On the subject of High Powers:

baddarryl

The earlier thread got me thinking about them, but I don't want to hijack. Here is my dilemma: I have narrowed my choice down to a surplus from someone like CDI which has great reviews. Seems like they have good ones for about $400. Or I have found another source that was recommended that strips, inspects, power blasts all parts, re coats them, re finishes them and thoroughly tests for $600. With shipping and FFL I suppose that works out to $650.00. Do you think that is the better move if all I want is a quality shooter? Thanks.

bn12gg

Plenty of "shooter" grade Hi Powers at gun shows. Why not handle your choice prior to plopping down cash. Also, no shipping fee.

.02. David. :)

Model12Win

You can try and do what I did and be patient and hunt for a while.

I scored a like-new commercial (read: not beat up and barely shot) Mk III for $450 the other day. No, I do not expect you to do as well as I did but the deals are out there. Don't rush.

larryh1108

I'd venture to say that for a shooter (only) the $400 route is fine if you don't care about the looks of it. The $650 sounds nice but that puts you into the used BHP market. I think you can find a gently used BHP for close to the $650 you are willing to spend. Just my opinion of course.

Jim Watson

I guarantee that the work claimed to go into the $600 gun is a strong profit center.
I had rather get the worn gun and check it out myself. If I wanted it refinished, I know a reliable local shop that will do attractive work.

dogtown tom

Just like an 1984 Toyota Tercel with a $10,000 stereo system is still an '84 Tercel..........a $200 gun with $400 worth of polishing, refinishing, inspections and tests is rarely worth $600.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Unless I want a showpiece, I agree with Jim W. I will check the gun out myself. A "cleaning" job like the one described, especially one that includes refinishing, can be a cover for a multitude of bad things.

Jim

Model12Win

I myself to not buy "refinished" guns, unless:

A: It was done by the factory.
B: It was done at a military arsenal and is a part of it's history.

When I went Hi-Power hunting, I certainly did not want a bubba gun shop refinish job. Yes I understand completely that some outfits might well do a good job at it, but I'd rather have an original if worn gun. The Browning Hi-Power is a historic gun and deserves better.

This is why I kept my Mk 1 eyeballs peeled for a clean yet original example. With some help from friends and a little patience, I managed to buy one that is basically brand new, totally original, yet cost half of what a NIB example costs. That's called "getting ahead" my friend. :cool:

Ibmikey

You are a bit late in the HP offerings to pick really nice ones from Coles ( but maybe not too late). Most of the places like Aim and SOG are out and unless te new Prez changes things we will not get any more good stuff. As far as condition ( and i repeat myself from other posts) i stripped mine had a low luster polish done and expert bluing, i now have fully functional and new looking pistols. The good thing about the enamel finish even though ugly and scratched protects tne metal from damage. My refinishing was done by a person who has blued for a living over fifty years and not a sharp line or number lost it's clarity. I am not a computer person so photos are an impossibility except by text or email.

bryco32

I have a beat up FEG HP clone from cdi. It was BEAT and parked but ran Oh so Sweet! I liked it so much I bought a commercial FEG Clone NIB for $300 at a gun show.

Both shoot the same and feel the same. I Don't shoot the Nicer one much at all because I'm afraid to jack it up. It's a good looking clone.

If you decide that you like the platform then sell it for what you have it into it and put $ that towards a Real BHP.

Occasionally Free state arms on GB gets in Nice looking FEG or Mossad HP clones. They go fast though. Joshua Gonzalez is the guy to talk with there. Ask to be notified if a Nice one comes in. They have a ton of Arcus BHP *like* pistols they are moving now for cheap as well. They are ok for what they are.

Nathan

If the refinished guns have cerakote and new sight cuts, it might be worth it. Otherwise, you are better refinishing last after all work is done. It is kind of a cart before the horse thing. Also, I wonder how much finish prep is really being done. If you do your own, you can prep as much or little as you want. I'm guessing these guys blast and shoot these without any effort to straighten lines, remove marks, etc.

