Opening a standard barrel channel to a heavy channel?

XD45Sooner

I have a howa 1500 with a bull barrel with a synthetic stock on it. I want to put a wood or laminate stock on my rifle but I cannot find one that is made for a bull barrel. If I buy one for the standard barrel channel how would I open it up to fit the bull barrel? It seems like it would just take some sanding but I am not exactly sure how to do it. Has anyone here ever done this kind of a project? If so how should I do it?

Scorch

If you know anyone who has a mill and about 5/8" or 3/4" ball tip end mill, talk to them real nice and see what you can work out. Finish it up with the barrel channel rasp.

Clark

attachment.php

I put a Boeing surplus broach in a Boeing surplus vise on a Boeing surplus bench and rub the barrel channel on it.

Attachments

• Broach from Boeing surplus being used to relief Boyd stock to take 91 30 barrel tiny for TFL.jpg
    Broach from Boeing surplus being used to relief Boyd stock to take 91 30 barrel tiny for TFL.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 864

edward5759

nice broach Clark

XD45Sooner
I have several wooden dowels that I wrap with 100 grit paper and within minuets I am done.
I like to go over the stock with 220 grit afterward to smooth it out.
When I am done I seal the wood with linseed oil or paint it with epoxy for a finish that that reduce warpage.
Do it your self Just take your time .
ed