One quick question on plastic/alloy holsters.

jfrey123

I'm looking at various holsters for my Glock 17. I've been considering the hard plastic/alloy holsters for their ability to "click" a weapon into place without a need for a bothersome top strap. Here's an example, this one with pretty carbon fiber building to it.

http://www.cactustactical.com/osc/product_info.php?products_id=5

My question is will hard plastic/alloy holsters scratch or damage the finish on my firearm? Not a duty weapon, but the intent for this holster would be for open carry while camping/target shooting where the pistol will likely be holstered and unholstered repeatedly. I just like my Glock and want to keep it looking pretty, that's all. This mainly stems from a rumor I heard that they could wear down the front sight with constant reholstering. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Jim Watson

The Kydex (plastic) holsters that I use rub the finish a bit.
They have sight clearance and will not wear down the plastic front sight of a Glock.
How did you make a Glock pretty in the first place?

Frenchy

I've carried my HS2K in a Blade-Tech kydex for six years with minimal wear. The holster grabs the gun at the trigger guard.
I've suffered much more wear with leather and nylon.

Renfield

I've got a Blade Tech "In the Waistband Universal Fits All Holster" for my Glock 17..I bought J Hooks to replace those belt loops though

I suspect that eventually the holster may wear on the finish of the Glock but the finish on my Glock isn't pretty anymore anyway (indeed if it ever was :) )

jfrey123

Thanks for the help guys. I'm still kinda cut down the middle though, my main problem being this is my first handgun, it's brand new, and I don't want to end up beating it up needlessly.

Steve, how does that Snaplok holster work exactly? It's unclear from the photos on the website.

TexasCop

I have a bianchi finger lock for my glock 17/19. There is a small spring loaded paddle that locks into the trigger guard when the gun is inserted. If you grab the gun and pull up on it, the paddle is inside the trigger guard and won't allow the gun to come out. You have to push down on the paddel with your middle or index finger (I used middle as my index is already indexed along the gun) and this moves the paddle out of the trigger guard and allows you to draw the gun.

I've seen similar designs on some of the carbon fiber holsters and am actually looking into trying one out.

Desertscout1

I am a dealer/distributor for Comp-Tac, Blade Tech and Fobus and have sold hundreds of them. Everyone that works here wears either Blade Tech or Comp-Tac and we all love them. The wear is so minimal as to be a non-issue. Fact is, if you actually USE your gun and practice regularly, ANY holster will show some eventually. Between the practice and demonstrations that we do and the training that we participate in, we make 10's of thousands of presentations a year from Kydex holsters and the visible wear is so little that it's bearly visible in most guns. Another thing to consider is the quality of the holster. Most quality Kydex holsters wear less than a plastic one like Fobus.

Renfield

Most quality Kydex holsters wear less than a plastic one like Fobus.

what is the difference between kydex and plastic ? not being a smart aleck so please don't get me wrong but I'm a laymen when it comes to polymer, plastic, kydex etc

Desertscout1

The best way I can explain it is like the difference in iron and steel. The properties of kydex are conderably different than plain ol' plastic like a cassette tape case or a Fobus holster for that matter. Blade Tech has some holsters that are hand-made of Kydex but their injection molded holsters are made out of pretty much the same thing as Fobus.
Here's an explanation from the net:

KYDEX is an extremely durable, fire-retardant, acrylic/PVC alloy that offers excellent resilience, chemical resistance and fire-retardancy. It is also easy to machine, and offers integral color, making it the ideal laminating material in commercial, institutional, public and integral industrial builds for a wide range of custom and original equipment applications.

MADISON

Plastic holsters

I have a 16 year old Glock 21 and several of those "plastic" holsters, for it.
What I do is...
Spray a little WD-40 inside the holster when I use it.

stevekolt

J,
It's as TexasCop said. Your middle finger depresses the lever as you draw the gun, and when you reholster, there is a positive snap when it is locked back in place.

Boondoggie

I've been using a Comp-Tec holster (Kydex) with my Glock G34 in IDPA for about a year now. We shoot every week. In this time I have not noticed any appreciative wear on the finish.

