Older S&W trigger styles and gun models

YosemiteSam357

I've been on a quest recently to get an older S&W revolver, something along the lines of a Model 19 (Combat Masterpiece). I much prefer the smooth/wide "target" style trigger and (less importantly) the wide-tang target hammer. Most of the 19s I've seen have (appropriately) the "combat" style ridged trigger/knurled hammer combo.

Are there certain models that I'm more likely to find the target parts on than others? I'm assuming that a) finding old-style parts and b) fitting them to an older gun is not trivial. I'm a halfway decent kitchen table 'smith, but realize that the trigger and hammer mating surfaces are tricky, and that replacing them may very well be beyond my skills.

While I've got the floor, can someone explain the model variations that S&W uses, and if they mean the same thing across different models? Eg, 19-3, 19-4, and how a 19-4 might compare to (say) a 10-4? I know the 19 is the .357 Combat Masterpiece, and the 10 is a .38 special, but what is the significance of the "-4"?

Thanks in advance,

-- Sam

SnWnMe

The best way to get a 19 with a smooth trigger is to (what else?) polish the trigger yourself. Like you I don't like the serrated triggers. They give me blisters when I practice rapid fire. So I take the trigger out of the gun and file the ridges just enough to break the edges. You will need something more than a file of course if you want to sand down the serrations.

The -4 mods, for the most part, will signify the same changes across models that have been around for awhile like the 10 and the 19. The new TR21 is a -4 but there never was a 21-3 I don't think. But since it had the -4 mods, they named it as such.

Majic

Wide triggers are target triggers and they are serrated. The Combat triggers are narrower and have a smooth face. If you want a wide smooth trigger you will have to grind and polish off the serrations.

Grayfox

The "dash" nunbers indicate engineering changes for that particular model. A Model 19-4 indicates that this is the fourth engineering change version. For the most part these engineering changes were relatively small and simply improvements made to the model over the years.
The dash number applies only to that model. The same dash number doesn't mean the same thing on all models.
For example a Model 19-4 (1977) indicates "change gas ring from yoke to cylinder".
Where a Model 10-4 (1962) indicates "triggerguard screw eliminated on standard model".

During the 60' and 70s when the Model 19 was at its peak, the favored hammer and trigger style of the time was the .400" Target trigger and .500" full target hammer. These were so popular that most of the S&W revolver line was avalible with them and they are commonly encountered. The Model 19 is often found with them or the standard .265" serated service trigger and hammer.
During the 80s, I believe it was, S&W did start offering the .312" smooth combat trigger and the .375" semi-target hammer. (My personal favorites ;) ). Some Model 19s were built with them, but they may be hard to find in that particular configuration. I don't recall seeing many. I think your best chance would be to look at Model 19-6s or later to find one.

The smooth trigger and semi-target hammers can be fitted to older guns. But this is a job best left to an experienced S&W gunsmith.

SnWnMe

I stand corrected about the 10. The -4 referred to the same thing (gas ring relocation) in the following models:
14, 15, 17, 18, 19 and 48

YosemiteSam357

Thanks for the great info! Looks like it may be time to get a book on S&W revolvers, assuming any go into this level of detail.

-- Sam, currently looking at a 19-3.

BillCA

Yosemite...

You might also try Gun Parts Corp for S&W triggers. You'll have to do the research to find out what S&W part numbers are for the trigger(s) and/or hammer(s) you want.

XavierBreath

The Book you want.

0873492722.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson