On the scout for cast use in the. (7.62X39)

Took a gander at my preferred reference tool (Castpics.) hoping to see cast lead use in the 7.62X39. No such column of recipes exists.
Anyone have another web site I can check-out having such lead recipes available?__My Regards,

T. O'Heir

There's some cast data on Reloader's Nest. Some of it is decidedly questionable though. One guy posted an unverified load using a cast 185 grain bullet and Trailboss. There are several far more reasonable loads though. There's a 90 grain and a 115 load using TiteGroup.
Couple 110 and 115 grain loads on Handloads.com too.

condor bravo

The Lyman cast bullet handbook has listings for four cast bullet weight loads for the 7.62 x 39. Is there any particular bullet weight or powder or combination you are interested in?

condor bravo

Here's the breakdown on the Lyman loadings: All four bullet weights utilize the same seven powders, Unique, SR 4759, IMR 4227, 5744, IMR 4198, Rx 7, and 2230, and the four cast bullet weights are 115, 130, 155 and 160. Does any of that sound interesting for the specific loads that I will pass along?

Jimro

What follows is advice from C.E. Harris, which he wrote in 1994 (I've edited out all the stuff not relating to 7.62x39).

C.E. Harris-

I have reloaded thousands of rounds of 7.62X39 ammunition with both cast bullets and jacketed, in the AK and the SKS. I got frustrated with the AK as accuracy of these seems is generally poor, at best about 5-6" at 100 yards. The SKS is more reasonable, about 3-4" and is still a real bargain these days. Most SKS rifles group better with cast bullets than they do with ball ammunition. If you are new to cast bullet shooting or not inclined to do a lot of experimenting, I recommend 14.5-15.5 grs. of Hercules #2400 with the Lee .312-155-2R bullet, cast of wheel weights and sized .312". With this load the rifle functions like the proverbial pony trotting, and dumps the cases right at your feet! You can also try 18-21 grs. of 4198 or 16-18 grs. of 4227 with any bullet from 122-125 grs.

The gas ports on these guns are larger than they need to be for reliable functioning. Lead fouling of the gas port is not a problem, but the gas piston and cylinder will foul, which can affect functioning if neglected. The gas piston should be removed and cleaned with Break Free, Marvel Mystery Oil or Dexron IIe ATF and 000 steel wool after each use, and the gas cylinder scrubbed with a shotgun bore brush. Liberally lubricating with Break Free, Marvel Mystery Oil or Dexron prior to reassembly eases the fouling problem.

Above 1800 f.p.s. I use the same alloy, but cast the bullets "hot" until they are uniformly frosted, then quench them directly from the mould. The heattreated, double-lubed bullets will stand 2000 fps. in wheelweight alloy without leading, if shot straight from the mould without sizing, being GC'ed in a .313" die. A caseful (28 grs.) of Accurate 2230, 2460, or H335 gives around 2000 f.p.s. in the 7.62x39.

Accurate Arms 1680 is very similar to the Olin 680 Ball powder, though slightly slower. Both of these powders are used in 7.62x39 ball ammunition, with a charge of 24 grs. being correct for service velocities with 123-gr. jacketed bullets using the Accurate-IMI propellant, and 23 grs. for the slightly faster Olin powder. For a full-power load approximating service ammunition you can also use 26.5 grs. of RL-7 or 25.0 grs. of IMR or H4198. With cast bullets the minimum load with 1680 which functions the SKS with the Lee .312-155-2R is 16 grs. In the SKS this produces about 1420 f.p.s. and 3" groups at 100 yds.; 18 grs. gives 1630 f.p.s. and 4" groups in the SKS. I did two strings with the Olin 680 for comparison with the NEI 155-gr. cast bullet at 18 and 19 grs., respectively, which gave 1810 and 1930 f.p.s. I would not exceed 19 grs. of Olin 680, or 20 grs. of Accurate 1680 with the 155-gr. cast bullet, as these are both full loads.

#

I hope that is helpful.

Jimro

Is there any particular bullet weight or powder or combination you are interested in?
G/c cast on the heavy side is what I was hoping to find. 150 or more. I intend on buying a mold from NOE if I need too. Have a few of my own 30 cals too.

As far as powders. IMR & AA are good. Only quick burners I have are IMR 4227 & 4198 and AA-2230. Have a few other powder typical for use in those long throw bolt rifles handy also.
BTW: no worry of gas port plugging here. Rife is a CZ-527 bolt.
Appreciate your asking.

condor bravo

Here are the loads for the two heaviest bullets in the Lyman manual and the three matching powders that you have:

155 gr Lee C312-155-2R
13.0 to 18.0 4227
15.0 to 20.3 4198
19.0 to 27.0 (compressed) 2230

160 gr Lee CTL312-160-2R
14.5 to 17.5 4227
16.0 to 20.3 4198
18.0 to 25.3 2230

Those two bullets are gas checked.

Last edited:

chris in va

I also cast for my CZ.

Alternatively if you get tired of paying $40 for gas checks, you can powdercoat with great results.

A bit of advice. Don't push the shoulder back at all when resizing. Doing so increases the chance of a light strike. It would be best to get a neck sizing die but I have to make do with the Lee FLRD.

but the gas piston and cylinder will foul, which can affect functioning if neglected.

YES. Happened to me with an AK I had. A lead ring formed around the piston and locked it up solid. Two mags and done.

Alternatively if you get tired of paying $40 for gas checks,
Not intending to shoot it that much. So Hornady Checks are not a problem. Its a give away birthday rifle to my Grandson. Bought it because its easy and cheap to shoot. (one less likely he'll sell or pawn when he's older.) Although he'll will be using my gear to reload for it. "Better a bolt than a semi was indeed in the back of my mind at the time of its purchase.:D"

For the time being it appears non of those 30 cal molds I already have will not work as there all above 160 in weight.

Thank you Condor Bravo. for the 150-160gr. recipes._PERFECT!!

Checked NOE out. Here's a mold I think will work. And there's a 20% discount if purchased over this 4th of July weekend. So that's "Handy Dandy"
http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=31_269&products_id=1885

P.script: Just a thought. Maybe down the road I'll send the mold to someone I know who Points. Slick it up a little by having one of its cavity's cup tipped. ;)

My Thanks, to all who have commented.

Jimro:
Interesting write. As read it apply's to the semi-auto types. But~~what I believe the jest of the article is. The articles hand loadings apply to any receivers use.
By the way. Do you happen know which form of powder was originally used in this cartridge? (Stick or Ball) <- i.e. That would be nice to know prior to my hand-loading start-up.