I understand your concerns about it being your first gun and want to protect it, but as liliysdad said, it's a tool, all tools wear, internally or otherwise.

kansas45

So far my favorite is a Blackhawk CQC Serta. I use it with my XD45 Tactical.
It is a Carbon-Fiber Composit. I cant CC in Kansas yet but will be able to after January 1st, 2007. I have used it quite a bit & haven't seen any wear on the XD. The holster comes with a paddle & a belt loop attatchment's.
You change them with 3 screw's. You can also change the angle of carry with the same screw's:cool:

CajunBass

I've got an XD plastic paddle/polymer holster for my XD-9. It says "Made in Israel" on it, so I would guess it's made by Fobus, although it seems to be made out of a heavier/thicker plastic/polymer than a Fobus I have for my Makarov. I havn't used the XD a lot, but I have seen no wear on the gun at all. The Mak gets carried a lot, and likewise, I see no wear on it. They both have groves for the sights to ride in.

Dfariswheel

Here's the "skinny" on holsters in general, and plastic/synthetics.

The major difference between a "plastic" and a Kydex holster are, plastic holsters are usually made of nylon and are actually molded, mostly in one, seamless piece like most plastic objects are.

Kydex is a harder plastic from which holsters are made from flat sheets, much like leather holsters are.
The Kydex is cut out, bent to shape, usually riveted together along the seam, then heated and formed to fit.

As for gun wear, ALL holsters, no matter what they're made of will wear the finish.

The best liner for holsters is another, thinner piece of the same cowhide or horsehide that the rest is made from, smooth side out.

The WORST liners are the suede or soft leathers like deer skin, pig skin, or "orthopedic elk" (which isn't made from elk skin).

The softer, or sueded finishes collect dirt and grit, and literally turn into abrasive bags for the gun.

ALL holsters cause wear on the gun finish. What causes the wear is contact and friction between the gun and the holster.
The softer the liner, the more contact it makes, and the larger the area worn.

In reality, the best holsters for reduced finish wear are GOOD Kydex holsters.
These cause FASTER wear of the finish in contact areas than leather, but the wear is confined to a smaller area, and is self-limiting to those areas.
The finish will quickly be worn in contact areas, but it won't spread to other areas.

Since the plastic is much stiffer than leather, and STAYS that way, it doesn't form to the gun like leather does, so it doesn't make more and more contact as does leather when it softens with use.

A good leather holster is just about as hard as plastic, and the gun "clicks" into place. As the holster is used, it gets softer, and the leather form fits to the gun, wearing the finish.

Bottom line: All holsters will wear the finish on a gun, starting with the very first time it's inserted into the holster.

The best leather holster is either unlined at all, with a smooth finished inside, or it's lined with the same leather as the outside, with the smooth, grain side, facing the gun.

Kydex causes faster wear in contact areas, but then pretty well stops, and doesn't wear anywhere else.

The best thing you can do for finish wear is to clean the inside of the holster with a cloth and toothbrush.
Don't put ANYTHING on a leather holster, inside OR out, except a coat of neutral shoe polish on the outside.

Using any oils or dressings on a holster cause it to soften, which causes it to form to the gun more and accelerates finish wear.

Last, recognize when the holster is worn out, and retire it.
HOW a holster looks is not an indication of whether it's past it's service life.

A holster is worn out when it no longer retains the gun tightly enough to prevent the gun from moving and shifting in the holster.
Contact and friction wear gun finishes, and a used-up holster that allows the gun to move around in the holster is virtually sandpapering the gun's finish.

A worn-out holster can LOOK brand new.
It's FIT that determines service life.

Alot of people rip on fobus because thye're cheap and look it. I use one for my glock 17 and the only wear i get is a little on the muzzle corners from my clothes. The parts of the gun in the holster dont have any wear at all. I dont like woven holsters (unlce mikes, some safriland) because they have a "sandpaper" effect on the finish. I have a colt trooper MKIII that was carried in uncle mikes and all the corner finish is worn off after only a few years of casual carry by the previous owner.

SW