For those of you posting about value and refinishing, etc...,.these are well used high volume surplus guns. Many/most are buying to get a basic custom HiPower under $1000! So, yes, this kind of a build up will refinish and will add value as a shoot, carry, range, use gun! Not all old guns need to be held as museum pieces.

baddarryl

Bargains are out there for sure, but so much of this discussion seems penny wise and pound foolish.

I am really not sure why you would post that. I know my way around firearms a bit, but am just now trying to learn about the Hi Power. Thanks for your input.

Brutus

Sold my HiPower for a 1911 some 35 years ago. Not long ago I started getting the hots for one again. Started looking around but couldn't find much in the used market at an afforable price and a new one at 1K+ wasn't happening. Then I discovered CZ, in my opinion twice the gun at half the price with the same ergos, just my personnel take. Got to admit a Belgum Hi Power is still a thing of beauty and I'd still love to have one.

baddarryl

Then I discovered CZ, in my opinion twice the gun at half the price with the same ergos, just my personnel take. Got to admit a Belgum Hi Power is still a thing of beauty and I'd still love to have one.

That is kind of how I feel. I have a 75B and it is far and away my favorite pistol. Got rid of a 1911 myself too, but that was mostly due to the fact that I don't shoot .45. Would love to get one in 9mm (blasphemy I know), but probably not before a Hi Power. Something about them is magic.

tallball

If you want to learn about them, buy a cheap shooter. Over time you can replace the springs and grips and so forth, thus furthering your education. I bought my cheap shooter FEG about 25 years ago, and it still shoots great. And I never have to worry about it if the finish gets some scratches or something.

WVsig

The secret to buying BHPs is cash in your hand, educating your self on the different versions & models and pulling the trigger when you find the right guns.

I have purchased 15+ BHPs over the last 10+ years. Not a single one was NIB. The most I paid for one was $1000 for a T series full house custom with S&W revolver sights, beavertail etc.... that APW Cogan worked on.

Most have been purchased used ranging from $400 to $700 depending on what they were. Do not pay for a NIB gun. At $900 they are too much and there are far to many in the used market.

If you are looking for a long term durable shooter get a MKIII because its cast frame will last longer. It will have more modern combat sights, and dovetails, along with a usable ambi safety. Most 1911 shooters find the original BHP safety too small. It is usable but you have to change your technique a bit by using the joint in your thumb not the tip to disengage the safety.

These days the sweet spot for a decent MKIII is $450-$550 and condition will vary but most BHPs that have not been bubba'd will shoot. Some will look better than others. Most people put a premium on the blued MKIIIs over the epoxy but epoxy is more durable.

If you are looking at surplus guns from CDI always look for the best original finish I can find. If I feel the need to refinish a gun I want to be able to pick the finish and who is going to apply it. When I look at the surplus guns you want to look at CDI or Mach I's VG to excellent guns. Bore condition is more important than finish if you are looking for a shooter. Look for guns that have matching frame, slide and barrel. It is not that mix masters will not shoot but they are not as valuable so when comparing apples to apples you want matching pieces. The sweet spot for surplus BHPs from Israel is over IMHO. Most of the higher quality guns are long gone.

I bought this years ago for $450 OTD.

jew-power-3.gif

jew-power.gif

These days you get this for $440. This is still a solid shooter and with a re-blue or spray and bake of your choice and you can have a nice looking gun OTD for $550-$600 and you know exactly what you have vs a refinish done prior to your ownership.

pix395869235.jpg

In the end do not over pay! Auction sights, classifieds and even Armslist can be your friend. It also does not hurt to have a good transfer dealer! Happy hunting!

Crankylove

I just kept eyes open for one, and was patient, and found mind at a local store.

Found a '72 C series for $599, which was a good price around here, with very slight wear on the rails, mag safety already deleted, and 2 mags. Exterior finish was great, with one light idiot mark.

You could also watch for an FEG hi power clone. They are pretty good guns, and everything but the girp screws swap with the Browning versions, if that matters to you. I picked one up for $299, and just was every bit as accurate and reliable as my Begian hipower, just not quite as nice a blue job.

rock185

Hello Bad, If you can spend around $650, I'd suggest keep looking. You might very well find a clean MKIII with original finish for that money. Hi Powers are not common around here either, but a year or so ago I came across an excellent forged frame MKIII with original finish for $650.00 in a LGS.