One more Dillon 550 question

labgrade

Member In Memoriam
Got it, set it up (directions could have been a bit better - but no biggies) & loaded some 9MM. Very pleased.

Question is any easy(ier) way to empty the powder hopper? Only thing I could see was to unscrew the 2X collet screws (at the top of the powder die) & pull the whole top off.

Am I missing something?

Steve Smith

The otehr way is for the powder to come out the bottom...5 grains or so at a time...

Sorry, I couldn't help being a smart a$$!

capbuster

This may not be the best way but this works for me. Remove the block that holds your dies and powder measure and using it as a handle invert the powder measure over the funnel setting in the mouth of your powder can and dump away.You will have to rotate the measure and try again to get the powder that is trapped under the baffle in the measure.Now you can return it to the press or do as I do and start cleaning and lubricating your dies in the block. I hope this helps.-Cliff

C.R.Sam

If you put it back in a factory can, PLEASE triple check to make sure the right powder is going into the right can.

Sam....just checkin.

labgrade

Member In Memoriam
Now Sam, that's just plain silly. Of course I would only have one container of powder available on the bench at any one time and of course, I did dump a powder measure full of Brand X into Brand Y. Just like an AD, it's merely a matter of time .... those who have & those who will. ... "Contaminated" close to a pound of H380 just that way ... :(

Good to review every safety aspect from time to time.

capbuster, if I read you correctly, that works very well indeed. Remove 2X pins, slide out the powder rod & viola! Much easier than dinkin' around with the screws & no tools need apply.

Thanks, folks.

labgrade

Member In Memoriam
OK, so I lied - another question.

Stopped loading (ran out of brass - sucks when it's all loaded ;) ) & I've a few primers left in the tube. Will pulling out that tube bring with it all the primers? Seems like it's gotta have a full open hole at the bottom & all the primers will then be left in the do-hicky ....

capbuster

Interesting question. I usually count out 100 pcs of brass for every 100 primers I put in the tube and let it rip. I had to go to the basement and look at old blue boy to think about this one. I believe the easiest route would be to just work the extra primers through the system and pick them out with your fingers when they protrude through the shellplate. I am lazy and try not to disassemble anything I dont have too. Take care.

labgrade

Member In Memoriam
Think I'll let this go another day or so before I call Dillon - just to see if anybody's got some (other) ideas.

If runnin' primers through the system is the "best" way to get 'em out, I can see that this aspect is in dire need of a "fix."

parachuterigger

What I have found works best is to remove the two allen screws which hold the priming system in place. You can then remove the primer tube and turn it upside down to empty it. You also can clean the primer slide and its flat bearing. They get pretty dirty. I tried unscrewing the top of the primer tube and pulling it out of the shield--once. Most of the primers will fall into the shield and then you will have to remove the priming system anyway. It really doesn't take much time to do this. I have found that you will also need to take the follower rod and use it to push out the last primer as it will be seated in the priming magazine lips.

parachuterigger

P.S.

I also remove the failsafe rod and the two pins holding the toolhead in place to empty the powder measure as mentioned above. This only takes a second and is relatively easy.

Cal4D4

Left over primers

The Hornady LnL progressive has a simple off switch for the primer stack. Its just a slider that half blocks the tube. Maybe Dillon might look into this.

labgrade

Member In Memoriam
OK, so I'll have lots more questions re the D 550 ...

For calibers of same case head size (.243, .308, .30-06, etc.) I'd assume that for caliber changes you'd only need one shellplate but you would need different powder funnels .... true? Too, for say, .308 & .30-06, you can just adjust the height of the powder die & use same shellplate & powder funnel?

Say it be so - it'll save me some $$$

labgrade

Member In Memoriam
So - I'm bummin'. I ask pertinent questions & youse guys aren't comin' through ... (sniff) ;)

Called Dillon for a clarification on my last query ... assumptions were correct (yip).

FYI