Once shot case not chambering

seanc

I like to practice cycling the action of my Mosin-Nagant M44. I usually do this with a couple snap caps in the magazine. I didn't have the snap caps handy, so I was going to put a spent steal case back in just to cycle the action. I wasn't able to close the action. I then tried a brass case, assuming the steal case was crap and the spent brass should be an easy fit. It didn't go any easier. The gun and cases were cold and the gun has been cleaned and lubed. It chambers unfired rounds and my snap caps just fine, it just won't close on the spent rounds. Is this normal? Am I wrecking my gun doing this? Can you wreck a chamber by cycling an aluminum snap cap too much? Thanks for any help/advice.

Crankylove

You mean "normal for a MN, just use your mallet", or "normal"?

Normal, as in Normal.

When fired, the cases expand a bit in the chamber, and is why they need to be resized when reloading.

RWBlue01

I don't know about your rifle, but I have never had a problem putting brass from my rifle back in the chamber.

The reason you resize bras is so they will fit ANY gun chambered in the same cartridge.

If you are going for accuracy and reloading, many people neck size their brass.

To the OP, I expect you to have problems feeding the fired brass. I have no idea why you would have problems closing the bolt once in the chamber.

Crankylove

The reason you resize bras is so they will fit ANY gun chambered in the same cartridge

I haven't ever resized my bras.........but my ex had to a few times as weight her changed. ;)

I am not so worried about making my brass fit any gun ever made, more about getting proper neck tension on the bullet..........which I don't get untill I resize it.

Most of my guns will chamber a fired case, but some don't.....tight chambers maybe, or could be gummed up brass too I guess.