OMG, another newbie, hat in hand...

Hayley

asking lame questions. Well with apologies: I'm left-handed, and I'm looking for a good ccw with more accuracy and power than either my Kel Tec p32 or S&W 442 (after maybe 400 rounds I still can't master the trigger technique of the double action sufficiently well to feel comfortable with the 442 as my primary carry piece) And I'm wanting not to spend more than $500. I am really interested in in the CZ 85 compact, which I understand has ambi safety, but it seems kinda rare--and it's not even featured on the CZ USA website. Also, I noticed on Bud's gunshop website yesterday the Beretta 9000s for under $350, but I couldn't get definitive info about how Lefty-friendly the little pistol is. And further, there is the issue of 9mm v 40s&w. I would really like to get decent groupings out to 25 yards. I can manage that with my SA 1911--even out to 50 yards. So if, for example with the 9000s, there are 9mm and 40 versions available, will either round matter significantly in this regard? I read into another thread on this forum about 9mm and 40cal and got sorta lost.

Ok, if anyone bothers to read this--and even replies, I give thanks in advance! GGB!

tory

glock 26

im a lefty myself and have a glock 17 which is very easy for me to operate, i hit the magazine release with my index finger which i also hit the slide release with, very simple to operate and no manually operated safety (3 passive safeties and a trigger safety) the glock 26 is just a sub-compact version of the glock 17 which is a 9mm parabellum, and it goes for about $400 in my parts *i chose the 9mm cuz you can get many many different varieties of +p/+p+ ammo, and regular plinking ammo is dirt cheap

Last edited:

johndavid400

Hayley: you might look at the CZ P-01 9mm compact, they go for about $450 , or the CZ P-100 9mm polymer framed for $375.

Also if you are looking at a .40, the CZ 40-P comes in a compact .40s&w and runs about $310.

They are both, in my opinion, good looking guns and I have heard good stuff about both. If you want a good long range gun, I think that 9mm has better long range performance. If you want something cheap to shoot a lot at the range then 9mm is definitely better. Compare cheap 9mm ammo @ $3.86 a box to the .40s&w ammo which is $9.00 a box. If you would feel more comfortable with a .40 then get one, I think they are actually a bit cheaper for the actual gun for some reason (as far as the CZ models go anyways). I love shooting my 9mm's for target shooting and with +p or hydra-shok ammo, I feel safe.... just my 2 cents

michael t

You say you have a 1911 fix the safety for a lefty and carry it. money left over for Good holster and belt Then buy more ammo and practice.

Smurfslayer

Older 640 ? A friend has one, without all the fancy lockwork, and the trigger is right where it should be, about 9 pounds DA... Look for an older model on Gunbroker...

25 yards capable is a tall order for a snub, or really concealable gun. The rugers are pretty friendly to lefty's too, a friend just bought a p97 from Galyans for $250, new.

just a couple thoughts off the top...
HTH

scottys1

I am also left handed and I feel your pain.
As far as 25 yd accuracy, for any practical purpose 9mm and .40 (or .45) are the same.
As michael t said, the cheapest way out of your dilemma would be to put an ambi safety on your existing 1911.
Before you get serious about a Beretta 9000, hold one in your hands. They are very thick and rather clunky.
I have no personal experience with a CZ85. I would assume they are as good as the rest of the CZ line.
A Glock would be a good choice. I like my Glock 22 (.40 cal) just fine. I shot USPSA matches with it for about a year.
If you have a range near you that rents guns, rent whatever they have that seems suitable and have at it.

Hayley

I really appreciate the responses...and like nearly all the threads on this site, I've enjoyed reading them. Michael, I will look into smithing the safety on my 1911. It's a champion, which I've just picked-up slim grips for, so it is a carry option (plus, I just really like it). JohnDavid, the cz p-01 is a pistol I would love to own, but is it a lefty piece? I'll have to go to the next gunshow in my town (Lexington, ky) and look for one. Scotty, the closet range to me burned-down a few months ago. But they are rebuilding. Formerly they did have rentals, I'll have to see what they offer. I know they had Glocks, and Tory, perhaps they'll have the 17. I'll look forward to working-out with one. Smurfslayer (? that's rich) I'll keep an eye out for the 640. Thanks a bushell

arp415

I also recomend trying out the XD line from springfield. They have similar controls to glock (no manual saftey) and they just fit better in the hands ( for me, go hold one yourself) Also I found even the 3" sub compact model to be quite accurate, and have heard great things about the 4" and 5" models. Also, if you get the .40 or .357 sig version you can buy conversion barrels for all 3 calibers ( 9,40,357). Just go try it out :) Also try going to a range that rents guns and try varios guns in calibers you are interested in. you will get your best advice from your own personal experience.