Once fired brass

Just a suggestion: Become a member of Cast Boolit's. Many times first fired brass is advertized by its members and sold at reasonable prices to the site membership. Plus many other firearm related items too. Like here. Cast Boolits members are also a bunch of friendly folks also._:)

S/S

smuckie

Thanks guys

You guys are a big help, looking for another 1000 to reload for me and a buddy, sorry to the gentleman who wanted to trade, I somehow lost your message, I don't have a 45 and would like some more 22 lr'd, I did read that KBar cartridge.com are not very reliable, of course you'll get complaints about anything from some people, I will check with Diamond and am going to gun show this weekend to fight the crowds

ScottRiqui

I saw a post the other day where someone had figured out how to look at the completed auctions on that site, and the ending prices he quoted were all in the $6-7 per pound range.

Spats McGee

Administrator
On the price & condition, I've no clue. What I can tell you is that the terms and conditions of sale are somewhere on that site, because I've looked at them before. If I recall correctly (& I make no promises on that), it's "as is," and you have to pick it up. One of the ads I looked at today said something like "GL will tail-gate load." I would not expect the brass to be in the best shape, and a certain percentage will probably only be fit for sending to a scrap metal dealer. That said, I also suspect you'd get enough usable brass that it might be worthwhile, if you had enough reloading buddies with pickup trucks to haul it home. The question then becomes, "How many buddies do I need to split up a ton or two of fired brass?"

Edited to add: Oh, and in answer to that question, I did the math on something like 6,000 lbs of .223 brass one time. Now, it's been a while, so don't hold my feet to the fire on the numbers, but IIRC, I figured out that if I got it all reloaded, I'd have to shoot something like 220 rounds per day, every day, regardless of weather, and live to be ~85 to get through it all.

Spats McGee

Administrator
ScottRiqui said:
I saw a post the other day where someone had figured out how to look at the completed auctions on that site, and the ending prices he quoted were all in the $6-7 per pound range.

Like this? http://www.govliquidation.com/pastbidresults?eventId=8683

On the main page, look for "Past Bid Results" at the bottom of the page. Click it. All of the different categories will pop up. Look for "Demil Q Fired Cartridge Cases." Click it, and viola! :D

ScottRiqui

Found it now, thanks! They sure didn't make it easy, did they?

I'm amazed at the size of some of the lots. 23,000 pounds of 5.56 cases??

ScottRiqui

True.

Looks like there are some bargains in there. Just saw one that was 148 pounds of .40 S&W brass, in five nice-looking metal ammo cans. Ended up going for $270.

Spats McGee

Administrator
Beentown71,
It has crossed my mind, but I don't have that kind of time in my schedule. Really, though, it wouldn't be too hard to draft up a joint venture purchase agreement. The hard parts would be figuring out payments, and transport. If everyone could agree to a maximum purchase amount, escrow the money, etc. . . . It's not like it couldn't be done.

Beentown71

Beentown71,
It has crossed my mind, but I don't have that kind of time in my schedule. Really, though, it wouldn't be too hard to draft up a joint venture purchase agreement. The hard parts would be figuring out payments, and transport. If everyone could agree to a maximum purchase amount, escrow the money, etc. . . . It's not like it couldn't be done.

Yep. I am thinking about bidding on the smaller unit coming up in Columbus, OH. Just doing the numbers to see if it is going to be worth the effort. I can pick it up myself.

@ approx 73 pieces of brass per pound the math should work out but going to check the little things. I am sure this round of bids will be higher than the last auctions.

Spats McGee

Administrator
Maybe we could set up a few purchases by region. I'd have a heck of a time hauling brass down from Ohio, but if I could find some other buyers in Arkansas, Tennessee, Missouri or Oklahoma, that'd be a different ballgame altogether.