? on mounts/bases??????????

whitearrow

hello all.i am new here so cut me some slack if this has been beat to death on this site.i just bought a remington m700 ltr in .308 win. and am planning on using a leupold vari-x 3,3.5-10x50mm scope on it that i have laying around.to my question,i have always used leupold 1 piece mounts on all of my rifles from model 700's to model 70's and had good luck with them.and i want to stay with leupold rings and bases with this ltr also.i notice that the army uses a 1 piece base on there m24 sniper rifle system.that being said why would they use the 1 piece if it weren't superior in strength and probably other things to the 2 piece base?but,i see where the 2 piece bases use 4 screws vs 3,i believe,for the 1 piece base from leupold.so someone please give me some clarity on this and PLEASE ease my mind because i want a solid shtf/hunting rifle.so guys what is the most solid system,1 piece or 2 piece?
thanks,
whitearrow->>>-------------------->

Yithian

Two-piece is better for those rifles where the spent cartridge is ejected at an upward angle. If you used a one-piece, the cartridge could hang up on a fast cycle, stovepiping in the action.
As you say tho. A one-piece is better for keeping the scope on the straight and true. Two-piece bases can be put on slightly out-of-line and flex the scope. A flex in the scope can skew the sight picture enough to matter on those long range shots.

Its all a trade of what you are comfortable with.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I've been using Weaver bases and rings since 1950. Every now and then I've run across some particular rifle where a mount base of whatever sort that had a windage adjustment solved an off-angle problem. But, mostly, those old Weavers work as well as anything. (Not talking about very-long-range stuff, as in the 800- to 1,000-yard target shooting.)

As far as strength, most one-piece bases I've seen use three screws. Since the only strength requirement is for resistance against shear during recoil, I can only note that four screws are 33% stronger in shear than three screws.

But Conetrols are purtier than Weavers...

:), Art

whitearrow

if the 2 piece bases are stronger why in the world did the army sniper system go with a 1 piece base?does anybody have a clue?

Yithian

Sniper = long range...

Any cant in the scope, from an out-of-line set of scope bases, could mean the difference between a 'kill' and a miss.

sureshots

one piece scope mount

I use A one piece mount called The Game Reaper by Dednutz. Check them out at www.dednutz.comClick on order now and you will find A picture of one mounted on A Rem. 700

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I don't see where "straightness" has anything to do with anything. Seems to me that what matters is that the scope's crosshairs are in agreement with the gunbarrel. In and of themselves, the crosshairs are indifferent to what sort of mounts are used.

Realize that I am not a benchrest competitor: If my "don't worry about it" sloppy ways keep getting me 1/2- to 3/4-MOA in a hunting rifle, give or take an eighth or so, why am I supposed to be all nit-picky about details?

:), Art

sc928porsche

As long as the holes are drilled straight and inline with the barrel, a scope alignment bar is used when mounting the bases and rings, either will do well.

skinewmexico

I would have to say, if you're not sniping in a war, who cares what the military uses. But they don't use a Leupold one-piece base. I'm sure they're using something like a Farrell 20 MOA base, since it gives you so much adjustment in mounting, and the elevation needed to lob a 308 to 1000 yards.

Your shtf/hunting rifle will be just as solid using one piece or two piece bases, if they are of any kind of quality at all. You're over-analyizing. If you use Burris signature zee rings, they rings adjust for any minor alignment problems anyway, and you don't have to do any old school lapping.