Oops what was I think'en.

After all the facts have been factored. All its advertizements longingly looked over. All those fellers. Yup! those (armchair experts on the subject) co-workers who have spoken their advice.

Have you ever bought /traded for a new or used rifle that turned out to be marginal for its desired purpose? _:confused:__ :rolleyes:

gman3

Bid one to many times on a Remington 750 Carbine after reading all of the negative stuff on them. Have not shot it yet, so I may qualify for your question.

I'm hoping I don't regret it.

That may be why I have not shot it yet, so I don't have to regret it.

Nathan

Naw, I always make my own decisions and own up to them. Advice is just advice.;)

OK, got that out of my system:eek:. . . .I did buy an RIA 1911 based on numerous good reviews here and everywhere. Mine looked pretty rough. Functioned pretty well, but with mini sights and hammer bite, it was no fun to shoot.

Oldshooter60

Marlin xt22-mr

Bought a used marlin once for $100 and it would not feed the .22wmr very well... Lots of sharp places on the magazine

And I like the other two marlins I have (a .22 and a 30-30)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 30
I once traded a brand new 60 Winchester Model 94 w/case sling and a William's Fool Proof Peep just mounted that year. {only once had I hunted the woods with that 94.} For a heavy Fajen stocked 98 Mauser action having a cheap 22-250 barrel. The 98 it had the nicest brand new deep Bluing job I ever seen at that time. The 98s bolt was totally opposite and so disappointing. Its ejector claw was bent so bad. One out of every three shells stayed chambered. Oh I was sick over that deal for many years. Come to find out the individual who happily convinced me to trade at a Trap Range I frequented. He blued and or re-blued guns for the local gunsmiths here in this large metropolitan area at his home. Time heal all wounds thank Goodness. :eek:

Blindstitch

Yep.
Bought a nice looking used H&R revolver in 22lr. The price was right. Then I took it out and shot it. After 5 shots I still hadn't hit the target. Got a bigger target and stood closer. In the end I learned if I had to shoot a man size target at 15 yards I needed to aim for the crotch to get a chest shot.

And I haven't shot the gun since.

jmr40

Many times. They don't hang around for long though. Over the years I've bought a LOT of guns just to see whether or not I actually liked them. There have been as many pleasant surprises as disappointments.

I was absolutely convinced I'd hate a Glock for years. I eventually ran across a used one cheap enough that I knew I'd be able to get my money back after a few months. The plan was to buy it, shoot it long enough to convince myself that I was right then get rid of it. I now own 7.

Reading internet gun forums convinced me to give CZ's a try. Absolutely the worst handguns I've ever owned. The CZ 452 rifle is a keeper, but I want no part of their handguns.

I could write a book, but will stop here to keep the post fairly brief.

bamaranger

sort of

I just had to have a PSL. And drove a fair piece to buy one at a half decent price. Layed in some import ammo, bought brass and dies, worked up loads for it, have probably run 300 rds through the thing. It was reliable, but the mount left a bit to be desired. Solved a loose mount problem, worked up a dope card out to 600 yds, and could hit a 20" gong out there fairly consistently if the wind wasn't too bad. Printed a factory manual, started a log book. Took it hunting a bit, the illum scope was half useful a dusk. Made or commented on several posts on this website regards the rifle.

I bet I haven't shot it in a year and a half.

They keep going up in price....I keep threatening to sell it.

Picher

In my teen years (late 1950s), I bought and traded more rifles than any sane person might believe. My first was a Stevens semi-auto .22LR that was used quite effectively at plinking targets and small game. After shooting a lot of rounds through it, I finally shot it from a rest to see how accurate it was. It grouped about 2 inches at 25 yards or so. Confidence lost, I traded it the next day!

Several rifles disappointed me, but not more than a Remington 512 bolt-action. The action was very rough, so returned it the first day I shot it and got something else. The guy at the gun shop credited me what I paid for it, since I traded a lot there.

I walked out with a new Remington pump and kept that for several months, then traded for a Marlin 39A Mountie, which was very accurate, and after adding a receiver sight, kept for several years. The receiver top was not square with the sides and that bugged me so much I traded it. DUH!

Last edited:

aarondhgraham

Yep, M-1 Carbine,,,

Way back in the 90's I lived in California,,,
When the assault rifle ban looked imminent,,,
I decided to buy some semi-rifle while I still could.

I didn't like the normal choices,,,
SKS's, AK-47's, and AR-15's left me cold.

I found an M-1 Carbine that was in nice condition,,,
My uncle had one when I was a kid and I shot it regularly,,,
So I succumbed to nostalgia and bought it with 300 rounds of ammo.

There was nothing at all wrong with that rifle,,,
It performed just like my memories said it would,,,
But for some inexplicable reason I never warmed up to it.

I found I just didn't enjoy shooting it as much as I thought I would,,,
In fact ten years later I still had 150 rounds of that ammo.

So, I ended up giving it to a young veteran I worked with,,,
He was doing some heavy grunt work for me and saw it on my wall.

It wasn't really a gift so much as payment for his labor,,,
I had agreed to pay him $250.00 for his work,,,
He took the rifle and ammo instead.

Good deal for both of us as I had paid $275.00 for the rifle and ammo.

It's funny that something I loved so much as a kid,,,
Just didn't thrill me very much as an adult.

Aarond

Picher

Aarond: I know what you mean. My brother had one and I loved shooting it, but he had to sell it and I've never owned or shot one since. My Son-in-law received a commercial one from his grandfather's estate, and its temporarily here, but I don't have any desire to shoot it.

Mobuck

Current issue Win M-70 in 223 WSSM(actually didn't have my glasses on and didn't double check the guy's description of "it's a .223"). Unfortunately, discovered that by the time the scope was zeroed, the bore was so fouled that it required cleaning--at which time it also had to be re-zeroed. Results: an endless loop of zero, clean, re-zero. Worthless POS. Sold it and the brass accumulated from the ridiculously expensive factory ammo I wasted attempting to achieve a usable hunting rifle.

tahoe2

My "what was I thinkin" moment was about 13 years ago when the " Mauser Bug" bit me ! I just had to have this decent looking Spanish Mauser (Bubba'd), the owner stated his collection was going in a different direction. So after shooting it, it was quite accurate, 1" @ 50 yds and 2"-3" @ 100 with iron sights and factory ammo. Turns out the brass was .010" over sized and stretched .005" -.007" after shooting, not sure if lug setback is part of the equation also, but now I stick with 98 actions. I only paid $175 for the Spaniard, so lesson learned. :eek: