Olympic Arms AR

rodwhaincamo

I've heard that Olympic Arms AR's are inaccurate junk. Anyone have experience with them? I'm interested in the 6 x 45mm (cheap and easily found brass w/ a bullet better designed for medium game). I cannot find any other manufacturer that has the 6mm as an option.

Scorch

Olympic Arms got a bad reputation years ago. Olympic made a low-cost AR with cast upper and lower receivers years ago that gave their reputation a black eye. Lots of people bought them because of low cost, then whined and complained when their low-cost rifle would not take standard AR15 parts (mainly trigger pins) and the finish scratched easily.

Olympic has quit offering those rifles, and offers rifles built of high-quality forgings and put good barrels on their rifles. Several people I know shoot them in Service Rifle matches with no issues. Although I do not own one, their rifles appear to be well built and of good quality. They come with a lifetime warranty, and you don't give out lifetime warranties on poor-quality products, it is too expensive.

jhgreasemonkey

I tried a few different models at "the day at the range" they put on a few years ago, and they all were plenty accurate. Also got a tour of their factory which was kind of neat to see how they are built. I'm with Sorch above, I don't own one but really can't say anything bad about the current ones. In fact I hear more positive things than bad.

MiniZ

Accuracy ususally isn't an issue with an Oly. They have some of the better barrels in the AR world, especially at the price point they are at.

globemaster3

Last weekend I put 40 rounds through an Olympic Arms K68UR (6.8 SPC) upper mounted to a DTI lower build. This is a 16" heavy barrel configuration and I upgraded it with a free-float handguard and picatinny rail gas block. The intent was another deer rifle for my 13 yo.

No failures at all with the 40 rounds thus far. Accuracy with Hornady 110 gr VMax was 2-2.5" @ 100 yards and that was with a lot of soda in my system.

I visited their factory last summer and had a great time talking with the folks there and got a complete tour of their facility.

I agree with Scorch: they are much maligned for past problems, but today they seem to be producing quality guns for their price point. The folks there are friendly and they offer a lifetime guarantee.

stuffaknuckle

I have a RRA AR and a oly AR. I have shot them both side by side to compare and I didnt feel a differance between the two at all. Also, I have never had a problem with the oly. Actuallly, Ive had more problems with the RRA!

stuffaknuckle

What chipperman said.:D

The deltron AR's are good quality also and go for (I do believe) about the same price as the olys. They had a special going a couple months ago for the rifle, 4 mags, carry handle, and the armors tool for $760.00.

Oly has some issues; but inaccuracy has never been one of them. They do make exceptionally accurate barrels; but they tend towards really tight .223 chambers that can be less reliable as a result. Don't know a thing about their 6.5 offerings.

pbratton

I put together an Oly kit back in the good ol' AWB days.

It's been a great shooter from day one. I'd have another one without hesitation.

In fact, if anyone wants to get rid of their crappy Oly, I'll take it off your hands. :D

EAJ702

Had a minor issue with my K16, which I purchased a few years ago and resolved on my own and it’s been accurate and reliable since then. I hope I never have to rely on their (non-existent) support again.

olyk16_16.jpg

Jimro

Oly Arms has "interesting" customer service.

A buddy of mine picked up his Oly in trade, the bolt broke in half, and over the phone Oly said that since he wasn't the original owner he would have to buy a new bolt and pay to have the headspace checked.

Fast forward a few months when his wife decides to give him a present by fixing his AR. She takes the broke rifle to the shop (local, but still a little drive) the guy behind the counter says "Heck, lifetime guarantee" and replaced the bolt and verified headspace for free.

So I guess it may be different people on the phone and at the counter.

Jimro