a form letter that can be mailed is a good idea.

It's also damned easy. Simple .pdf, which can easily be printed on just about any printer with no problems.

And, Adobe Acrobat .pdf reader is freeware, and included on virtually every computer that's sold today.

labgrade

Member In Memoriam
Float the topic so all see it at the top of their fave forum & too, I'm certain other boards'll pick up on this toot sweet. Could get more widespread dissemination than that "big bear" story.

The petition, in any electronic form, can be copy/pasted/saved to/whatever to go hard copy/fax.

As with whatever correspondence when communicating with my elected things, e-mail, fax & hard copy - only way to be sure ... ;)
We'll need some addresses & #s

Super idea.

Borf

Agree completely, but playing devil's advocate (need devil-horn smiley).

Having both is good idea.

Also perhaps having a central figure print off petitions when x number have been received and mail those in blocks. As has been said, paper (slightly) harder to ignore than email.

TheBluesMan

Moderator Emeritus
That's a great idea Borf! I don't see any reason why many of us couldn't print out completed online pages and send them in. It puts more paper in their office. Do you really think they'll check to see if there are any duplicated pages?

Herb Leventhal

The Petition to S&W

I made the suggestion in the revolver forum after "going at it with AR-10". A petition would at least be a constructive way to vent our frustrations no matter which position a member takes. In reviewing the suggestions by AR-10,Will Beararms,Mike Irwin, C R Sam and others all excellent. Why not create a form letter in good taste detailing our dislike for the agreement but our concern for the survival of the company. We can than email the letter and also snail mail it . The former will certainly reach them sooner, the latter may have more "clout"
Herb