One Shot Stops Database

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Someone in another thread posted this link (I couldn't find the thread again or I'd give them kudos). I find the information to be very interesting and thought it would be fun to discuss.

What are your thought on this data?

http://www.handloads.com/misc/stoppingpower.asp?Caliber=0

I'll start with one observation. In most cases, the samples sizes are too small to be truly indicative of actual performance between calibers and, especially, between bullets within a cartridge.

Sam06

That is a cool Data base.

I was surprised at how many people were shot with a 30-30. It did a good job too.

I would say your statement is correct but there are some good samples sizes for the more popular calibers like 9mm, 45ACP,40 ect.....
I'll start with one observation. In most cases, the samples sizes are too small to be truly indicative of actual performance between calibers and, especially, between bullets within a cartridge.

It also goes to show how much more of a fight stopper a Rifle is than a handgun. Even the most powerful handguns are not match for a Rifle

That is the Marshall and Sanow data. It is interesting, but there are a lot of questions regarding it also. Some put a lot of weight in the numbers, some tend to reject the numbers entirely. A net search should give you plenty of info both pro and con.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
A net search should give you plenty of info both pro and con.

That would take effort!;):rolleyes: I'm just kidding. I've looked around, there is plenty of controversy in general about their research. I'm not sure what the argument would about this data however, it seems pretty cut and dry.

really, ok what about diameter?

Diameter is indicating the final size of the bullet. For instance, if a 357 magnum says .65 under diameter it means it expanded by roughly .3 inches, which is pretty good.

Al Thompson

Staff Alumnus
I find it hard to believe those numbers - gross numbers maybe, but that many folks were shot with PMC .30-30 ammo when Remington, Federal and Winchester sell 20 times what PMC does? Makes my "Nope" buzzer go off.

I do not trust the source of that data at all either. For an interesting evenings reading, search Marshall and Sanow here on TFL. :rolleyes:

Sam06

Al, That was my thought also. I looked at the data and there were more shootings with a 30-30 with Winchester 150gr JHP's but it was not as good a stopper.

I looked at the 45 ACP 230gr FMJ and I was amazed it did as bad as it did a 62% 1SS.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
ok, well doesn't it also matter where you shoot? I mean if you shoot in the head the BG will be stopped w/ a 22 bullet

It certainly does matter. That's one of the reasons I mentioned the size of the available samples. Over a large enough sample size the variables like shot placement start to "disappear" and you're left with the true story about general effectiveness. That true story might be that there is no real difference between the major SD calibers/cartridges, I don't know for sure.

Al Thompson

Staff Alumnus
Sam, I now think less of the "data" base - no way in the world they got decent information on that many shootings with a .30-30 AND load data.

Hate to say it, but "super-secret" information has always been an issue with M&S. :(

Doc TH

"stopping power"

Have to agree with "petezakiller". Even several hundred cases are not statistically compelling, partly because of the heterogeneity between individual instances - e.g., range, size/weight of person, and most important, shot placement, etc. I noticed that all the .308 data were for 168 gr match ammo. This isn't the most common .308 ammo out there. Can we conclude that these were likely police or SWAT sniper shootings? If so, then you should expect a very high proportion of one shot stops for obvious reasons. Also, average penetration was given as about 25 inches; that would be unlikely to be measurable in front to back (or back-front) hits on the torso, or extremities or head and neck; in most humans that would be a through-and-through wound. So, how was average penetration measured?

As noted, there is a great deal of controversy about using these data as reliable probability figures.

csmsss

If this "data" is from the Marshall/Sanow book, then supposedly it's based only on center mass/torso shots. There have been many objections raised over the years to the Marshall/Sanow methodology and conclusions, and it's far from established that their conclusions are, indeed, valid and predictive.

I'll not comment further, but count me OUT of the Marshall/Sanow camp.

FM12

Speaking of the 30-30, I saw some pics of a drunk shot and killed by a 30-30 at CLOSE range. He died so fast, that when he collpased, he held on to this beer in one hand and the cigarette in the other. Nevewr did let go of either one!:eek:

curt.45

He died so fast, that when he collapsed, he held on to this beer in one hand and the cigarette in the other. Never did let go of either one!

so does the shooter get points for style or the dead guy for not wasting beer?

a total comparison of all shootings would be nice but probably impossible to get.

and my other idea would be totally out of the question, getting a bunch of bad guys together and shooting them at different ranges with different calibers and recording the data.

One shot stop statistics are not gospel and Marshall will agree with that; he teaches shoot to lock-back. It is just one way of many to compare calibers. All they show is that with torso shots, the primary handgun calibers (9mm, 40 s&w, 45, 357 Sig, 357 mag, 10mm) are effective at stopping a threat 90% of the time. They also show the drastic difference in effectiveness of a jhp vs. fmj.

I did find some of the expansion and penetration information in Marshalls book to be interesting; some bullet that do not perform well in 4 layer denim and jello tests work just fine on people. It just goes to show you that you cant base your choices on just one set of information.

Webleymkv

Some people (such as more than a few over a firearmstactical) seem to think that Marsahall and Sanow intentionally "cooked the books" but I find that a bit hard to believe. It is true, however, that there are some statistical errors in the data and that certain factors such as the person who was shot and shot placement aren't really taken fully into account. I think we can draw some general conclusions from the study though. By and large, JHP is better than FMJ or LRN, a .357 Magnum is better than a .25ACP, a rifle or shotgun is better than a handgun, etc.

Sam06

I keep a 30-30 in My truck as my primary SD weapon. My Pistol is just to fight my way to the rifle. I thought the 30-30 with its friendly wood stock and cowboy looks would be less threatening than my M4. Its good to know that if I shot a drunk he will be DRT and not spill any beer:D

I am not so sure their this data is true. Its hard to believe that many folks have been killed with PMC ammo. Look at the 38spl data. If its to be believed the 38spl in a 2" gun is more deadly that in a 4".

M&S have been compiling this data for a long time but I am leery of some of it. I checked out the "Best Self Defense ammo" article and the data is almost wholly based on testing.

There are some good points to these tests though:

1. Have a Gun
2. A man with a rifle will kill a man with a pistol, right Blondie:)
3. Bullet placement is king and Penetration is queen.

Lastly I did not see any shotgun data, maybe I missed it but a shotgun would be my second choice after a rifle for SD(Notice I did not say CCW)