Online gun dealer fined $200,000 for sales in N.Y.

Drizzt

Online gun dealer fined $200,000 for sales in N.Y.

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

(October 18, 2002) — ALBANY — A Georgia-based online and mail-order weapons retailer will pay a $200,000 fine for selling more than 4,500 illegal weapons to New York customers over the past three years, Attorney General Eliot Spitzer announced Thursday.

Bud K Worldwide Inc. has agreed to stop selling and shipping illegal weapons to New York addresses, Spitzer said.

New Yorkers ordered about $1 million worth of weapons from the Moultrie, Ga., company between September 1999 and May 2002. Eleven percent of those sales concerned weapons that are illegal in New York state, such as electric stun guns, Kung Fu throwing stars and the Fang of Baelin knuckle knife, Spitzer said.

“We were not aware they were restricted,” said Rodney Hunter, Bud K’s chief financial officer. “As soon as we were informed they were restricted, we stopped selling to that state.”

The company’s Web site boasts the “best knife prices,” offering, for example, a cane-sheathed sword for $19.95.

“A 15-year-old, or someone with a criminal record could go online with a credit card number and have these products shipped into New York state,” Spitzer said.

“These are lethal weapons. These can kill, maim, threaten. They’re used in robberies, assaults, murders.”

The martial arts weapons supplier must pay New York $198,000 in penalties and $2,000 to reimburse Spitzer’s office for its investigation. The company must provide Spitzer’s office with a list of New York customers who bought illegal weapons, and notify those buyers about their illegal purchase. It also must publish notices in its catalog and Web site telling customers which products are illegal in New York.

Possessing the weapons is considered a fourth-degree misdemeanor, which carries a maximum prison sentence of one year. Legal weapons the company sells include air guns and regular knives.

Consumers who turn in their illegal weapons to local police will not face criminal charges, Spitzer said.

The investigation began in October 2001, after a woman walked into the attorney general’s Rochester office with a catalog, asking if the items were legal.

“She had no idea how she wound up on their mailing list. When the catalog showed up at her house, she was upset,” said Benjamin Bruce, an assistant attorney general in Rochester.

The company had previously reached settlements with Massachusetts and California for selling illegal weapons in those states, Spitzer said.

Hunter denied the 14-year-old company had “any other issues with other states.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/news/1018story23_news.shtml

Neat headline, considering that guns had absolutely NOTHING to do with any of the charges.....

They make it sound as if you could go out to the Bud K website and purchase Uzis and HKs.

spacemanspiff

i got the 'fang of baelin' as a gift for my boss. it looks great sitting on his desk. oddly enough since its been in his office the number of people going in there to complain has dropped. wonder if theres a connection?

yankytrash

Maybe I've been living under my rock too long, but was there really a rash of throwing-star muggings? Brass knuckle assaults? Stun gun robberies?

OF

“A 15-year-old, or someone with a criminal record could go online with a credit card number and have these products shipped into New York state,” Spitzer said.

“These are lethal weapons. These can kill, maim, threaten. They’re used in robberies, assaults, murders.”
BLISSNINNY! Back in your hole, rabbit, before I stick you in the eye with my ball point pen.

- Gabe

tyme

Administrator
Regardless of the fact that the charges weren't for selling firearms, the outfit doesn't look like it's an online gun dealer. I don't see any guns. Did they remove them or is the writer smoking crack?

Zander

The company must provide Spitzer’s office with a list of New York customers who bought illegal weapons, and notify those buyers about their illegal purchase.
Spitzer is a fascist of the first order. Remember his promise to bankrupt a certain gun mfr.?

He wants to demonize NY residents for the purchases of furthering his political career.

Hkmp5sd

They DO NOT sell firearms.....

I get catalogs from them all of the time. Most of what they sell are cheap reproductions of swords, martial arts and medieval weapons. I consider most if it "novelties" instead of actual weapons.

They do sell two types of "GUNS". Stun Guns and BB Guns.

The article is trying to mislead readers into thinking they sold over $1 million in illegal firearms in NY, which is obviously untrue.