Open carry in WI?

abrahamsmith

I'm pretty sure that, technically, open carry is legal in WI; however, it appears to be totally socially unacceptable unless you're obviously hunting.

I'm curious: has anyone here ever carried or seen anyone (non-cop) carry openly in WI? What was the response?

I talked to a guy once who said he was in a long battle with the Madison police about carrying openly. He was trying to figure out if he could carry openly or carry unloaded (with loaded magazine) in a hip-pack legally in the city. technically, both should be yes, but they said no.

Monkeyleg

Hi, Abe. This subject came up in the state supreme court arguments in state vs. Gonzales. The assistant attorney general said it was the government's position that open carry was legal and that one could walk down Washington street in Madison with a loaded shotgun. Of course, the ass't AG didn't mention that it would result in a disorderly conduct or disturbing the peace charge.

HSMITH

I have researched it a little in the metro-SE part of WI. The answer is a big NO it is not legal. Basically something will be trumped up even if it is disturbing the peace. WI is not a gun friendly state.

nemesis

Listen up, folks; this is just a personal opinion.

If walking down the street with a gun hanging on your hip turns your crank; I guess you should do it.

If you're carrying for defensive reasons, you just lost the tactical advantage. We ALL know you're carrying. And, those guys over there, have decided they're going to blind side you and take your pistol.

Nice move.

abrahamsmith

Nemesis:
We've all seen the debate about open vs concealed carry.. I was more curious about the legal and political climate in wisconsin than about personal advice on carrying options.