One Problem, One Question

jason75979

Bought Pro mags for my Dpms ar(standard 16" carbine) and they tend to jam...Have to use my forward assist to finish chambering. Did it once and realized something wasn't right. Anybody else have this problem? Second, getting ready to buy cleaning equip. and wanted to know if anybody could tell me if the new otis coated wire rope was better than a conventional solid push rod style. Want to know befor i spend 40 Dollars for three or four different rods versus one cleaning kit. Any help is greatly appreciated. BTW done a lot of research on name brands on solid rods and kinda know what I want..But the new Otis has nothing but great reviews.

DnPRK

Upgrade your equipment. Don't get sucked in by cheap price or gimmicks.

Pro mag is crap. Get USGI or Magpul.

Forget the Otis and get a real one-piece cleaning rod (Dewey or Tipton).

teeroux

I've gotten good mags from Promag but never for the AR-15 in that rifle they are crap. Most other folks I know that have tried the Promag AR mags think they are crap too.

tirod

The magazines I bought for my Glock 19 were crap, too. Pro Mag.

As for cleaning equipment for the AR, I'd go slow about needing a rod of any kind. Carbine professionals don't bother cleaning their class rifles for thousands of rounds, they still function, and they basically get a wipedown.

Check the maintenance stickies on the AR on various forums. It's pretty enlightening, as it was for me. 22 years Army Reserves, and been doing it WRONG all that time. The command climate ignores Ordnance recommendations, overcleans the weapons to the point of removing the finish on parts, and worries more about inspections than function.

Don't get sucked into the mythology about cleaning AR's. Just run them wet with a good lube.

uncyboo

One Problem, One Question

Bought Pro mags for my Dpms ar(standard 16" carbine) and they tend to jam...Have to use my forward assist to finish chambering. Did it once and realized something wasn't right. Anybody else have this problem?

Second, getting ready to buy cleaning equip. and wanted to know if anybody could tell me if the new otis coated wire rope was better than a conventional solid push rod style.

Hey, that's 2 questions....kinda....:D

Tucker 1371

Pro mag is crap. Get USGI or Magpul.

Pro Mags make my AK jam, only mags it doesn't work with in fact. +1, Pro Mags are crap. Magpul PMAGs are cheaper than most mags and about the best you can buy. Get them.

I have had 0 luck with Pro mag products. I would use them for range plinking if I had any dedicated range plinking items, but not for SD, hunting, or competition.
Magpull is well worth your investment IMO.

I have the otis deluxe system.
It is just as easy and does a better job than my boresnakes.
I often clean only with the Otis system and I am happy with the results.
If you want to get something REALLY clean(totally clean patch, scrub out every last trace of lead/copper fouling, etc) you are still going to need a rod. Otis does not even have jags which are the only way I can get my guns super clean.

No idea why you need more than one rod though. I have a gunslick carbon fiber one piece rod and it is superb. It wasn't the first rod I bought, but the others are all broken/bent and I would not be surprised at all if it is the last I buy. I paid about half of that listed MSRP when on sale from someplace I was putting in an order from.

Elvishead

Elvishead

Crap?!

To degrade a large company like Pro Mag with no explanation? Your totally out of line, and your statement is crap!

I've gotten good mags from Promag but never for the AR-15 in that rifle they are crap. Most other folks I know that have tried the Promag AR mags think they are crap too.

The magazines I bought for my Glock 19 were crap, too. Pro Mag.

Pro Mags make my AK jam, only mags it doesn't work with in fact. +1, Pro Mags are crap.

I have had 0 luck with Pro mag products. I would use them for range plinking if I had any dedicated range plinking items, but not for SD, hunting, or competition.

You see, that's some validity I can sink my teeth into!

Actually, I bought some Pro Mags for my Beretta Bobcat 21a 22lr because the factory one were on back order. They Don't like to stay in my gun, so I did have bad luck with them too.

Last edited: