One for the .17HMR crowd

RimfireChris

I've been contemplating getting a rifle in this caliber, but I honestly don't know anything about it, and non of my friends have one. What do folks who regurlaly shoot them think? Does the accuracy live up to the hype? Do they actually perform well on small game? And finally, why no semi-auto rifles? With the pointed tip the round looks it'd feed really well, but I've never seen one in this chambering. Thanks

TRguy

The Recall was on the Remington's 597 platform in 17HMR. No other semi maker was affected.

17HMR in bolt is an accurate (though wind susceptible) round

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
The HMR is incredibly accurate out to about 200 yards. I don't think it's particularly susceptible to wind out to that distance, unless you're hunting the prairie states and have 25mph winds on a regular basis. Where I've hunted with it, where winds are typically under 10mph and quite variable, there are no problems.

The HMR is a great round. If I wanted something less powerful than a centerfire rifle the HMR would be my pick, no question.

RimfireChris

Thanks, this is great!:) something I forgot to ask earlier, what is this .17TNT I hear about? Is it the same round, different bullet? I've only seen one pic but it looks shorter, is it interchangeable, like a .22 short in a .22lr gun?

Thanks, this is great! something I forgot to ask earlier, what is this .17TNT I hear about? Is it the same round, different bullet? I've only seen one pic but it looks shorter, is it interchangeable, like a .22 short in a .22lr gun?

17 Mach 2... Not interchangable...

beerengineer

savage 93R17 BTVS is the ticket

I really love my savage hmr. 93R17 BTVS. It is quite possibility the most accurate rifle I own. (at 100 yds). Here is a link to the savage website. http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/ Its the with a wood laminate thumbhole stock. Pretty pretty pretty. Plus about $10.00 for a box of 50. One last thing... I was shocked at what it did to squirrels at over 100 yards. :eek:

RimfireChris

wow, that IS a nice un!:D So I'm gathering I should with the .17HMR and not the Mach 2 then. must be a reason I've heard so little about it. Now to convince the wife <puts in ear plugs>;)

wingman

Like all rim fires they are particular to one brand or gr ammo, I have the Savage 17-93BTV, when first purchased I used 17gr it would shoot about 1.75 to 2.25 at 100 yards I purchased some 20 gr and groups improved down to 1.50 to 1.70, I returned to Savage and upon return suggested I use Hornady 20gr it now shoots .700-1.00 average, I do not know what other points savage tweaked but it was improved.

It "is" very wind sensitive anything over 10mph it becomes a matter of how you can judge wind, all in all I do not consider it a great target caliber and I have never hunted with it, normally I use it at the range to give my Savage model 12 223 BTVS a break during shooting sessions,the model 12 223 will shoot under .500 with my reloads.

I have mixed feeling on the 17hmr, personally I think the ammo is over priced I pay normally $10.99-12.99 for 50, I think for hunting prairie dogs or groundhogs in a non-windy area would be fun but don' expect it to be the miracle caliber so many want it to be plus it may be limited to 150 yards for consistent clean kills.It fills a niche between the 22 LR and 223 the noise level is low which would help in more congested areas. IMO in time it will drop in popularity as the 22 mag has.

abarhorst

While the 17 is susceptible to wind, it's better then a 22 LR or WMR.

On a reasonably calm day it kind of like shooting a laser, at least for 100 yards.

flight954

Great little round and a hoot to shoot. I had a Magnum Research semi-auto and sent it back and got my money back when the 17HMR semi auto fear was on the market. I got a Savage bolt rifle in 17HMR and love it. I'm sending the barrel out to Tornado Tech for threading so I can use my Tac Sol Casscade can on it.

Irish80prf

I think the .17 TNT you are talking about doesn't have anything to do with it being a hmr or mach 2. TNT is a hollow point made by CCI. Most of the bullets used in the .17 are ballistic tips. I personally don't think the hollow points shot as well out of my gun, but each gun is different. Yeah it is a fun round to shoot and it can be really accurate as long as it's not really windy. Oh and if you want to make sure you get an accurate one go with a Savage.:)

slab11

if you like shooting .22s, you have got to get a 17hmr. it is so much fun. On targets that you can hit consistently at 50 yards with a 22, you can hit at 125+ with a 17. you can blow stuff up with the 17 that a 22 will not even penetrate. you can shoot 1"-1.5" groups (5 shots) with it at 100yards, even the cheap ones.

cbrabham

I also have a Savage 93R17 BTVS. Everybody in the family loves to shoot it. Once I shot a crow that was up in a tree, and he came down in two pieces.

It's a great shooter, very accurate and easy to use. It does a good job on varmints around the farm, doesn't make a lot of noise, and is less prone to ricochet than a 22.

The scope in the picture is a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 with the BDC reticule. It works well with this rifle, and was not prohibitively expensive.

Dust

Chris, the 17hm2 is about 80% of what the hmr is, at about 40-50% of the price. It will not shoot as far as the HMR, but then again, it is cheaper to shoot than reloaded .223. There are semis that shoot them fine, and there is even an Ar-15 upper or two that shoot them. If you want to shoot birds at 200 yards, go with the HMR, if you want to shoot them at 100-150 for half the price, the HM2 might be the answer.

LanceOregon

The best rimfire rifle on the market is easily the rifles made by CZ. They are manufactured in Uhersky Brod, in the Czech Republic. They have outstanding varmint versions of both their 452 and 453 models with super accurate heavy 21 inch barrels.

If you have the coin to spend some serious money, get one of the CZ models. Now an American made Cooper or a German made Anschutz might be a bit better yet, but both are extremely expensive rifles.

Otherwise, if you want something real affordable, go with a an American made Marlin, or a Savage ( which is made in Canada ). An American made Ruger 77/17 is yet another available option. But they cost as much as the CZ rifles now do.

The CZ 453 has the advantage of having the same type of advanced set trigger that the CZ model 527 centerfire rifles use. Otherwise, it is basically identical to the model 452.