One Piece at a Time

lamarw

I am sure some of you remember the old Johnny Cash song about the auto plant fella who stole part by part and built his own car at home.

I was looking throught the Midway USA Master Catalog this morning and saw the fully exploded view of an 1911 with a reference as to what page you could find each part in the catalog.

It appears from a qlance it would be a rather expensive proposition to order each piece and attempt to assembly a complete gun.

So, my mind starting wondering if anyone had ever attempted such a folly? I could not even imagine taking the time to add up each piece out of the catalog to see what the total cost without shipping would run you.

The next question - would you then end up with a complete gun without a serial number?

All of the above is just meant as a fun to discuss mind trip. :)

Kodyo

I used to know a fellow who built his own 1911s. You don't need to be an FFL to get all the parts EXCEPT the frame, which is classified as a handgun (I believe this is correct). Since this is the case, the frame (and hence the serial number) will still be recorded.
Not sure how much it cost him to make them, just know he did it as a hobby.

BigJimP

No, I've never done it .../ never had to urge to build my own 1911 ....but it takes some talent to be able to properly fit those parts into the frame....they aren't all "drop in parts" ...

I've never added up all the parts and cost ...but I'm sure it would be more than the same gun, with the same components would cost, from a reputable mfg...

vyse.04

I could not even imagine taking the time to add up each piece out of the catalog to see what the total cost without shipping would run you.

I can't imagine it either, which is why I have/will never attempt to. With all the 1911s on the market now (not to mention custom built), you HAVE to be able to find something that fits your needs... And if you can't, go with a different platform. I know there are people who build them as a hobby, and more power to them.

Kreyzhorse

The next question - would you then end up with a complete gun without a serial number?

No. If you look, you can't buy a frame unless you are a FFL. At that point, if you buy a frame, you have now bought a "gun" with a serial number.

None the less, it would be cool to build your own custom 1911.

Yung.gunr

That is a very cool idea. I had actually thought of the same thing looking through a Brownells catalog a couple years ago. That does sound lime something that would be fun/interesting to do. My only problem is that I am lacking in a few areas to make it a reality. Namely, knowhow, funding and most importantly patience.
Maybe some day when I am old and decapitated as my brother says (decrepit).

lamarw

Well, I am old and decapitated/decrepit (as you so aptly put it), ;) but I am not insane. This would be too costly to be worth the effort.

I will continue to disasemble and reasemble antique clock movements as my "hair-pulling-out" hobby. Thus, I don't need this challenge.

I do respect those with the grit to build their own guns from scratch. I am sure it is most satisfying (at the end - if it shoots). :)

My effort would probably resemble the car Johnny Cash described and then backfire and blow my own head completely off my shoulders. :eek:

Madball6

been contemplating doing this for awhile now actually. For the record my day job is as a machinist working on US nuclear ballistic missile submarines and i believe I have the metal working skills required. I'm also partially afraid i'd build the gun so tight It would run like crap. But the idea of having a gun that I personally picked out and hand fit from start to finish is slowly pushing me in the direction of making the plunge. As carefully as i work and as anal as I am about craftmanship it'd probably take 3 years to build though.

Splitear_Leland

That is a cool idea, but I've heard if you do this and have a problem that you can't fix, the customer service from the manufacturer is pretty much useless :)

Jim Watson

I could not even imagine taking the time to add up each piece out of the catalog to see what the total cost without shipping would run you.

Why not? I have done it several times to scope out new gun projects. (I don't build them myself but my FLG lets me look over his shoulder.)

The last time I looked closely at it (about two years ago) a set of name brand parts like Caspian slide and receiver, Kart barrel, and good quality internals would have cost at least $1100 with everything but the receiver at wholesale prices. Of course you can get cheaper stuff than that from places like Sarco.

Eghad

I remeber a thread in this forum where a guy held a class on building a 1911 where you bought the kit and he provided the expertise in assembling a 1911.

velocette

About 20 years ago, I built a 1911 target pistol for use in service pistol competition (Ball gun) I used a Caspian frame & slide & had Caspian fit the slide to the frame. The frame & slide then went to Bar-Sto & Irv Stone fitted the barrel to the frame / slide. Those two operations were the most critical and having those folks do that work, was not only expeditious but assured a good job. The balance of the pistol was built from parts selected for quality or taken from bits & pieces I had or mooched from friends. For example, Hammer & sear were "drop in" from Austin Behlert, springs from Wolff, Bo-Mar sights, etc.
The result is a pistol that now 20 years later, still shoots less than 2" at 50 yds. Worth the effort? You bet! Net cost? less than buying a complete pistol and then customizing it to bring it up to match grade performance.
(I mean real match grade performance, not just having it stamped on a part of the gun and calling it match grade.) And FAR less than paying a top level smith build the gun.

Roger

firearms41410004.jpg

Smaug

Nah.

It seems like a fun idea, but there are some drawbacks:

• The frame is the gun, legally, so you'd have to go through an FFL or have a donor frame.
  • All the parts won't work together properly without some professional hand-fitting, I bet.
  • Cost

You should probably plan on buying a bare bones 1911 with the frame and slide you like, then just replace the parts you don't like or think could be improved. Trigger, sights, and grips would be about all I'd change from a stock 1911.

Hunter Customs

The last time I looked closely at it (about two years ago) a set of name brand parts like Caspian slide and receiver, Kart barrel, and good quality internals would have cost at least $1100 with everything but the receiver at wholesale prices. Of course you can get cheaper stuff than that from places like Sarco.

Jim is right there in the ball park. I just figured all the parts to build a top of the line 1911 and dealer cost is $1165.31.
The parts list included two mags for the gun and all the parts were top shelf parts. Some of the parts to be used, Kart barrel, Chen mag well system, Les Baer forged frame, bar stock slide, and a Grieder forged slide stop.

The gun can actually be built for a little less if the chen mag well system was not used and a Caspian frame was used instead of the Les Baer frame.

Makes one wonder how some can charge $4000.00 or better for a plain Jane custom 1911.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com