Open Carry In Connecticut

turbotype87

First let me say that this forum is great, and it has alot of great information. That being said, I need to let the Ct permit holders know that I just like them have been told that in this state we must conceal pistols and revolvers. Little did i know this is not the case. Connecticut has a open carry law, thanks to my brother who has done his homework on this issue, I will not conceal my handguns anymore. Of course there our exceptions. The obvious being schools, federal buildings, and businesses where the owners have it posted no firearms allowed. What i don't understand is why the NRA Instructors who give the classes for the state permit tell the people that they must conceal the firearms when carrying.

CortJestir

Man, I gotta find this instructor and slap him upside the head. This is the 2nd time in as many weeks that someone's asked about this due to what an instructor has said regarding open carrying in CT.

Bottom line, there's nothing against the law about open carry, but it's ill-advised as you can get cited for breach of peace and get your firearms taken away and permit to carry suspended. This is how they legislate around it.

Have a look at this thread:
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=404593

ETA:

What i don't understand is why the NRA Instructors who give the classes for the state permit tell the people that they must conceal the firearms when carrying.

Either because they don't fully understand the law or for liability purposes. My guess it's a bit of both...

Last edited:

CortJestir

^ Still ill-advised, IMO, even though there is now precedent. Definitely a good thing and a step in the right direction, but I for one do not want to wait hours, days, months, years while my handgun is locked away in some evidence locker until it all gets sorted out.

1776 Patriat

I've been open carrying now in CT for about 6 months. Most don't even notice. The one's that do are either curious and ask if i'm LEO or don't care. Hasn't been much of an issue for me. If more people OC'd in this state, the public would become more educated about it and less and less fearful over time imo. The Goldberg case brought the OC issue in CT (even though he was CC in Chiles) into the spotlight. Huge props to him as it has educated many local PD's about the legality of OC which will only help us in the long run. Great site by the way, happy to be a 'newb' too.........:D

Patriot

Last edited:

bls1973

Open carry is legal in CT. I myself was instructed by my NRA instructer some time ago that it wasa not a wise move though as youj were left open to " Breach of Peace ".
Let me say that it is rediculous that an NRA member/instucter would be saying this. It is this type of " better be careful to do something "legal" attitude that has caused problems with carrying in the open.
I myself prefer to carry concealed as I do not feel the need to have people know I am carrying. However, with that being said I do carry openly atr times when concealed is not a viable option.
I have info from CCDL with referance to this,,

" A memo sent out on 4/10/2010 by the DPS stated that cspd should not arrest a properly permitted individual for open carry in public, and that they should not be required tro show their permit ( This I have a probelm with, if an officer state or local asked me-- guess what I'm gonna show him or her my permit.. Anyone who does not when asked is an idiot and does not help the cause.. Just sayin.. )

Also stated was that open carry in public does not meet the statutory requirements for the arrest or charging of the following laws that have been leveled at open carry in the past, they are Breach of Peace, Public Disturbance and Disorderly Conduct..

Bottom line... If you choose to carry openly, do not fidget, get nervous or act suspicious.. It is your right to carry, own it. Secondly if you are approached by an officer, do not be stupid and act like an ass. Be courteous and helpful, surrender your sidearm and permit to them ( if they ask for either )while they check the validity of your permit. You will get both back, this I know from experience.

I was asked by a CS Trooper last year in the area of Granby last year. I was with my wife and children. I gave hime my PP on top of my CDL when asked. He asked if he could see my sidearm, I explained to him it was loaded and gave ot to him ( In a safe, non-threatening manner of course ) I imagine he checked my PP and CDL as well as the sidearm ( To make sure it was not stolen or properly registered. ) He came back 10 min later handed me my CDL/PP the magazine from my SF30, the round he ejected to safe the sidearm and the SF 30 and said Thankyou and have a nice day...

Take it for what it is worth, As PP holders in CT we should not be subjected to fines/court dates/ lawyer fees etc for doing something taht is not illegal. Just getting a PP these days with the fees and wait time is hard enough ( but necessary )

bls1973 said:
" A memo sent out on 4/10/2010 by the DPS stated that cspd should not arrest a properly permitted individual for open carry in public, and that they should not be required tro show their permit ( This I have a probelm with, if an officer state or local asked me-- guess what I'm gonna show him or her my permit.. Anyone who does not when asked is an idiot and does not help the cause.. Just sayin.. )
If you choose to show your permit when it is NOT required by law, that is certainly your prerogative, but why do you have a problem with police officers being expected to follow the law?

The Connecticut permit is a "Permit to Carry." The permit says nothing about "concealed," and the underlying state statute says nothing about "concealed." Therefore, as some other state agency has now formalized, open carry is legal in Connecticut for those who hold a Connecticut carry permit. It is not "Constitutional carry" (any kind of carry, for everyone), and since Connecticut does not recognize permits from any other state it does not allow for open (or any other kind of) carry by non-residents who do not hold a Connecticut permit.

The basic premise of Constitutional rights, affirmed by the Supreme Court in Terry, is that a police officer may not stop you or detain you unless there is some reasonable suspicion based on clearly articulable facts that a crime has been committed, is being committed, or is about to be committed. Given that open carry is expressly LEGAL for those who have a permit, simply seeing a person openly carrying a gun does not provide any "clearly articulable facts" on which an officer can form a reasonable suspicion that the person is committing a crime. Therefore, he has no right to ask for your permit.

The analogy would be cars and drivers' licenses. The law requires a license to operate a motor vehicle on a public street. Officer Friendly sees a man driving a car on Main Street. Does Officer Friendly have any right to stop the car and ask the operator for his driver's license, simply because the man was driving? Of course not. Not unless the man is driving in a manner that would be in violation of the motor vehicle operating regulations.

Why should it be any different for a person walking down Main Street wearing a sidearm?

Last edited:

Standing Wolf

Member in memoriam
If more people OC'd in this state, the public would become more educated about it and less and less fearful over time imo.

Amen, 1776 Patriat! I'll add this: people who are afraid to exercise our civil rights don't still have them.

bls1973

good point

Aquila you bring up a good point. I personally do not see the problem with an officer asking to see your permit. You know that there are pd depts out there that either do not know what the laws are or do not care and will ticket / charge someone either way. It will still cost you big with time and money if this happens to you. I have heard some stories from a PD friend ( who agrees and knows CT is open carry ) that some poeple have been open carrying and taunting the pd or becoming hostile when approached. I do not think that we will do ourselves a service by going about this in a negative way.
As I stated previously I prefer concealed carry for myself but do open carry occasionally and will more often if it helps eduacate people / pd officers.
There was a pamphlet from the CCDL that puts everything into perspective which I received from a visit to Riverview Guns which I made copies of and carry all the time should I need tro pass one out.

bls1973 said:
I have heard some stories from a PD friend ( who agrees and knows CT is open carry ) that some poeple have been open carrying and taunting the pd or becoming hostile when approached.
"Taunting" the police? How would someone who is lawfully carrying a firearm without concealing it "taunt" the police -- unless the police choose to view engaging in a lawful activity as "taunting." If so -- then that's the crux of the problem, isn't it?

Likewise "becoming hostile when approached." Why are they being approached? If open carry is lawful, why would a police officer have an reason to "approach" a person who happens to be wearing a sidearm? Let's go back to the driving example. If you have a driver's license, and you own your car and it is currently registered and insured, and you obey all the traffic rules, how would you feel if a police officer randomly stopped you to ask for your driver's license and registration?

"May I ask why I was stopped, Officer?"

"Because you're driving a car, that's why."

I'm sure you'd be just as pleased as punch (to borrow a phrase from the late Hubert H. Humphrey) over such an "approach," right? Can you honestly say that you wouldn't perhaps be a bit hostile?

It's about RIGHTS, and it's about LAWS, and it's about the apparently radical concept that police officers are supposed to (a) respect rights, and (b) follow the law. If we allow them to exceed their authority, they come to believe that they have every right to do so -- and they don't.