One More Time

rcksil

What I have been reading in all the postings is that for OAL and Seating is do not go past the maximum OAL. If I also read this correct I can seat my 45acp 200 grain LSWC the same that I seat my 45acp 185 grain LSWC , which is 1.250. The manuals and online sites show 2 different lengths for these weights of bullets. :confused:

The Lee manual has 200gr lead bullet with W231 powder shows MIN. OAL of 1.190 and the 180gr lead has the same 1.190.

The Lyman shows the 200gr SWC having an OAL of 1.161, limited reloading info on others. :eek:

If I seat the bullet to 1.160 the base of the step is below the rim of the brass. Is this normal or am I reading too much into it. I think I will also get another manual! I am currently reloading 45acp and 40 S&W. I plan on going to .38/357next. I am using W231 powder and trying Titegroup. Could anyone recommend another manual and yes I have the " ABC's of Reloading". :D
Any help would be appreciated...
Thanks

dodgestdshift

Different bullets of the same weight can have shapes that require different overall lengths. In 45 ACP the important thing in determining the proper bullet length, is reliability of feeding. If the cartridge consistantly feeds the length is ok. I think the 1.16 setting is probably too short for your bullet.

Here is what I have done to save work and range time. Strip your gun and remove the barrel. This will be used as a guage. Make up a dummy round of the length you intend to try (Speer gives their 200 gr. semi wadcutter at 1.185) with no primer, or powder. You will have to size, bell and crimp this dummy to test the length. Drop the dummy cartridge into the chamber of the barrel. It should drop into the chamber, with the base of the cartridge even with the hood extension of the barrel by means of gravity only (ok maybe a VERY SMALL push). If it doesn't go in all the way, shorten the dummy until it does. When this length is determined measure it and write it down. Now load some cartridges completely at this length, and try them at the range. I would say that these should feed perfectly. I have never seen this method fail.

Another suggestion, when you have tested this length by firing them and you intend to use this length as the standard FOR THIS BULLET in this gun grab your caliper and measure the length of the seating die from the mouth of the die to the top of the seater stem. Write this length down with the bullet and the other info for this load, and you will always be able to reset the die quickly for that bullet length for that bullet. I have never used dummy cartridges to set dies, I have difficulty "feeling" the correct setting on the die.

WESHOOT2

in your gun

Never load more than twenty rds of a new setup UNTIL you've confirmed BY SHOOTING THEM that they actually work........

Manuals are guides only.

HSMITH

I shoot my 200 SWC at 1.250 OAL, and have no problems at all.

A quick trick? Put a round of ball ammo on your press, run the ram all the way up and with the seater stem backed way out turn the die in until it firmly contacts the case. Lower the ram a little and give the die 1/8th of a turn down and raise the ram again. Now turn the seater stem down until it firmly touches the bullet.

You have just made the high points of the SWC load the same as the ball ammo, and if the gun is fitted decently it will cycle the ammo just fine. You have also made the crimp as tight as it needs to be. Load your SWC with this die setting and you should be in good shape.

918v

I load SWC so that 1/16" of the bullet shank sticks out past the case mouth. If the bullet shanks sits below the case mouth, you'll get feeding malfunctions.

Harley Quinn

918v

Very quick and to the point.

The others are good also, you need to be crimping on the full width of the bullet not on the conical portion.
Make sure the conical portion is protruding as is being said 1/16 beyond
the shoulder of the total width of your bullet.

It needs to be able to feed into the snout (feeding ramp) and still not have the case present a problem feeding (as in very small sharp edge of case hitting ) but 1/16th is a good way to go. Or 3/32nds LOL

If your bullets are different than what you are reading in the loading manual you will have to experiment. I would not load up more then 5 at a time.

Make sure your case is the exact (right) length, they grow and create problems, especially in your hotter loads. They use the mouth of the case to headspace. Critical

Harley

rcksil

Good Info

Wow. thanks for all the info. On the crimp I use the Lee factory crimp die so I hope I am ok on it. I crimp it 1/2 a turn. I have been having problems with the 230 g rn not fully seating in the breech(sp) so I have stopped using them and they really tear up the targets. The 200 gr rn and swc's are ok for me, seat to 1.245-1.250. Still playing with the powder, using Titegroup and W231 both to 4.6g, Like I said still learning each load, heck even my 18 year old son gets into it. Thanks again for all the input!

LAH

Never load more than twenty rds of a new setup UNTIL you've confirmed BY SHOOTING THEM that they actually work........

This is great advice from Mars. HEE HEE

I load the H&G 68 bullet at 1.265. Works great in the 1911's that have come through my shop. Just my 2.

WESHOOT2

Mars response

I have has some trouble in Springfields with that length; have since reduced OAL to the 1.245--1.257" range (based on specific gun) with the #68.