??? on loading buckshot

okiefarmer

I have the LYMAN shotshell reloading manual, but read on another forum (and can't find it right now, it was just a link I ran across) but a gent on that forum made the comment to "just use the correct wieght load for the buckshot as if it were regular shot. An ounce load is an ounce load, don't matter what the size of the balls are. I have loaded long enough to realize that as a true statement as we have loaded everything from #9 down to #2 in hunting loads since the early 70's. Don't remember where, maybe here but I can't find it in a search, but thought it was stated that the larger buckshot will cause some additional pressure curves at the muzzle when they won't squeeze down like smaller shot.

I have cast up about 10# of WW .311 balls in the LEE mould. These fit very nicely in a shot cup 3 to a layer. Loading 3 layers, 9 balls total is very close to a 1 ounce load equivalent.

Many of the buckshot load recommendations seem to use the slower powders, but there are many loadings using 770X, Unique, and other typical shotshell powders I am familiar with.

Anyone have any experience using regular size shotshell load recommendations using what is affectively 000 buck? Just askin'.

Robert Rinker's, Understanding Firearm Ballistics includes some information and tables on buckshot. #00 buckshot is .33" diameter, #0 buckshot is .32", and #1 buckshot is .30", so, at .311", you are between #0 and #1. If there were such a thing as #0.5 buckshot, that's about what yours would be. I would use it as if it were #0 buckshot. He writes:

Smaller buckshot has a larger total pellet weight because they fit more efficiently in the space available. This higher weight will sacrifice a little in muzzle velocity, but it is usually not enough to be important.

{from his table, modified for this format}
. . .
12 ga. 2 3/4", standard pressure, #0 buckshot, 12 pellets, 4 layers of 3 per layer, 1275 fps, 1.32 oz. shot weight.
. . .
Velocity is taken 3 feet from the muzzle of a full choke barrel with a tolerance of +/- 50 fps.

Single 0 buckshot is the only one for which he lists no magnum loads in either 2 3/4" ro 3" shells. He notes the pellet count of 12 and the other pellet counts given in the complete version of his table is a maximum, but that some makers use fewer. Probably to gain velocity. Putting only 2 in the top layer is apparently not uncommon.

As to powders, shot loads will follow the same behavior as other guns do. Lighter and slower loads will be more consistent and efficient with a faster powder, while heavier and faster loads will do better with a slower powder. Shot buffer between the shot pellets can help limit distortion and improve patterns. It may be necessary to use buffer when you short the top layer pellet count to keep the shell shape uniform in some instances?

Rinker gives a 25 fps faster MV of 1300 fps for single 0 buck in another table, then a 50 yard drop to 945 fps. That means about half the muzzle energy remains at 50 yards. He says his patterning indicates clean kills on deer would be difficult to be sure of at 40 yards (standard patterning distance). Buckshot is a deer stalker's load. He recommends 25 yards with #00 from a modified choke as a starting place for those learning to hunt with it. I don't have any hunting experience with buckshot, so I'll defer on that assertion, to those who do.

okiefarmer

What was I thinkin'? I knew .311 was smaller, but was thinking left of 00 buck and not right on the chart.:confused: Anyway, my WW balls will fall a little closer to 1-1/4 ounce loads, being about 45 grains each if I load 12 balls. I don't want to get beat up everytime I shoot these things, so was considering the 9 ball loadings instead. I may play with 12 balls too.

I want to use a wad for my buckshot loads, so that was reason for casting the .311, (the smallest mold LEE makes).

From your sources and comments, I should be able to load up my 9 pellet loads using 1 ounce recommendations in LYMAN and be quite safe then.

Thanks,
Okie out

I do a 12 ball load like yours using Universal. I use win AA hulls, waa12r wads, and win209 primers. I think I was using around 24 grains (IIRC) yielding right around 1220 fps. I think I used 1 1/4 oz heavy field load data. I am getting ready to develop a high velocity load using Longshot. Gonna pick some up this weekend. :D By the way, the 12 ball load is a kicker! My buddy bruised his cheek when he shot them out of my Winchester featherweight!

Hodgdons website is where I got my data:

Lead Buckshot 12 27-#4 LEAD BUCKSHOT Universal Win. 209 WAA12R 23.6 10,400 PSI 1250

27 of the #4 is right at 1 1/4 oz. My round balls come out of a Do-It Mold at 42 grains each, and I use 24 grains for a velocty of 1220 FPS. I just checked my Reloading Log.

Last edited:

okiefarmer

I just weighed 9 pellets on my RCBS scale. Right at 400 grains, so a shade under a 1 ounce load. The LEE tangential cutoff sprueplate likely takes a bit of weight off compared to a true .311 RB if there is such a thing.

Coyote hunter, where did you get your do-it mold? I watch ebay for those, but never see RB molds that small. What size are you casting and is it pure lead or WW like mine?

I still think I'm gonna load up some 9 ball loads initially to see how they shoot. I don't want to kill myself just having fun.

Thanks

I ordered my Do-It mold from the company. It makes rounds balls right in between #1 and 0 buck (for the 12 pellets load, 42 grn each WW) and buckshot a tad larger than 000 buck (6 pellet load at 75 grn each WW). No sprue on this mold....you just use a set of pliers and they twist off the main stem very easily. Makes for quick buckshot.

http://www.do-itmolds.com/prodmolds.aspx?c=88

Item 1152

doitmold003.jpg

doitmold001.jpg