One gun or two for CC?

BlueTrain

I don't mean carrying two guns at once. But I already have an idea from other posts what some people think.

My question is, it is better to carry a single handgun as your self defense weapon all the time (all the time you carry one, that is) or better to have a big one and another, smaller one for the times your "full sized" one is too big. Or, do you have a half dozen you pick from.

Any solution is a compromise. But my question is not for policemen, who usually have their own set of rules to follow that others don't have to worry about.

I was doing some research and realised that very little was written by the older authors about the subject. Apparently none of them considered the subject of a private individual carring a concealed weapon. Elmer Keith was apparently only addressing the need of plainclothes policemen when he addressed the subject but he clearly advocated one gun only. Of course he also advocated that it be a 4" model 29 or, for those with weak hands, a combat magnum (model 19).

But if it has to be concealed, and it absolutely has to be if you aren't a policeman, then considerable compromise might be called for, at least if you think a Glock model 19 or the same in other calibers is a compromise. At any rate, I tend to go with the one gun all the time approach, even if my list of possibilities is longer (shall we say, goes lower?) than others.

It isn't my intent to bring up caliber or action type selections but rather if one is better or one of two is better.

And if two (a big one and a little one), should they be of identical action types, like a Colt .45 ACP government model and a Colt government .380.

Also, I was wondering if concealed carriers carry additional ammunition and if so, how?

gb_in_ga

First: I am not a LEO.

While I only have 1 CCW at this time (Bersa .380), I see the merit in having an extra small one available for those times when you just can't adequately hide your "primary". I've been looking around for just such a weapon, one better suited for pocket carry. Since money is tight, it looks like it will end up being one of those little Kel-Tecs, I haven't decided between .32 and .380.

And yes, I usually do carry an extra magazine for my Bersa .380, normally in my right front pants pocket.

About both being of the same "type": Hmm -- I hadn't really considered that. I know that many people don't bother with it -- for instance there are those who carry an autoloader of whatever kind and have a snubby as backup. I've been considering a small DAO autoloader of some sort just because of concealability and the lack of external hammer to prevent snags. But anyway, I can see where if one were to train with a "cocked and locked" primary, it would be a good thing to have the secondary be of the same configuration. Likewise, if one were to train with a revolver as a primary, there is much to be said for having the secondary be a snubby or a safety-less DAO autoloader, just to keep the shooter from forgetting to disengage the safety on the draw.

BlueTrain

I probably should have elaborated more on my hypothetical situation. In fact, my hypothetical situation is pretty much that of an off-duty policeman. I specifically ecluded a policemen because his firearms are regulated by department regulations, usually, and his choices would be therefore limited. But I should have also pointed out that defence against dangerous animals is not part of the senario. About the only place I go for woods loafing is a national park and any weapong is therefore prohibited. But I have seen bears there but no lions so far.

In a way, whatever is chosen is not really a primary weapon to begin with but exclusively a back-up, if you follow my reasoning, at least compared with policemen (there I go again).

Although cost is always a consideration, I didn't want to introduce too many particulars to the problem like cost or dress habits, etc.

Upon reflection, concerning the action type if there are two alternatives for the CCW (large and small), the difference is probably not that important if the individual is already using on a regular or frequent basis a variety of handguns but other factors enter into the equation.

I have a number of guns that I CCW, depending on a number of factors.

From smallest to largest:

Taurus PT-22
Smith & Wesson 042
S&W 19 2.5"
HK P7PSP
S&W 19 4"
S&W 28 4"
S&W 58 4"

I like to keep it simple. Two guns that I can shoot really well. Smaller one for hot summer days.

pax

One small gun for me (Glock 26). I've shot it a lot and even though I've also shot a lot of other guns, the G26 is what my hand expects to find on my belt when I reach for a gun.

If it works in the summer, why would I change for the winter?

pax

You can buy guns, but you cannot buy marksmanship. – Col. Jeff Cooper

jem375

...my main carry guns for summer are a CZ PO1 and G26.....winter I use a Springfield Ultra Compact 45ACP and a Witness compact in 10MM....

kirkcdl

Following Mikes lead I have a few that are concealable,what I carry is largely dependent upon my mood,although sometimes the embarassment factor cpmes in,such as at a local outdoor concert,danger level is low with a lot of LEO presence,so a smaller gun will work.My carryable guns in order from smallest to largest:

Kel Tec P3AT .380
AMT Backup .380
Makarov 9X18
Kahr K40 40S&W
Para Ordnance Para Carry 45
Taurus PT745
Glock 36 45
Steyr S40 40S&W
Taurus 24/7 45
Steyr M357 .357Sig
HK USP Fullsize 45

I also own a Taurus 605 357 revolver I carry once in a great while just because.My current rotation is the Para Carry,the K40,and the PT745...

Hans

I found out this summer that on some days, when the temperature was really hot, my Sig P228 was just a bit too much to carry. No problems concealing it, it was just heavier than I wanted it to be. So now I am looking into something else, probably a Mak or Bersa .380 for summer carry, and I can switch between my Sig and Springer for winter. I don't think it is too difficult to switch between them, as long as you familiarize yourself with both.

By the way, where is the best place to buy a Bulgarian Mak online? I'm having trouble finding anything.