Opening day of dove season

Hunter Customs

Well today is the opening day of dove season in my part of the country and it's very quite.

I hear a few shots every now and then, it's very much like the dove seasons prior to the days of the MDC planting the killing fields for the city boys.

Because of all the rain we've had, the killing fields did not get planted or they did not do well in all the wet weather, those wishing to hunt doves actually have to do some hunting which I have nothing against, the way it should be.

It's sure been a blessing for those of us that live by an MDC area.

Instead of opening day looking like Black Friday at Walmart with endless clouds of dust from the constant road traffic, now you see an occasional truck with a couple hunters.

Like Phil, I'm Happy, Happy, Happy.

Cramezl

Won't be able to make it out until this the weekend. My dad sent me this from his back porch this morning. Jerk ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441122350.423248.jpg

playin' hookey

Wonderful opening day here in south central Virginia, thanks to a gracious host and mild weather. Doves were all over the wheat fields he had burned two weeks in advance, and an excellent post-hunt barbecue including smoked pork and venison as well as some of the doves, some excellent home-made wine, and everybody accusing those of us who wisely chose to set up in a little patch of trees which turned out to be a dove magnet, of shooting roosted doves (untrue of course). And we're going to do it again Monday.

kcub

This year I used junk boxmart 12 gauge #8, 3 different kind to see what works in my Benelli SuperSport. All were flawless. I had my limit of 15 by 9:00am. Most were high flying white wings, 40 + yards.

dakota.potts

Hunting is Saturdays only here, from noon to 6 PM for the first section of the season. I went out for the first time this Saturday. Saw maybe a dozen birds in 3 hours, got one shot off, missed, and eventually left. I went in with 50 shells and left with 49. Disappointing.