Operation Falcon

copenhagen

Robinson was one of 1,250 fugitives busted in Georgia last week as part of Operation Falcon, a nationwide sweep to arrest some of the most violent offenders. Of the arrests in Georgia, 724 came in metro Atlanta; two were suspected killers, authorities said.

Multiple sweeps like these have already taken place in other cities in recent weeks as part of Falcon. More are coming to undisclosed regions of the country. Authorities would not release further details about the nationwide hunt due to the ongoing nature of the operation.

"Our primary focus when we do this operation are violent offenders, sex offenders and gang members," says Keith Booker, the commander of the U.S. Marshals Southeast Regional Fugitive Task Force leading this sweep that included 115 federal, state and local agencies.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/06/16/fugitive.bust/index.html

While I despise criminals of this variety, it is quite comforting to know that LEOs are getting practiced up for mass round ups eh? This disturbs me- reminds me of history class and learning about how Hitler rounded up 1000's en masse. I hope we don't let our power become perverted.

What hope do we have to stick it out if they take all of us gun owners who won't give up our rights in just one night? Am I just being paranoid?

copenhagen

It worries me. I don't understand why these criminals cannot be picked up as they are found. I do not understand the need to pick them up in a 'blitz.'

JP Sarte

As a former LEO I can tell you that "round up's" serve a very specific and important purpose. These fugitives and others with warrants often know each other and communicate with exceptional efficiency. Many of these folks even have police radios to monitor possible attempts at their arrest.

This approach works very well against criminal organizations where the ten or fifteen people in question are all members of the same oraganization. Word spreads fast.

I would be more concerned if LEO's were going on "round up's" to arrest those without warrants.

JP

copenhagen

I appreciate the input JP Sarte. I just heard about it and got a little worried is all- I didn't know we typically did this, but the way you explain it makes it make more sense.

hammer4nc

Operation falcon has been around for several years. I view it mainly as a publicity stunt. Major Overtime Fiesta for local officers, supported by federal grants. While capture of "dangerous hombres" is highlighted in the press releases, the large bulk of captures include victimless paper crimes like parole violations, felon in possession, old warrants, failure to appear etc. Stuff that the locals haven't deemed important enough to allocate resources to.

Example: http://www.swtimes.com/articles/2008/06/14/news/news08.txt

Occasionally someone does a followup news article talking about the impact of flooding the already strained judicial system with a pile of new intakes in one day. These "dangerous hombres" get released the next day because there's not enough capacity to handle the surge. Oops!

There might be some paranoia on your part but that is understandable.

Hiltler did indeed use "round ups" of criminals as a starting point. He got people to the point where they were so used to these round ups that when they happened people just said "oh well, these people must have been criminals." Then he could freely round up detractors and opponents without public reprisal.

Tom2

Rounding up felons in possession? of what? guns? Good. Bag them before they become a murder suspect. Does seem like some sort of publicity thing too. The worst case guys should be bagged asap I agree. Maybe if it were concentrated on one neigborhood with a bad reputation, it would clean it up and clear out the problems, instead of random pickups here and there. Cleaning up one neighborhood at a time might have more bennies.