Opinion Need on Shooting New Pistol

OkieGentleman

I got my Christmas present early and put it up per agreement with the giver (wife). Christmas has come and gone and I need an opinion from the more knowledgeable in the crowd. This is a Colt Series 80 Gold Cup National Match in Polished SS. It is not NIB but about 95 to 98%. It has been shot about 20/25 times by the original owner, put up for several years and then sold to me (second owner). The question is this -- Is this a collectors item and should I keep this cleaned and put away (surely the value will go up) or can I shoot it on a regular basis and not destroy the value? I have several other .45 autos that I shoot so it would not be like putting my whole arsenal in storage. Opinions would be appreciated.

MusclesMcGee

Depends what you want out of the gun. Do you plan on selling it ? Are you concerned about return value ? Family heirloom ?

I would go ahead and shoot it on a random basis, but by no means make it a my primary weapon.

Ned Roundtree

That is a nice gun. I have a 70 Series, Gold Cup National Match in electro-nickel. With box. I take it out once a year and shoot. But then cleaned up and put away. Hope to pass it on in the family one day. My workhorses are my Kimber Gold Match and Springfield Armory Trophy Match. They get the heck shot out of them. Holster wear from IDPA matches, etc.

------------------
Courage is only fear that has said its prayers.

[This message has been edited by Ned Roundtree (edited January 02, 2000).]

10mmrules

would you buy a car so you could look at it? shoot the gun. enjoy it. that is what it was made for. If you are afraid you will wear it out buy a second barrel. it is a crime in most states to let a good gun like that go to waste.

------------------
10MM Magnum.... tried the rest, now I got the best

BigG

I think it's a shooter. The S/S Gold Cup is a nice pistol but it will take a lot of rounds to wear it out. Mine has several thousand thru it and is still in 98%. There is not a mark on it. Of course, I don't use it for holster, just bullseye. It will be a long time before it is a collectors item, IMHO. Enjoy your COLT! :)

------------------
Be mentally deliberate but muscularly fast. Aim for just above the belt buckle Wyatt Earp
"It is error alone that needs government support; truth can stand by itself." Tom Jefferson
If you have to shoot a man, shoot him in the guts, it may not kill him... sometimes they die slow, but it'll paralyze his brain and arm and the fight is all but over Wild Bill Hickok
Remember: When you attempt to rationalize two inconsistent positions, you risk drowning as your own sewage backs up.
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel! BigG

[This message has been edited by BigG (edited January 04, 2000).]