oops - big holes - wha to do

tINY

I received my 100 45colt cases yesterday. I don't know if I hit the wrong button, wasn't paying attention or ???. Either way, I notice the headstamp says "blank" and the flash holes are 0.140.

Since the rounds are for a SAA using Trailboss powder, I didn't think it would be an issue. Any other thoughts on loading low pressure 45 colt rounds in cases with big flash holes?

-tINY

musher

I wouldn't load them.

check your email receipt (since you mentioned clicking a button, I assume it was an internet purchase) & return them if they're not what you ordered.

Otherwise, I'd just order another 100

G'day, picture this. Somebody sees some 45 Colt ammo that says "blank"and pockets a couple. Then later loads them, and just for fun points the gun at one of your kids and pulls the trigger.
As a Father that has buried 2 sons I can tell you it's not fun.
I'm on the other side of the world, so I'm probably safer (from your blank) than your fellow countrymen.

Last edited:

tINY

So, the concern is the headstamp and not the flash hole.

I wasn't even thinking in those terms.....

-tINY

ballardw

I do not know about these but much military brass for blanks is different than actual cases to save money and will not stand the designed pressure of a loaded cartridge.

snuffy

ballardw

I do not know about these but much military brass for blanks is different than actual cases to save money and will not stand the designed pressure of a loaded cartridge.

I too had heard that military blanks were made from brass that was rejected for one reason or another. Could be that's the same procedure to name these brass cases you have. The over large flash hole shouldn't be a concern, if used with a light, low power load, like what your SAA revolver needs anyway.

If it were me, I'd try them with the TB load and a 230 grain bullet. But, then I've been doing this for forty + years.

tINY

It's brand new brass. It's headstamped to indicate that it has a large flash hole. The flash hole is the part that had me worried.

If someone thinks that a headstamp the says "blank" means that the front half of a 255gr SWC lead bullet is imaginary and then points a gun at someone directly (with no muzzle device), I can fault them twice...

-tINY

Sport45

Look at this thread. Starline makes brass for blanks with a 0.140" flash hole. If this is what you have you definately don't want to load it with a bullet. It doesn't look like Starline even allows for reloading a second blank charge in these cases.

tINY

This makes sense. It didn't look like it was thinner than the once fired remm brass I have. But I'll measure it.

-tINY

musher

The larger flash hole has the potential for changing the pressures dramatically. It may also change the back pressure against the primer causing primers to back out on you.

In my opinion, loading these with bullets would fall in the category of experimenting, not reloading. If you do proceed, you should NOT trust any of the reloading recipes from the manual.

Seriously, for whatever 100 pieces of 45 brass cost are you willing to experiment with the integrity of your revolver or body parts.

If I couldn't return them, I would crush them and dump them in the recycle bucket, or I would use them for shooting the primer powered plastic bullets that speer makes.

Edited: I just looked up the price on 45 brass. For $25 you can replace these with good brass. You can't even fill up your car for $25 (well hardly anyway). It's really not worth the risk to play with these.

Last edited:

snuffy

Is it this stuff?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=418223

Or this stuff;

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=254946

The second link says nothing about loading that 45 colt brass. I'm curious enough to order some just to see why it COULDN'T be loaded with light loads.(out of stock anyway).

I know that the lead-free,(NT), handgun brass, (45 auto), that's out there has larger flash holes, there's no problem loading those with standard loads. But how much larger are they?

I dunno, maybe best to not fool around with it!:eek:

musher

My understanding is that the winclean leadfree factory loads have a flash hole something like .125, but I've never seen or measured any. A standard flash hole is something like .06-.08

Winchester did extensive testing on their brass before coming to the conclusion it was safe to reload.

The difference between .125 and .140 is a flash hole that is 25% bigger. That's enough to make me cautious.