OOPS...Bought wrong Bullets...Anyone used 55 gr fmj's w/ 22-250?

castnblast

In my haste at Cabella's, I got the wrong bullets. I meant to get 55 gr. spitzer boat tails (Sierra Game Kings) and instead got home (3.5 hour drive later) and discovered I got 55 gr. FMJ Boat-tail (Game Kings). I know it's SUPPOSED to stay intact, but have any of you guys hit something with one of these? Do they blow up when they hit bone, or keep sailing? I'm talking on med. Game like javelina, yotes, small hogs, etc. Just curious. If not, I guess they'll make for some good pelt rounds. Heck, might be a good turkey round...:rolleyes:

flutedchamber

I have not used Sierra fmj, but have used Hornady fmj. The bullet will not expand, but will possibly tumble if it hits or is deflected off of any sizeable bone.
Just aim for the head, and you don't need any expansion.

Scorch

castnblast-
The FMJs will work fine for coyotes and varmints, but will ricochet. That is the main advantage of varmint bullets, they break up when they hit things.

For javelinas and other game animals, you should use soft point bullets. Game laws.

castnblast

Thanks scorch, that was what I was afraid of, but I wanted to ask anyway. I loaded 5 up last night to take to the range & find out where they shoot compared to the soft point boat tails I INTENDED to purchase. (I'm still kicking myself for that stupid mistake:mad: ) If they are close on paper, I'll keep some handy. We don't have any restrictions in TX as to type of bullets to use, so having them with me won't get me in any trouble. I guess I'll shoot them up and pay closer attention next time.

SmokinTom

Why don`t you find a good place to order them from instead of driving that far? Shipping and handling would be a lot less than gas for all that driveing.Use Google and see what you can find.Tom

castnblast

I should have clarified that. I was up there at a family reunion. Since I was there already, I just had to go in and spend some money. I could wipe out a whole year's salary in that place in 1 hour. I normally buy from Midway or the local gun shop.