One Cartridge!

homefires

If you was limited to one cartridge what would it be?

I choose .22 long rifle! light to carry. Can defend my family. Can feed me!

I am sure this is a rethread! I just would like to here from other , there feelings.

This is a tough question because no one caliber can do it all (as is sometimes implied when folks talk about their preferred caliber). Every caliber is a compromise of something.

I would answer but I know that tomorrow I would rethink what I had said and want to change it, and same for the day after that and the day after that...

So glad to have choices! :)

TheShootist1894

Do shot shells count?

I pick 12 Gauge, if i am allowed that is, with options ranging from super heavyweight sabot slugs to 0000 Buck to #9 Birdshot it seems obvious
Yes or No?

Webleymkv

30-06 Springfield, can be handloaded light enough to take small game and heavy enough to take big bears.

Last edited:

The Tourist

I know this, because I did it.

Obviously, the cartridge would have to be accurate, good on game animals, varmints and human adversaries.

You'd have to be able to easily handload it, find bullets, primers, powders and loading journals anywhere--perhaps anywhere in the world.

It would have to have knock-down power both up close, and at a fair distance. To do so, it would have to shoot flat, and also find its way through a tangle of branches by a careful placement through a good scope.

The bullets would have to have a wide profile, from rapid expansion, to target bullets, out to heavy 'grand slam' style slugs.

And yet, in so doing, the rifle needed for this cartridge would have to be capable of being fired by men, women and children.

It would also be nice if every manufacturer made a style, or styles, of the rifle needed for the various needs and wants of the customer base.

For those reasons, I chose--and choose--the 7mm08.

joshua

I'll take the 223 remington, but the 12 gauge sounds better since I like to add winged game into my family's diet in the event of just that one cartridge scenario comes up. :D josh

FirstFreedom

You didn't limit it to rifle rounds, so 12 gauge is the unequivocal answer - slugs, buckshot, birdshot, it can do it all! Would you like to rephrase the question? :)

jsr76

Good evening. All things considered,including availability of reloading components if you couldn't buy live ammo in a crisis, weight, rounds per pound for reloading and for carrying, accuracy, enough power for whatever comes up.....308 Win.

FirstFreedom

How you guys gonna kill quail, pheasant, dove, ducks, & geese, and provide *reasonable* self-defense power (not too little, not overpenetrating overkill), with .22s, .308s, & .30-'06s?

RedneckFur

I'll go with what i know best. 30-30 winchester. Take any game in America, and easily make medium range shots. Can do long range if you know your stuff. Ammo is fairly cheap, and the recoil is light. Some claim that the lever gun is not accurate, my Marlin 336 will do a .75" group at 100 yards with winchester factory ammo, and it cloverleafs with handloads. Mabey I'm lucky,and got that 1 in 100 rifle. Either way, I love it!

grey_pilgrim

Ya know, i would say it depended on where you lived, and what you liked to do most. As RockyMountainTactical said, there is no "one size fits all" option.

But if you can narrow down some choices, you might be able to have a better selection. The needs of someone who loves to duck hunt will be different than the needs of someone who likes to "ring the gong" at 600 yards, which will be different from someone who enjoys dall sheep hunting in alaska.

For what I would want a gun, living in the east in a place where medium shots aren't out of the question, i'd pick a 308, because it does defense, deer hunting (and im not going to have to lug it anywhere) in a decent package.

I only have one rifle in one cartridge (and it aint 308), but im glad that I know other gun owners who I can mooch off of. :D

Rmstn1580

.22lr all the way. Enough shots can surely mess you up and good for small game :) But for man stopper, I would say 7.62x54r