Only one caliber?

hooligan1

If and I say, If there were only one caliber, for target, for hunting, law enforcement, what would the consensus say?:rolleyes:

Clifford L. Hughes

Hoolligan 1:

My M 70 Winchester 30/06 doesn't like 100 and 110 grain bullets; however, some 30/06 rifles do. Mine will handle 125 gr. through 220 gr. The modern bullet technology places the 30/06 far ahead of the ammo loaded forty years ago. You can't go wrong with a 30/06.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired

jmr40

Same is true with the 308. I truly love both calibers and used the 30-06 as my only rifle for most of my life. But while the '06 has slightly better paper ballistics I cannot think of a real life situation where one would do anything the other won't do. If a 308 won't get the job done you need something a lot bigger than the 30-06 to make a difference

I made my choice of the 308 because you can put together a smaller, lighter rifle on a short acton if you want one. If you don't, then you can build your rifle any you want.

I've found the 308 easier and cheaper to reload for. Less powder for nearly the same velocity and longer brass life.

kraigwy

Not a fair question. I just came in from shooting my 1917 Eddystone after putting a wider front sight on it. Shoots great, < 2 inches. Shot the reduce AQC and got 36 out 40 (while adjusting the windage on the front sight.

So now I'd have to say '06, ask me again tomorrow. I'll probably shoot something else and have another answer.

1917%20Enfield.jpg

ltc444

Haven't found this much agreement in a Post in a long time. I vote for the 308.

The shorter cartridge (308) makes for a more compact rifle with a faster cycle time than is possible in 30-06.

comment. The Military version of the 308 and 30-06 are identical.

macsters

i hear a lot of .308, but i would like to point out that shooting .308 out of a handgun would be miserable and unrealistic for anyone less than 6'4" and 220.

of course, we are in the rifle forum....so in that case my vote is 7.62x54r.

why? because ballistically it is more powerful than the .308; its equitable to the 30-06. BUT its about 1 cm shorter than the 30-06. generally better choice, IMO.

if, however, we are taking into account the necessity of using handguns (REAL handguns, none of those cut down AR's and AK's which get sold as handguns), i would go with .30 carbine. big enough to take deer (and people) at limited ranges and small enough to be fired out of a realistically sized revolver by most people.

EDIT: i would like to add that the OP did include law enforcement and self defense. so the cartridge has to be able to be fired in a pistol.