One long gun, what should I get?

Ichiro

After two years of shooting handguns, I'm thinking my next gun should be a long gun. I don't hunt, and probably won't start at the age of 37 and living in a city, with no friends who hunt. If any of my friends actually shoot guns, it's because I showed them how, sad to say.

I want a long gun to expand my education and experience with guns in general, and I'm interested in home defense, bug-out scenarios, and all of that stuff.

I'm torn between a lever-action .357 carbine and a Remington Police 12-gauge shotgun. Both guns are on the "short" side of long-gun, which is what I want. A gun that is handy, but way more powerful than our .357 revolvers and 9mm semiauto.

I recently started reloading for .38 special, and soon will reload for .357 magnum, so the carbine seems a natural fit. On the other hand, a 12-gauge has its own authority that I should become familiar with.

Picking one, what would you get? (I know, get both).

eldon519

Between the two, I'd pick the .357. I tend to get bored with a shotgun at a range unless it's some sort of clay shooting. I'd also recommend a 16" AR-15. They have low recoil, are typically very accurate, and aren't too expensive to shoot. I'm not really into the SHTF scenario preparation, but if you're concerned about it, the AR-15 is great for it. They're also pretty good for home defense though overpenetration with any rifle, handgun or rifle caliber, is still a concern in the city.

natjohnb

Living in a city I would go with the shotgun. You have the option of buckshot, birdshot(minimal penetration) or slugs. With a really good slug you can get good accuracy beyond 100 yards. Nothing wrong with the lever action (would'nt be bad having both) but I thing the 12ga. would give you more options for whatever situation you may encounter.

garryc

Since SD was not your primary concern I'd vote for the rifle. Check out the 92's offered by navy arms

bbqbob51

I like my .357 mag Winchester 94 trapper model. The short 16" barrel is handy and you can shoot .38 spl through it for less expensive target practice. I also have a Stoeger 20 ga. double barrel coach gun which I like. Go ahead and get both.

skeeter1

Well, I have both. A Marlin 1894C in .357 Magnum and a couple of 12-gauge shotties. As much as I like the Marlin, I'd rather have one of the shotguns loaded with #4 buckshot. That's probably (IMHO) the best place to start.

timothy75

The shotgun will have more stopping power if your serious about home defense but like mentioned their not much fun to practice with and thats about their only other application besides deadly force itself. The carbine will be a lot more fun in the outdoors but living in the city either will give you much use. I would suggest another handgun, maybe a backup gun, revolver or target .22 you can use at the range frequently. Otherwise you can get a quality Mossberg for under 200$ that will serve you well for home defense. Good luck and let us know what you choose.

spyderdude

I strongly recommend a good pump shotgun. The two biggest ones are the Remington 870 and Mossberg 500. Both have tons of aftermarket accessories, and both will serve you well. Let us know what you decide on. :)

stevelyn

Another vote for the shotgun. Makes for a formidable home defensive weapon and activities like sporting clays, trap, and skeet are exciting and enjoyable shooting games that help you become more proficient.

moredes

I vote for the shotgun. Dunno if the "Remington Police" you're considering is the 870 or the 1100, but in either case, you can buy a second barrel for it and take out for clays. It's a whole 'nother test to shoot at something moving, and shotgunning is a great primer for that.

With my trap and skeet experience, converting those talents to "IPSC"-type moving target resolution was no big deal. I could give a couple of fairly well-known competitors a run for the money on that stage with 'no practice'. For them it was a new experience and separate talent (it's the only stage when it wasn't obvious that I was gonna bring up the rear at each stage.)

Lastly, as someone has already mentioned, your choice of load spans the range from slugs to 00 to #9's, so if you're serious about home defense, it'd serve you well.

Capt. Charlie

Moderator Emeritus
This would be more appropriate for our Rifles forum. It would also be appropriate for Shotguns. Since we can't put it in both, it's off to General.

Ichiro

Thanks for all of the interesting replies. Looks like the 12-gauge votes are outnumbering the carbine votes.

One point among many that was duly noted -- living in the city, I may not get a whole lot of practice with either to justify a long gun just for the "fun" aspect. And it sounds like practicing with a 12-gauge may not be that much fun anyway unless you're shooting clay.

I'm thinking that an inexpensive 12-gauge pump may be the way to go for home defense. I'm also thinking that if I want another gun just for fun, I should look into getting a handgun I don't already have -- like one of those long-slide target semiautos or an 8" .357.

M14fan

Trapper

I am a big fan of lever actions. I have a model 94 Winchester Trapper with the large loop in .44 mag. I would not feel inadequately armed for home defense were it my only long arm.

kirkcdl

Of the 2 you mentioned,I think I'd get the lever gun,but I'm not a big shotgun fan anyway.

However,I am very surprised that nobody has mentioned an AK.To eliminate future ammo availability concerns I think I'd get one in .223,but you won't find more fun for the money in a long gun...:D

Someoldguy

12 gauge

For my $$, I would think that the 12 gauge shotgun would be more versatile. I would question whether the .357 Magnum would be able to do more in a carbine than it would do in a handgun. But I could be mistaken.

ksstargazer

I didn't start hunting until I was 40. Shooting at targets from a benchrest doesn't do much to prepare you for hunting. If you really want to get skilled in using a rifle or shotgun, there is no better way than by hunting. The .357 lever action carbine sounds like a fun rifle. That would be my choice.

savage17

Not sure what kind of shooting you like to do but many small bore rifles are fun. If you are looking mainly for "home defense" I would go with the shotgun.

Slideman

Pump shotgun: Mossberg, Remington, Winchester, Ithica

Easier to find a place to shoot/practice ... by comparison, rifle bullets travel forever

Better home defense in real world, particularly in urban environs.

More intimidation factor - less likely to have to shoot to stop bad scene.

Huge stopping power if trigger does need to be pulled... little chance of overpenetration through walls or across the street.

Plenty of low-recoil 12-gauge ammo available at "always-low" prices.

A pump shotgun is a part of every complete armory and nice compliment to a wide range of long guns, handguns or specialty collections.

*FUN*TO*SHOOT*
Spread some clays on a pistol impact berm..
boom-shucka-boom-shucka-boom-shucka-boom-shucka-boom-shucka-boom-shucka-boom-shucka-boom-grin-grin-grin-grin

Get 20 gauge for shooters under 125 lbs or recoil sensitive.

My Mossberg 590 Special Purpose is the funnest gun I have to shoot - and has all the advantages mentioned above.