One size fits all ?

lilguy

I load for a S+W 8 in 500, 12 in 460 mag and a Ruger 480. Powder is a problem,
cannot find quantity of anything. I have been loading IMR 4227 in the 480 and 357 Herrett and would like to use it in the 460 and 500 also. I could control the number of powders I need on hand, even with the inability to get many now.

Opinions please on 4227 as an all around powder for the referenced guns. Thanks all.

lilguy

I called Hodgdon today and they told me that H4227 was discontinued 3 years ago and you can substitute IRM4227. Starting out at their low end figure for each load and watching for high pressure signs as you get to max loads.

H110 is almost impossible to get but I can procure enough 4227 to keep active.

I'll look for 2400, just don't want multiple cans of powder I'll never use. That's why I'm asking about your experiences with my calibers. Thanks

buck460XVR

IMR 4227 is my go to powder for hunting loads outta my PC .460 Comped Hunter. My best luck is with loads that are just at or just below being compressed. I've never had good luck with 2400 outta my X-Frame....but both H110/W296 and IMR4227 work very well. IMR4227 seems to b a tad less temperature sensitive and since deer season around here can be 85 above to 20 below, it works well in either extreme. Velocities are a tad lower than with H110/W296 but accuracy is a tad better, so it seems to be an even trade-off.

tangolima

I use h110 for my .30 carbine loads, till I ran out and couldn't find any.

Then I found imr4227, and Ramshot enforcer. They work, after some adjustment in the charge of course.

-TL